Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N95 8GB firmware update problem

Options
  • 19-04-2008 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I'm using the latest version of nokia software updater to update my n95 8gb from v15 to v20 firmware. I've used the program in the past without any trouble. The program downloads the file, but when it begins to update the firmware on the phone, it hangs on the 15minutes estimated time left screen, the screen on the n95 turns white and I get a pop up box saying 'Nokia Service Layer Host process has stopped working'. Has anyone any idea on how I can safely update the phone? I've tried five times already and the same thing keeps happening, I even uninstalled all the apps on the n95 in case they were conflicting with something, and it didn't make a difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

common recent problem, google it and u will find the process to get past it

it involved end tasking the nokia service app, and not reset the fone or unplug it and reopen nss and retrying, then it works.

reason why is nokia updated the usb cable drivers recently i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I had the same problem when trying to update the firmware using my vista laptop. my only solution was to use my xp desktop to update the firmware. dont know if thats any use to you, but it was the only way i got it to work (as well as changing the product code to scandinavia)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Nephew wrote: »
    I'm using the latest version of nokia software updater to update my n95 8gb from v15 to v20 firmware. I've used the program in the past without any trouble. The program downloads the file, but when it begins to update the firmware on the phone, it hangs on the 15minutes estimated time left screen, the screen on the n95 turns white and I get a pop up box saying 'Nokia Service Layer Host process has stopped working'. Has anyone any idea on how I can safely update the phone? I've tried five times already and the same thing keeps happening, I even uninstalled all the apps on the n95 in case they were conflicting with something, and it didn't make a difference.

this is what worked for me (vista 32):

run NSU & it will find there is an update
    ok to install
    wait for nsu to say 15 mins ... (screen on phone went white)

opened task mgr > processes tab & ended all nokia processes
    [I didn't bother for the service layer error]

DO NOT UNPLUG/RESET phone
    ran NSU directly from start menu

let it detect phone
    when you get the message to restart phone just click retry

NSU should go to '6 mins remining" after a while

with 3 mins left i got a white Nokia Test screen on the phone

now have v20.0.0.16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭djdunny

im having a kind of different problem as in when i go to open my Nokia Software Updater i get an error message saying "Missing software components, critical software components are missing, please reinstall" now ive reinstalled the whole lot bout 5 times n still getting the same error message. ive even installed an older version of PC Suite and still happening. the nokia software updater version is v1.4.36. any help would be appreciated thanx

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

I had the same hung at 15minutes problem when I tried upgrading the firmware on my N95 (non-8gb), on Vista.

Tried in XP and it worked first time!

• Advertisement
Advertisement