Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Dublin to Carlow

Options
  • 19-04-2008 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

:confused:
    Im a 22 female who has just been offered a good job in Wicklow (Shillelagh for anyone who knows the area?) Im from Dublin, "born and bred" here, in college in UCD at the mo, finishing up in a couple of weeks times. I have always lived at home. Not pushed on the idea of moving away from home and heading "down the country" as such but needs must....

Anyway, Carlow town has been suggested as being the best place to live (on the Wicklow/Shillelagh side). Im learning to drive at the mo and have my own car however I would prefer to keep driving to the minimal, for the first while anyway... I'll be starting work in July.

I guess Im just posting for some feedback re Carlow. Will I have trouble getting a place to live? Maybe an apartment on my own? Or sharing a house? (obviously I don't want to hire a two/three bedroom house on my own!!!) Any suggestions on where to (/not to) live?

I'm quite active and would be interested in playing badminton (fairly high standard), camogie, football and gaelic football if at all possible, however this can all wait until Im settled into house/job!!!

I guess, I don't really know where to start! Going to the work place for the first time next Friday for a visit, just to see the set up. Can ask Qs then and will probably know a bit more then......

Thanks for reading....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

hi there,
    Welcome to our county. If you are looking to live somewhere in Carlow and working in Shillelagh you talking about half an hour drive. but if you settle in Tullow where you can find all amenities that you find in carlow you will be only 15 minutes drive away from work.

Keep in mind that in winter time when it gets dark early the road is a bit dangerous to drive.

rgds
    Zeppi

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

Thanks for that Zeppi. Im likely to be working shift work, so quite likely to be coming and going when it is dark at some stage whether it be late at night or very early morning (or anywhere in between!) So the "dark roads" thing is a good tip to remember. Will know more about this next week anyway after being to the place. The place is a little outside of Shillelagh, heading towards Carlow, only a couple of km's beyond Shillelagh though.

I have a few weeks to sort myself out but really would appreciate as much feedback as possible here, Im totally at a loss regards info/advice at the mo! (Apart from what Zeppi has said!) ;)

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

xeroshero wrote: »
    Im learning to drive at the mo and have my own car however I would prefer to keep driving to the minimal, for the first while anyway... I'll be starting work in July.
    Finally, as of from June this year, you'll need someone who has been qualified for at least 2 years to be with you if you're only on a learner license. Also, you can only sit the test if you've had the license for at least 6 months.

Unlike Dublin, there's no buses going everywhere. There is a bus network, but you'll need to visit J.J Kavanagh's, or BusEireann to find out the routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 clairesheara

The synco...just to deviate off track for one moment...you wrote....

Finally, as of from June this year, you'll need someone who has been qualified for at least 2 years to be with you if you're only on a learner license. Also, you can only sit the test if you've had the license for at least 6 months.

Are you seriously saying that learner drivers drive on their own in Ireland.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Carlows a great spot,been in college there for the last 3 yrs! Shillelagh is a good spin out if you dont know the roads, its not 15mins for a learner. I drive that road every wk home and back from wicklow and it wud be 20-25 mins if you dont get stuck behind anything on the roads. But dont let that put you off you'll get better at the drivin and get to know the roads and carlow drivers! (they are the worst iv ever seen!) lol sorry guys! But anyway point is carlow = good spot! Im livin in a lovely 3 bed by the river in carlow walking distance to town. We are movin out end of may but you could try get ur name in. Monthly 800 but thats nothin if you can find 2 more! we hav it split 270 x 2 doubles and 260 for one single room! Pm me if you want the landlords number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Are you seriously saying that learner drivers drive on their own in Ireland.....

Yep. All the time!! You're supposed to be accompanied by a full licensed drive if you're on your 1st or 3rd provisional license I think. But you can drive unaccompanied on your 2nd provisional.

Open to corrections here but I think thats the way it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 clairesheara

Righto then...I think I will walk!!! DARN....I have to drive for work....How can people "learn" to drive without someone to teach....

Jemmy wrote: »
    Shillelagh is a good spin out if you dont know the roads, its not 15mins for a learner. I drive that road every wk home and back from wicklow and it wud be 20-25 mins if you dont get stuck behind anything on the roads. .

It's 15 minutes to TULLOW is what Zeppi said. Not carlow.

ShayK1 wrote: »
    It's 15 minutes to TULLOW is what Zeppi said. Not carlow.
    oh rite missed that bit! sorry!

Righto then...I think I will walk!!! DARN....I have to drive for work....How can people "learn" to drive without someone to teach....

Ah Claire... Don't get me started. This is not the place for this type of discussion but all I will say is this.... Ireland is the only place that I know of were you can FAIL your driving test and then..... Drive yourself home??

• Advertisement

oh rite missed that bit! sorry!

No worries :D

My lil sis just startd drivin and shes off on her own. You wont see many guards stoppin down around there. They only go after messers and the modified cars late in the evenings from my experience, i cud be corrected. But if u dont draw any unnecessary attention to yourself you'd be grand.

My g/f was breathalised (sp?) lastnight at a check point in Tullow. so you do see them stopping. Didn't ask to see her license though.

My g/f was breathalised (sp?) lastnight at a check point in Tullow. so you do see them stopping. Didn't ask to see her license though.

Well yea i got randomly breathalised to late at night in Shillelagh but she'll be driving the usually 9-5 hours for work unlikely to get stopped then was my point, only ever seen them out late.

Well yea i got randomly breathalised to late at night in Shillelagh but she'll be driving the usually 9-5 hours for work unlikely to get stopped then was my point, only ever seen them out late.

Really?????

Im likely to be working shift work, so quite likely to be coming and going when it is dark at some stage whether it be late at night or very early morning (or anywhere in between!)

Really?????

lol sorry must be half asleep here! I'll say no more!

i was gonna say "don't worry about it, somebody else did something similar a second ago"...

but that was you too???? Maybe its bed time Jemmy?

i was gonna say "don't worry about it, somebody else did something similar a second ago"...

but that was you too???? Maybe its bed time Jemmy?

maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

Hi,

Ok, thanks for all the replies. Ok, regars the driving, I actually got my provisional license back in Spetember but drove for the first time last week...(long story really) While the driving thing is, and will be, an issue and I thanks for the input on that.... Although... I posted here looking for info on Carlow and the surrounded areas itself....

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭haveabadday

Hi,

Ok, thanks for all the replies. Ok, regars the driving, I actually got my provisional license back in Spetember but drove for the first time last week...(long story really) While the driving thing is, and will be, an issue and I thanks for the input on that.... Although... I posted here looking for info on Carlow and the surrounded areas itself....

Hi there, Think you would be better to look or live in Tullow area as suggested! Carlow quite a drive for you and if working shifts, the roads arent up to scratch!! no Catseyes, ect... so could be dodgy in winter!! Tullow is a growing town, has lots there, A new Tesco store just opening, the Golf Club, plenty of pubs and there are lots of new apartments going up.. so think you should look there for place to live.. good start would be Daft.ie, always plenty of places for rent.
    Good luck with the new start, and dont worry, you will soon make new friends I am sure... also, dont worry too much about driving.. like someone else said, they keep a low key really, unless you have a bright Pink Car!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Advertisement