Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing Equipment in Cork

Options
  • 21-04-2008 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

First post in the Angling section guys...

Anyone from Cork use this section?

I am just about to start river fishing, my local river in Macroom (Sullane) has mainly brown trout Im told. Anyone on here fish there before?

Where in Cork, is the best place to buy rods, reels, etc?

Cheers guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭wayne riley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Already had a look on there, not much info on shops at all Im afraid.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You can always call the local fishery board and ask.
    Southern Regional Fishery Board

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tony H

Have a look in Peter Horne's in Blarney ,he has everything,great selection of top class rods and reels , ,there is also a good place in the industrial park opposite harvey norman's on the Kinsale road ,Murray's in Patrick street is fairly good

fitzdragon wrote: »
    Have a look in Peter Horne's in Blarney ,he has everything,great selection of top class rods and reels , ,there is also a good place in the industrial park opposite harvey norman's on the Kinsale road ,Murray's in Patrick street is fairly good

That's what I'm looking for, cheers fitzdragon!

• Advertisement

Murray's in Patrick street is fairly good

Where on Patrick St is this shop? Is it a sports shop or dedicated fishing shop?

Sorry, Im only living in Co. Cork 2 years.

Murray's is next to the main Ulster bank . it's not a dedicated angling shop , has other sports stuff as well

if you are not driving the one on the kinsale road is not too far a walk from the park and ride and has a much better selection , there is also another dedicated angling shop on the quay just up from the opera house , i have found them a little expensive though

Murray's is next to the main Ulster bank . it's not a dedicated angling shop , has other sports stuff as well

I think I know it! Thanks fitzdragon.

I am driving so can visit them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭zenit

Get advice on tackle locally but shop online. Try www.fishingmegastore.com . It may seem unpatriotic but the choice and value are fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Where on Patrick St is this shop? Is it a sports shop or dedicated fishing shop?

Sorry, Im only living in Co. Cork 2 years.

LOL I went in there last summer asking if they had any hemp (coarse fishing) only to be told by some young oik ! that it was an illegal drug :eek:
    depending on where you are in cork - there's a super shop just behind Cork Crystal on the industrial estate next to the Kinsale roundabout in Cork - cant remenber the name but course/sea/trout - all the gear & loads of local knowledge

Andi

zenit wrote: »
    Get advice on tackle locally but shop online. Try www.fishingmegastore.com . It may seem unpatriotic but the choice and value are fantastic.

Its very hard to buy online for a beginner, I wouldnt know what to get really. Thanks for the link though, I might use it some time in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Im from cork and the best place is cork angling on the kinsale road roundabout.Very cheap and the lads are very helpful!Huge shop

You are suggesting you don't buy anything in your local tackle shop? But then you go in and ask all kinds of questions about where and when to catch a bundle of fish.

They are intelligent people. So in those circumstances what value would you place on the advice they give you?

If you want their help - give them your business. It's a fair deal, you buy stuff and then they will help you, and then you catch fish. Catching fish is what it's about.
    After you can catch the fish ... then do as you like. You don't need help any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭zenit

coolwings wrote: »
    You are suggesting you don't buy anything in your local tackle shop? But then you go in and ask all kinds of questions about where and when to catch a bundle of fish.

They are intelligent people. So in those circumstances what value would you place on the advice they give you?

If you want their help - give them your business. It's a fair deal, you buy stuff and then they will help you, and then you catch fish. Catching fish is what it's about.
    After you can catch the fish ... then do as you like. You don't need help any more.

I buy both locally and online. If I can get the tackle I need here, at a price that I consider fair, I will always get it here. The advantage of online shopping is the vast range of the most up to date equipment. If I can inform myself of internet pricing before shopping here I can negotiate the best price for myself.
    As for advice I was suggesting getting it from the local fishing club or individual fishermen, I would never abuse the advice gained from local tackle shops by giving nothing back.
    Catching fish is always a bonus but not what it's all about. If that is all it means to you then I think you should take up golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

There is also a great wee fishing shop on the Pouladuff Road called Sharkies, just head up Barrack St. and take a left at the traffic lights, then its about a 5 minute walk just past a Maxol station on your right hand side.

I found the owner to be very helpful & knowledgeable - he sells rods, tackle, bait and kinds of other fishing paraphernalia but is most likely a bit more expensive than the place on the Kinsale Road.

I buy both locally and online. ... If I can inform myself of internet pricing before shopping here I can negotiate the best price for myself. .
    Absolutely .... I like to browse huge international catalogues too, and we all like to be informed.
    Catching fish is always a bonus but not what it's all about. If that is all it means to you then I think you should take up golf.
    Errr ... what was all that about? After fishing for over 40 years I'm not looking at golf thanks.

I merely thought it was a good idea to mention that a local tackle shop tells expertise-seeking-non-customer-people to go to the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong bait. Or they give no advice. It is what happens.

Sometimes the guys in the local club will offer help. Sometimes they wont'. But tackle shop staff can be counted on to do the best for their customers. Their livelihood depends on it. So it can be a reliable source of information if used properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 woody guthrie

First post in the Angling section guys...

Anyone from Cork use this section?

I am just about to start river fishing, my local river in Macroom (Sullane) has mainly brown trout Im told. Anyone on here fish there before?

Where in Cork, is the best place to buy rods, reels, etc?

Cheers guys.

I fish the Sullane on the fly around the macroom area, plenty of fish all around 6 to 8 inches with odd larger one. They were taking nymphs trundled along the bottom early on in the season, PTN, Hares Ears etc. The last few weeks the dry fly fishing has been very good, hatches of flies throughout the day and I have caught fish on olive comparaduns and a variety of deer hair emerger patterns. Seems to be fish everywhere but they spook quite easily so wander about a bit, look for a trout rising or flick a bushy dry through a nice bit of ripple. Good luck.
    Browntrout2-4-08001.jpg
    http://flyfishireland.wordpress.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 56K Natas

The shop on the kinsale road would be your best bet .
    What are you going to be fishing for
    Trout Pike Bream ????

• Registered Users Posts: 42 JakeH1979

Anybody got good directions to his shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Ryan!

I buy both locally and online. If I can get the tackle I need here, at a price that I consider fair, I will always get it here. The advantage of online shopping is the vast range of the most up to date equipment. If I can inform myself of internet pricing before shopping here I can negotiate the best price for myself.
    As for advice I was suggesting getting it from the local fishing club or individual fishermen, I would never abuse the advice gained from local tackle shops by giving nothing back.

+1

Advertisement