Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best foxing round for .243

Options
  • 20-04-2008 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Picked uo my new .243 last week.
    I've zeroed it for Hornady 95gr, but will this be too much for foxing?
    Any recomendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

58gr v-max is meant to be a fantastic foxing round in .243.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

58gr v-max is meant to be a fantastic foxing round in .243.

IWM is quite right , the 58 grain v max in 243 is an outstanding fox round,
    its flatter than the 220 swift at 400 yards due to the higher b.c of the bullet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

have to agree 58gr v max hornady are the best ive tried for fox, hard to get anyone know any dealers with them

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

I have just zeroed in 95gr Hornady at the weekend. I bough in bulk for consistancy. I also have the 58gr Vmolly Hornady but now that I have a good Zero I will stick with the for the moment I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Might 95gr not overpenetrate on a fox without imparting its energy efficiently enough for a good kill? Obviously it'll kill them, but might its efficiency be in question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Might 95gr not overpenetrate on a fox without imparting its energy efficiently enough for a good kill? Obviously it'll kill them, but might its efficiency be in question?

I fear the same myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Winchester Produce a 55gr Ballistic silver tip but you'll probably need a 1 in 12 twist to stablize it. Its a good round though.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

Well I am no expert on ballistics but I would imagine it depends on how the round mushrooms on impact?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

kerryman12 wrote: »
    Well I am no expert on ballistics but I would imagine it depends on how the round mushrooms on impact?!?

the 75gr federal ballistic tip is my pick hear the 58 gr can be blown about in wind but if your worried about your back stop dont shoot. the 75gr ballistic tip will blow up on a foxes chest, the 95 ballistic tip is a little hard try the 75s you will not look back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

jwshooter wrote: »
    the 75gr federal ballistic tip is my pick hear the 58 gr can be blown about in wind but if your worried about your back stop dont shoot. the 75gr ballistic tip will blow up on a foxes chest, the 95 ballistic tip is a little hard try the 75s you will not look back

was using 75gr federal hp with good results but I would rather the 58 vmax flater shooter, I found the 75gr did less damage aswell

• Advertisement
Advertisement