Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters degree & overtime

Options
  • 20-04-2008 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if you do the masters what way does overtime work in year 1 and 2 with the big 4?

Now I know any overtime done is taken as exam leave but if I have no exams do I get paid or time off for overtime done? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Fruiti

Well having done the masters you will just have FAE to sit and if you want to take the max study leave in my firm anyway you will need approx. 6 weeks overtime worked up. this gives you 13 or 14 weeks study leave for FAE. you simply work your overtime as usual and once you have the 6 weeks worked up you can take the extra time as extra holidays. you can take overtime leave whenever you want but it's best to work up enough for the max FAE leave before you start taking extra holidays. if you're in Audit you'll have no trouble working up the time, you'll have loads of overtime. if you're in Tax or a smaller dept you may not have as much (as you'll need some for tax exams) - in that event you can take negative leave and work it during the last year of your contract (or take less FAE time).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Fruiti wrote: »
    Well having done the masters you will just have FAE to sit and if you want to take the max study leave in my firm anyway you will need approx. 6 weeks overtime worked up. this gives you 13 or 14 weeks study leave for FAE. you simply work your overtime as usual and once you have the 6 weeks worked up you can take the extra time as extra holidays. you can take overtime leave whenever you want but it's best to work up enough for the max FAE leave before you start taking extra holidays. if you're in Audit you'll have no trouble working up the time, you'll have loads of overtime. if you're in Tax or a smaller dept you may not have as much (as you'll need some for tax exams) - in that event you can take negative leave and work it during the last year of your contract (or take less FAE time).

So its just holidays for overtime no pay?

See one of the reasons I would decide against the masters is the study leave for the exams but if you get holidays for any overtime worked wouldnt it work out the same anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Fruiti

I'm not sure what you mean... as in, if you don't do the masters you will get extra study leave for cap 2 which you won't be doing if you have the masters - is that it? any extra time you work which you don't need for study leave you can take as time off (in my firm anyway) - i'm not sure if you can get paid for it - you do once you're out of contract but im pretty sure that anyone in contract takes it as extra leave. doing the masters wont reduce the study leave you get for FAE. PM me if you want specific info on my firm and i'll try to help! :)

Advertisement