Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico Problem

Options
  • 19-04-2008 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend has perlico broadband but has been told that for more then one PC to use it at the same time she'll need a wireless router, is this true?

If it is what wireless router would you recommend for use with Perlico?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Which modem is in use at the moment? BT Voyager similar to this http://www.gconnect.net/hardware/hardware_images/btvoy_105usb.jpg ?

Did a Perlico install last year and they sent out a Zxyel wireless router so might be no harm to ring and enquire if they sell them to customers. This will replace the current equipment in use. Otherwise, a Linksys WRT54G would do the trick to connect upto 4 PCs on wired and it also allows laptops to connect via wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

She said it looks something like that yes. i'll get back with the name.

So would you recommend the Linksys WRT54G for use with a perlico connection to allow more then one PC on the internet at once?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Yes, the WRT54G is a good piece of kit. With not too many mouse clicks to change/disable settings AND setup the wireless...away you go! I use one and have supplied them to friends/family...had no probs

Here is the modem my girlfriend has. OK thanks for the advice. It looks quite ancient to me and crap to me.

Hi I'm about to buy a Linksys WRT54G to use with a perlico connection.

I would like to know if anyone has experience with it especially with a Perlico connection as I have heard Perlico connections can be troublesome.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Well what I would do is just buy a Wireless Access point and plug into the Lan port of the existing modem. Saves you having to go messing with settings etc. It pretty much plug and play.

Edit - you might as well just get the Linksys WRT54G, it seems to be cheaper.

Yea it seems to be the cheapest most reliable router i can find. How complicated would the set up be?

Doubt it be very bad really. Best thing to do is just buy it and see how you get on. Ask questions here then. You should be able to put it in Access Point mode (Bridge) anyways and continue using the existing modem if all comes to all.

well the way I planning on doing it was attaching the modem to the router, I'm guessing this is what you mean by a 'bridge'?

I just get the feeling that Perlico's set-up could make it complicated.

Well once you can connect to the Lan port of the modem and have connectivity then you should have no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

we have bt bb,is it expensive to get a wireless router so I can connect a laptop?

Well I have been recommended a Linksys WRT54G wireless router which you can buy from dabs.ie for 38euro.

I'm not sure if its compatible with BT or not though. It seems to be the cheapest and most reliable around.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

we have bt bb,is it expensive to get a wireless router so I can connect a laptop?

It surely isn't that difficult to look at a few online stores to get prices is it?:rolleyes:

Advertisement