Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgraditis

Options
  • 21-04-2008 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

Just a little curious as to why people upgrade their systems. I know that 10years ago, I was content with a 14" TV with the four basic channels. It's evolved now to a much more substantial home cinema experience.

I know for the majority of people that it's a combination of the above, but if you had to tie it down and pick one which would you say most influences your buying...

Why do you upgrade? 3 votes

Money burning a hole in pocket
    0% 0 votes
    Boredom
    33% 1 vote
    The lady of the house will allow it
    33% 1 vote
    Old one busted
    33% 1 vote

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's all about getting the best possible experience.

Anytime we buy equipment we have to make a compromise, maybe because of money, or because we don't have space for a huge screen or we can't have an overly loud sound system. and of course there's always limits to what the current technology provides.

Over time, circumstances change, we might have more money, more space, more tolerant neighbours :), and of course technology is always improving, so we get to move ever closer to perfection.

Some people are happy to settle for "good enough". Some people want perfection in their cars or their clothes or their coffee, others want it in their AV equipment.

Also, it's just really cool to get some new gizmo or gadget that does something you couldn't do before, or just does something better than you've been able to do before, or makes things work together in a better way. There's a buzz to researching something, getting it, hooking it up and finding that it works as well as, or even better than, you expected. I've long been a sufferer of shiny-new-toy-itis :)

Advertisement