Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small pet minders/kennels???

Options
  • 21-04-2008 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

I was just wondering is there anything like this available around Tallaght/Clondalkin?

My Mum is currently looking after my sisters Guinea pigs(6) & I think it would make a great little business.

My questions are:
    Do you think a service like this is needed?
    Do people find it hard to find someone to look after their small animal?
    Would owners prefer to have there Rabbits/ GPs kept indoors/ outdoors?
    Would they want their animals kept separate from any other lodgers?
    What do you reckon is a fair price to pay for boarding?

Thanks for the input
    Ami:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Do you think a service like this is needed?

Definetly, esp. in the Dublin area although she would not be run off her feet but with good advertising she should get a few and with word of mouth she will get more.

Do people find it hard to find someone to look after their small animal?

People find it very hard to find someone because many neighbours or family or friends dont like small animals or have no experience and they need someone they can trust to care for their wee critters and be prepared to clean them out daily etc.

Would owners prefer to have there Rabbits/ GPs kept indoors/ outdoors?

Most people want their guinea pigs indoors, it depends how they are kept in their own house. If a guinea is used to an indoor home only then a boarder cannot put the pigs outside, I find the norm is people keep their pigs indoors at night and in bad weather and have a secure sheltered outdoor run on nice days. Same with rabbits. If she wants to board both pigs and rabbits then she would need to seperate rooms for them and also somewhere to put a pair of male guinea pigs because if they smell a female a bonded pair of males will fight and the pigs owners will not be happy.

Would they want their animals kept separate from any other lodgers?

Of course, guinea pig ailments can be highly contagious to other guineas and they should be kept well away from rabbits so pasteurella isnt passed on to the guineas.
    Never mix one group of guineas with another one that is belonged to someone else. Also ensure owners are aware that their pigs must not have any known health issues or skin issues like fungal skin as these are contagious.

A piggy boarder must also have access to a 24 hour small animal vet in case a boarder becomes ill.

What do you reckon is a fair price to pay for boarding?

It depends on the amount of animals, wether you have to pay for their food etc. Owners should bring their own dry food if its different to what the boarding place uses otherwise there could be upset tums.

Click here for a price list to give you an idea the site will also give you more of an idea of what people are looking for.
    http://www.freewebs.com/guineapigcottage/guineapigboarding.htm

It's a big responsibility as people that go to the trouble of boarding their pigs and rabbits love them as many love their cat or dog.
    But it is a nice little side line to have and people are so relieved to have their pigs or rabbits cared for properly. It's lovely to see someone going off on their hols knowing their animals will be ok, and to see them so happy to see their critters again.

Advertisement