Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canine Flatulence

Options
  • 20-04-2008 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭

Just got a rescue dog, all is great except he is f**ting a lot much to the amusement of visitors to the house! The smell can get really bad!

His poo is very runny and the pound said that this always happens because their food there isn't great. I wonder is the wind to do with the soft poo and his insides probably a bit messed up!?

Any ideas - will this pass??

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Feeding a poor quality food will have this effect so if you can get the best quality dry food possible - such as Arden Grange, Hills or Royal Canine things should improve. Tinned food will also make them farty!

To get him over his dodgy tummy - try something plain like chicken & rice (no bones!) for a while and make sure he is drinking plenty.

He could have picked up a bug in the pound - you should probably bring him to the vet for a once over and get him vaccinated and wormed if this hasn't been done already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

How long have you had the dog out of the pound and what are you now feeding it?

A better food should have effects on its digestive system within a 24-48 hrs.If it still continues maybe it has some allergy to something in the food.Take it to a vet if it continues to rule out possible illness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Needs a healthy diet and exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

The first thing I would do is worm the dog.

I feed my dog dry food. If anything, it's much easier to pick their waste from the lawn! :-)

Avoid feeding pasta to dogs, it gives them wind! :-)

Regards,
    ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭arctictree

Thanks guys, just got him yesterday afternoon. Have changed his food to P. Chum 100% complete dry food. His poo seems to be getting harder and he seems to be less smelly. Will bring him to the Vet during the week for a full checkup, vaccination, worming etc.

BTW - Should I get him neutered soon - he seems to be between 6 and 9 months old?

A

• Advertisement

IMO, if the dog is around that age, I would get him neutered asap. It's better if they haven't really got to know what it is to have hormones flying around :-D

Regards,
    ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

arctictree wrote: »
    Any ideas - will this pass??

Ha Ha - good choice of words! Will this pass.
    Sympathies on the doggie wind! Ours do that do, a fresh and airy kitchen can be stunk out within seconds.

Firstly, the change in food is bound to cause Diarhea. I wonder how long the doggie was in the pound for, as he probably had quite a change in environment. Its a lot of change for them! A lot of stress. So, consider that for starters.

You must also get this fella wormed as soon as possible. Get the correct stuff from your vet. The vet will weigh your dog and administer the correct dosage. Worm infestation can cause diarhea too. Really important that you get him wormed properly. Ours had to have 2 doses before they went solid.

My third point may be just a personal choice, but pedigree chum isn't great food at all. It may be cheap, but its not the best.
    ValerieR wrote: »

Why do people get dogs and feed them scaps like that. If you can't afford the correct food, then you cannot afford the dog.

{{{{{{{{TAXI}}}}}}}}}
    {{{{{{{{TAXI}}}}}}}}}
    {{{{{{{{TAXI}}}}}}}}}

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Have changed his food to P. Chum 100% complete dry food.
    A

That stuff is just McDonalds for dogs - get him some good quality food - MsFifers recommended a few brands. It might be slightly more expensive, but will be worth it for your new friend.

BTW, Kudos for getting a rescue!! :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭arctictree

Glowing wrote: »
    That stuff is just McDonalds for dogs - get him some good quality food - MsFifers recommended a few brands. It might be slightly more expensive, but will be worth it for your new friend.

BTW, Kudos for getting a rescue!! :pac::pac::pac:

Thanks Glowing!! Yes, don't know much about dog food - I assumed P.Chum was the best - just shows what marketing and TV does to you! I'll definitely look out for the brands you mentioned before. His poo is much more solid today and the wind seems to be mostly gone!

Don't know how he ended up in the pound. He's a lovely dog, seems to be house trained, knows what his basket is for and only chews the toys we have given him. I'm afraid to post a pic in case someone claims him!!

A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Good that's he's feeling better, you can also give him some probiotic natural yoghurt to help rebalance the good bacteria in his system. You'll find the brands Glowing mentioned in your vets, pet-shop, those kinds of places.

He was most likely a stray who's owners never came looking like most of the dogs that end up in the pound. Well done you for giving him another chance :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I assumed P.Chum was the best - just shows what marketing and TV does to you!

Yeah do you ever wonder why they color all the bits of food orange and green? And I believe they make shapes out of them too? - it's certainly not for the dogs benefit!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

My two greyhounds used to fart for Ireland, toxic to the point where they'd actually leave the room afterwards, leaving the family guffawing with cushions over our faces... I changed their food to Hill's Science Plan, and the difference is very noticeable. They still let the odd one out, particularly if they've been given something else tasty in with the food, but it does work 99% of the time. Its also more highly digestible meaning less waste that you actually have to pick up less from the garden too. Alot of these foods seem expensive compared to supermarket brands, but they are much more concentrated so you feed less. It costs me approx 10 euro per dog per week (big dogs, 27 + 32kg) to feed which I think is very reasonable to feed one of the highest quality feeds out there at the mo. If I fed them tins it would cost about 30 per week each, er, no thanks. Their coats came on really well afterwards too, much shinier and healthier looking, with great looking body condition.

bubby wrote: »
    Why do people get dogs and feed them scaps like that. If you can't afford the correct food, then you cannot afford the dog.

It's not a question of cost/means ! It's just a bit of relevant information, sharing my experience :). Pasta (and bread) do absolutely no harm to dogs ; they just take longer in the digestion process, ferment and create wind.

ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

When a pooch has the trots dont feed them if possible for a day and give them plenty of water, then start them back on something like boiled chicken and rice which is cheap and easy to make. Then introduce them to a high quality dog food but dont keep changing brands as this can upset their tum too.

Obviously a vet check and worming etc most vets wont vaccinate until a dog is in good shape and doesnt have the runs. The pound probably gave you a neutering voucher if he needs the snip.

Not a fan of ped chum but have used Red Mills before and found it grand one of my dogs has a sensative tum so they are both on Burns now. It works out very reasonable and cheaper than tins plus no stinky farts anymore. the occasional burp from my little one but thats because she wolfs her food down.

Just ensure to keep the dog hydrated if the runs continue over a few days the vet might give you something to add to the water cant think of the name atm dyorilite sp?

Runny poo with blood in is a sign of parvo so keep a close eye on the poops just in case.

Nutro and Hills and Royal Canine are foods that a lot of people feed their dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Pasta (and bread) do absolutely no harm to dogs ; they just take longer in the digestion process, ferment and create wind.

Interesting. I know several people who feed their dogs solely on scaps - one couple in particular boil up a pot of pasta for their dogs. Never thought there could be much nutrition in that. :cool: Didn't want to say anything to offend though.

:)

ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I'm afraid to post a pic in case someone claims him!!

Once a dog has done its 5 days stray time it becomes Council property and the Council ie Pound can *dispose of it as they see fit*.

Advertisement