Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro. Crap

Options
  • 19-04-2008 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

HOw do,

I bought an fujitsu siemens Amilo pro about 8 months ago. THe computer keeps freezing on me constantly and im in constant fear of loosing work that im doing. Its a 1024mb and 80gig hard drive running windows Vista. IM starting to think that the spec might be too small to run Vista properly and this is why it crashes so much.

Has anyone else had any problems with this or heard of any? I would love to bring it back but after 8 months im presuming it is not under waranty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Is the Aero graphics engine turned off? If so, turn it off.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What processor does it have? 1gig of ram is the bare minimum i'd want to run vista on so upgrading that should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

How would you go about doin that now?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

thehamo wrote: »
    How would you go about doin that now?

Which, checking what processor you have or changing the ram?
    I'll answer both, right click on my computer and click on properties and it should tell you, post up the processor and the speed it runs at.
    Changing the ram is very easy, it's simply a case of opening a panel underneath the laptop and popping out the old ram and replacing it with the new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Re Aero Engine if that's what you're asking about;
    Fupped if I know, haven't gone near Vista. But I know it's a problem.

Google is your friend.

• Advertisement

ok so i did that, the processor is an intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU and its running at 1.86GHz if that means anythin???

ok so i did that, the processor is an intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU and its running at 1.86GHz if that means anythin???

Yeah that's what i was thinking. No wonder your laptop is so slow, that processor coupled with that amount of ram is asking for trouble with vista installed. Do you have a xp disc? I would seriously recommend changing to xp, then you're pc will fly through all everyday stuff.
    Okay well, this might help things, go into the control panel and click on personalization then click on the "window colour and appearance" tab, open classic appearance properties, this shuld bring up a settings window where you can select a colour scheme, select vista basic and this should improve things a lot.

great stuff thanks for your help! I seriously fail to see the point of selling a computer that is not able to run the software it is supplied with! Pointless. Sure I suppose its to draw poor suckers like me in!

no bother, did you manage to turn off the aero yokey? Did it make any difference. Yeah it's a bit stupid sellig a machine like that with vista, but i guess they just used the whole vista thing as a marketing ploy to suck people into buying laptops.

Yeh i got it turned on to basic. Working a bit more efficient now. Just had a look at the ram slot there at the back of the computer. Turns out you cant take it off unless you send it back to the manufacturers. Just another great way of making money for them!

• Advertisement

Yeh i got it turned on to basic. Working a bit more efficient now. Just had a look at the ram slot there at the back of the computer. Turns out you cant take it off unless you send it back to the manufacturers. Just another great way of making money for them!

What do you mean, is the panel blocked with a warranty sticker or is it just not possible to open? Sorry i dont actually know that particular laptop, generally there is just a panel which is held by a couple of screws.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,734 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

bren2002 wrote: »
    Re Aero Engine if that's what you're asking about;
    Fupped if I know, haven't gone near Vista. But I know it's a problem.

Google is your friend.

tbh, leave room for informed responses ;)

theHamo: switching to basic was your only solution really. Laptops are installed with Home Premium anyway because of the extra laptop functions built into it. Yes bren switching off Aero took a good bit of load of the machine.

No experience with Fujitsu Seimens but the talk of tinsel town is a major multi-corporate snafu surrounding Vista: not a lot of the facts are solid and the information seems to be getting swapped around a lot in the media but either the laptop manufacturers or intel or microsoft or the entire combination, basically, Colluded. This was in order to push a mountain of unsold hardware. Hence thousands of machines like yours were branded with the Windows Vista Ready sticker; when in fact it is widely agreed that such machines are rarely fit to be running Vista (even though, technically, they can).

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/28/microsoft-lowered-vista-requirements-to-help-intel-sell-incompat/ more information is available out in the Ether, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 pmeade1

Do not buy this machine. the company I work for have bought a number of these crappy pieces of sh1t and I have see the issues. This laptop comes with broken USB ports, an ethernet port tha fails after a few weeks, faulty mouse pads and flichering screen issues, ( that still happens after a so called repair). This laptop is basically crap. the quality of the hardware is not up to average use. My advise,but your choice.. do not buy this laptop..

Advertisement