Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin MapSource

Options
  • 20-04-2008 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

For does that can't install the Mapsource update due to lack of previous version not installed, here's a workaround for the update to work.

(1) Download and install Garmin's free Training Center here -
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-04

(2)
    Once this software is installed, you can then download and install the Mapsource update file
    and the full version of Mapsource will be up and running on your PC.

Note- This will only have the Mapsource based road data.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

Thanks for the tips Jake, what can we do with this software?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

MapSource is an indispensible utility for use with your Garmin GPS, you can upload the waypoints (favourites) and/or track (log) and save them in a file on your PC as a backup. You can create new waypoints and save them to the GPS and the next time you do a map update you'l have a copy of the maps on your laptop which makes route planning a breeze.

Creating waypoints on the cheaper (2xx) Nuvis is a pain, they don't allow you to manually create a waypoint by entering longitude and latitude, you have to find the location on the map and tell the unit to store that as a favourite. You have no control over what name the waypoint is given so the next thing you to do is find the waypoint, make a note of the name, then pretend you want to 'go to' the location, then you can manually edit the name but you can't edit the co-ordinates.

With MapSource on the PC, you open up your map, click the 'waypoint tool', then point and click on the location, a popup menu allows you to set the name and icon, then you can download the waypoint(s) to the GPS, couldn't be easier.

Not so sure on the couldn't be easier dude.

Ok - so the waypoints - how do these differ from destinations? Would this make the GPS prefer certain routes for me?

P.s. I ask because I'm sure I've managed to enter a favourite on my 250 by entering co-ordinates and then giving it a name. I've done this for golf clubs that weren't on it, although since the 08 update they all seem to be.

I have owned the original yellow eTrex (sold to a friend), an eTrex Legend (lost) and I now have an eTrex Legend C. I have also had a Nuvi 300 (stolen) and am now on a Nuvi 250. I have had Mapsource since V5 so I know what I'm talking about.

You can't enter co-ordinates for waypoints on a Nuvi 250 nor can you edit the co-ordinates for an existing waypoint.

Must apologise Coyle - I didn't intend that last message to come across as snotty, which reading it back it did.

I was thinking originally that this software might allow me to make small edits to the maps, like adding a road that wasn't included in the last update but it doesn't seem to. I think I just don't understand enough about it to make it worth my while.

What I was trying to describe above was in the 250 I can go to the 'where to?' menu, select co-ordinates, enter some co-ordinates (retrieved from google maps or the like), hit next, then save and it allows me to enter a name. It's then added to my favourites. I can't edit the co-ordinates afterwards or on existing waypoints. Perhaps that's the real advantage. My 250 is relatively new, so possibly a new feature on the co-ordinates, or maybe I'm not quite understanding what you can do with Mapsource.

• Advertisement

You are correct, the Nuvi 250 allows you to enter a 'go to' as co-ordinates but not to edit the co-ordoinates afterwards. All you can change is the name, symbol and phone number.

Mapsource is way better at editing and managing favourites than manually messing about on the unit itrself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 desb

jakeyb wrote: »
    For does that can't install the Mapsource update due to lack of previous version not installed, here's a workaround for the update to work.

(1) Download and install Garmin's free Training Center here -
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-04

(2)
    Once this software is installed, you can then download and install the Mapsource update file
    and the full version of Mapsource will be up and running on your PC.

Note- This will only have the Mapsource based road data.

Great workaround jakeyb and so handy to have MapSource on the laptop.

Advertisement