Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spayed Dog - very sad and cowering

Options
  • 19-04-2008 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hey All,
    I got my bitch, Rascal, spayed on wednesday. When i collected her on wed, se was pretty much out of it and slept for most of the day. I took her back to the vet Thursday morning just for follow up checks. And she seemed fine, still sleepy and very quiet. I had to get a buster coller for her to stop her licking the wound. I only put it on her when I cant watch her coz its making her really REALLY depressed. Now when its off she keeps cowering and hiding.I've never hit her or anything so its not a reaction to anything like that. I've heard that spaying your dog can change their personality, Rascal is normally hyper, full of play, just happy. Now shes the complete opposite....

Is this just after operation blue's. Will she go back to her usual self??

Thanks for any advice,
    G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Have a look at the spay incision. Does it look red, weepy, raised or sore in anyway? Is she off her food or water? Is it causing her pain? Is there anything else that you can put your finger on that might point at something wrong after the spay itself? Sometimes the spay incision can get infected or something minor can go wrong that will make the dog miserable. In that case - it's straight back to the vet again.
    If you're really worried about her it's always a good idea to call the vet and have a chat anyway (over the phone advice is free :D).

If the wound looks like it's healing ok, and she's eating/drinking ok but is miserable with the buster collar then she'll probably be acting as if nothing is wrong within a few days. A lot of dogs hate buster collars with a passion.

Spaying hasn't changed my dogs personality so I reckon you'll be ok in that respect :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 georgina

The wound is healing up really well, its not infected or anything. Her apetite is back to normal as well. Everything seems fine except for her hiding, maybe she's hiding in case I try and put the buster coller back on her....:) She's smart out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Spaying a dog usually has very little effect on their personality, and if it does, its due to a very gradual hormonal change. I'm sure she's just feeling a little sorry for herself, some dogs can be a little more dramatic than others, but you cant forget that she's just had fairly major surgery! 99% of the time they go back to themselves after a couple of days, some take a little longer. Just make sure she's kept warm and comfortable, she's eating / drinking / going to the toilet as normal. Once the wound is not discharging / looking red and swollen she should be absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It sounds like just the buster collar that is causing her to feel a bit insecure. the spay itself wont affect her except make her feel woozy for a day or two and a bit sore but most dogs recover quickly. Some dogs hate buster collars if the wound is healing it wont be long before the stitches are out, I would continue with the buster collar though if she is at the wound otherwise you could end up with her having to go back and be stitched up so prolonging the whole buster collar experience.

Don't worry she will be back to her normal self very soon. Sounds like she just doesnt like the buster collar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭hairymolly

Georgina my dog behaved the exact same way after op, even though she did'nt have a buster collar. My vet had told me that I wouldent be her favourite person for a while. Dogs are clever and in her own way she is blaming you. Not to worry she will come around in her own time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

georgina wrote: »
    Hey All,
    I've heard that spaying your dog can change their personality, Rascal is normally hyper, full of play, just happy. Now shes the complete opposite....

I'd love someone to answer this one.

I've Jericho (A Staffie) booked for the snip next week and I'm afraid it'll change him forever.

I'd hate to see his brilliant personality change like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

I'd love someone to answer this one.

I've Jericho (A Staffie) booked for the snip next week and I'm afraid it'll change him forever.

I'd hate to see his brilliant personality change like this.

It will change him , like it or not , its inevitable , do you have a reason for having him neutered other than its the " usual " thing to do ?

Ive had this argument out with lots of people and wont do the details again here , but as far as Im concerned surgery is always a last resort for anything. It should never ever be a default choice.

Im all for responsible dog ownership and always knowing where he is , I am totally against this automatic neutering of dogs. Its unnecessary suffering to the animal , and in my view is totally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

The only change I have noticed with various dogs is that they tend to put on weight over the years (especially labs) and they are a little more 'home-sweet home' (they don't tend to escape as much or as far if they did before) as they have no reason to go searching for a sole mate ! :-)
    I haven't, IME, noticed any personality changes! However, the animals I know that have undergone this procedure were 'done' when young (between 6 months and a year). It might be slightly different on an older subject ?

Regards,
    ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Neutering/Spaying dogs and bitches is done for very good reasons. With intact males and females the risk of testicle and mammary cancers are very, very high. With male dogs it can also reduce the changes of prostrate issues in the future and also of scrotal conditions. It takes away hormonal aggression against other male dogs and also that drive to go and seek out bitches in heat. Also reduce marking of terrortory, the reason why they pee every 5 seconds when you are walking them.

With bitches, it takes away the changes of have a very serious infection later in life, called pyometra. Especially naste infection which causes the uterus to fill up with pus and can kill them. Also unwanted puppies, there is always the chance she will get caught by a dog. I have seen jrt jumping walls to get to a bitch in heat. And also having a bitch in heat in your house is very messy and also not very nice for her, as she is constantly licking herself.

It does chnage them a bit in a way to calms them down but it is a gradual change not over night and also makes them much easier to have around other dogs. Personally the only reason to have an intact pet is if you are going to breed them, which i also disagree with, or if you are going to show them.

With intact males and females the risk of testicle and mammary cancers are very, very high. With male dogs it can also reduce the changes of prostrate issues in the future and also of scrotal conditions.

Tripe , tripe and more tripe , any mammal with testicles can get testicular cancer , do you suggest everyone has their testicles removed to lessen the chance of it happening .... complete and utter rubbish , you dont chop bits off a living creature just in case they go bad , thats sheer lunacy !!

There is no justifiable reason for a responsible dog owner to surgically alter their pet other than laziness .
    Responsible owners have control of their pets and dont let them run around unsupervised , thats the way it should be , loose dogs is the " only " reason this automtic neutering nonsense was started in the first place , all the rest of the bull**** about it is false justification.

• Advertisement

With all due respect Mathias, Georgina has posted looking for advise on a dog that she has already had spayed (doing the responsible thing), if you have nothing to contribute except your own derogatory comments and ignorant opinion, please don't bother in future. Not very many people here are going to agree with you and the post was not looking for your opinion on elective neutering. You can't insinuate that people are irresponsible and lazy for doing what 90% of people on this board have probably already had carried out on their own dogs to be responsible owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

+ 1 @ Ruby Soho.
    Mathias, talk about generalisation! Do you have a dog? Sounds like a very slap dash and theoretical attitude to me. :rolleyes:

Do you have a dog?

I have always had dogs , my family has always had dogs , my brothers and sisters all have dogs , all intact.

Most of the time I prefer dogs to people in fact. My latest best mate is called Bob and his picture has been posted on here a few times.

I dont mean to offend anyone on here , but the question was asked above if the dogs personality will be changed , I know that it will , and I just gave my opinion on that , no offense meant to anyone , its just how I feel on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

mathias wrote: »
    Most of the time I prefer dogs to people in fact. My latest best mate is called Bob and his picture has been posted on here a few times.

I'm pretty sure I'd prefer my dogs to you too.

What do you do with all the pups?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Its hard to know how to answer this one because everybodies experiences are different and the results can differ from dog to dog.

I took my dog, Bailey, to get spayed because of the potential health risks later in life. I arrived home from work and she was on the sofa. As soon as she saw me, she whined and rolled on her back to show me what they had done to her ("Daddy!, look, the shaved my belly!). She was a little sheepish for the rest of the day and slept alot but gradually over the next day or so, she came back to herself and has been fine ever since.

I have a second pup Ellie who is due to be spayed in the next week or so and again im getting that little feeling of dread. Im sure she will be 100% fine and be back to herself pretty soon after the op but that doesnt stop me worrying.

From my experience, my dog and those of my friends have all gone back to being normal dogs after their snips or spaying. They will be sheepish or quiet for a few days but they will bounce back to their normal selves.

One thing to note though guys. It is not a lobotomy, you are simply taking away your dogs ability to reproduce, they wont suddenly turn some zombie dog and they will still love you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Georgina - Bet it's the buster collar. My doggie has the same reaction to her harness. Changes her into a quivering wreck if it's put on inside the house (she forgets about it once out for a walk!) Please don't worry. It will not change her personality whatsoever and soem opinions expressed on this thread belong in 1950 and negate the opinion of most vets. Shame on the person who posted that opinion on a thread where there is a distressed animal and an owner looking for proper advice. How completely insensitive. As an animal welfare officer I'm APPALLED by your comments Mathias. It's attitudes like yours that have the country overrun with unwanted dogs:rolleyes:

Anyway. My bitch was spayed at 6 months old and while it did take her the best part of a week to completely return to herself (she never needed a collar) she was absolutely fine after that time. I would advise (as someone else mentioned) calling the vet and explaining your worry or even bring her back (they shouldn't charge for follow up care). If only to put your mind at rest.

Best of luck, hope the little one is ok and do keep us posted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

mathias ordinarily I wouldn't be pushing for my dog to get done, but he's unfortunet enough to have been labelled 'dangerous' and of a 'restricted breed' here in Ireland, ie - a victim of ignorance and so I'm legally obliged to have him done.

But it goes against my wishes to have him done.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danes

I have three bitches, all spayed. Two didnt even seem to notice and were up and around as soon as the grogginess wore off but the third sulked and cowered and felt sorry for herself for at least two weeks. The only difference I noticed in their personalities is that they dont stop to pee every few minutes when we're out walking.
    I'm sure you'll be glad you had her spayed. I had an unspayed bitch and never again. Apart from the messy business of her being in heat, not being able to take her for walks at that time and every male dog in the neighbourhood hanging round my house, she also had a phantom pregnancy. Very distressing for her and expensive for me.

Hope your girl is back to herself soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

Mairt wrote: »
    mathias ordinarily I wouldn't be pushing for my dog to get done, but he's unfortunet enough to have been labelled 'dangerous' and of a 'restricted breed' here in Ireland, ie - a victim of ignorance and so I'm legally obliged to have him done.

I didn't know you're legally obliged to have one of the "restricted breeds" neutered/spayed. Do you have a link to this legislation? I'd like a read, being a "restricted breed" owner myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I would agree with michelleans i don't believe there is legislation where you have to get them neutered.

• Advertisement

Im all for responsible dog ownership and always knowing where he is , I am totally against this automatic neutering of dogs. Its unnecessary suffering to the animal , and in my view is totally wrong.

Go and take a look at all the pounds in your surrounding area which the majority are a result of not neutering spaying and mabey you will change your mind. My dogs never suffered they were given pain killers and better treatment than most people get in hospitals these days.

I dont think you have an idea of the amount of animals suffering on the streets, wandering around at risk of being hit by cars because they smell a female in heat or the amount of unwanted litters in this country. irish people are not the most responsible pet owners in the world and rescues are working very hard to change peoples attitudes and encourage them to take more care of their pets. I have had many dogs and cats and rabbits neutered and spayed over the years and not one single one suffered in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Mairt wrote: »

Avoid it if possible , my reason : a friends had two staffs done , they used to be the usual playful , interested in everything pair , afterwards they completly changed , lost interest in everything.

Neutering and spaying does not change dogs however most pups have neutered/spayed at 6 months which is around the same age many of them start to grow up a bit and change anyway. It does not turn a happy dog into a sad one, please people dont you realise how many dogs are put to sleep every year because of this out dated attitude towards neutering/spaying.

Saddens me to see so many still think that way.

Having a bitch spayed at any stage is beneficial for her health, but getting it done before her first season, I feel, has most benefit for her in the long term. This subject has been pulled apart by vets for years, but the evidence shows that it massively reduces the likelihood of the dog developing mammary carcinomas later in life. Before the fist heat, 0.5% chance, after the first heat, 5%, increasing with likelihood after every oestrus cycle. You may argue that the chances of urinary incontinence is also slightly increased if done before the first heat, but urinary incontinence is treatable and never killed a dog!! Mammary adenocarcinoma certainly has...
    I know its a subject of heated debate here, but I have seen first hand, dogs dying of pyometra. Its not a nice way to go, and it is much more common than alot of people think. The majority of them are gotten to early enough and have required an emergency ovariohysterectomy under emergency, toxaemic conditions, to save their lives, I see an average of 1 case per month (I live in a town, our caseload wouldn't be as big as some of the city vets).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 georgina

Hey all,
    Thank you all so much for the advice and for sharing your own experiences for me. It seems to have started a big discussion on whether it is the right thing or the wrong thing to get your dog /bitch neutered/ spayed!!! Taking rascal was really tough on me, I cried for about an hour the night before bringing her in, and havent slept great since :) I understand what people are saying against 'automatic' neutering but in most cases it is the only decent option. I cant watch rascal 24 hours a day 7 days a week, very few people can watch thir dogs like that so if she did get out, (or another dog did get in) and she did end up with pups I wouldnt know what to do and most people would be in the same position!

Aside from all that, I am so glad to report that Rascalini in back to her usual self. She somehow managed to whip one of her stitches out (even with the buster coller :o ) but the vet said she was healing well, so not to worry, just keep a close eye and he gave me antibiotics.......

Now brings a whole other set of issues....keeping her from running, jumping, playing and all the other things she gets up to!!!!!

Sat is d-day for getting the stitches out...so the weekend cannot come quick enough!!!!

Again, thanks a million to all those that replyed,

Georgina

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 jenjo23

My girl clung to my side when I brought her home from the vet.

She was so pitiful, I was hand feeding her and helping her to lie down properly. She was limping around and giving me the sad eyes.

Then the doorbell rang and she miraculously was able to jump from one couch to the other by the window :p

She was fine after a few days. 2 years later and she's still really hyper and energetic and loveable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

and I just gave my opinion on that , no offense meant to anyone , its just how I feel on the subject.

There are to many dogs in the country, because of this dogs are suffering. Neutering and spaying is a must unless you want to breed. Its not fair on your dogs, never letting them breed. The chemicals and urges are very very strong, we are denying them one of natures most powerful reactions. This leaves the animal extremely frustrated. Lifelong frustration isn't nice. Your dog may not show it, but it is frustrated.

My dog is neutered, he still plays, guards, runs, does everything he used to do. Meeting other dogs is easy however, he doesn't feel the need to dominate and although a bitch in heat is very interesting to him, he is a lot easier to control in a situation that if he wasn't neutered would be very different. I have owned many dogs, some neutered, some not. The neutered way is the way to go.

Mathias, as you have no experience and have never owned a neutered dog I find it surprising that you consider other peoples (obviously more educated on the matter) peoples opinion "tripe tripe tripe"

Mairt, you have nothing to worry about, your dog will be the same fella

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

and I just gave my opinion on that , no offense meant to anyone , its just how I feel on the subject.

There are to many dogs in the country, because of this dogs are suffering. Neutering and spaying is a must unless you want to breed. Its not fair on your dogs, never letting them breed. The chemicals and urges are very very strong, we are denying them one of natures most powerful reactions. This leaves the animal extremely frustrated. Lifelong frustration isn't nice. Your dog may not show it, but it is frustrated.

My dog is neutered, he still plays, guards, runs, does everything he used to do. Meeting other dogs is easy however, he doesn't feel the need to dominate and although a bitch in heat is very interesting to him, he is a lot easier to control in a situation that if he wasn't neutered would be very different. I have owned many dogs, some neutered, some not. The neutered way is the way to go.

Mathias, as you have no experience and have never owned a neutered dog I find it surprising that you consider other peoples (obviously more educated on the matter) peoples opinion "tripe tripe tripe"

Mairt, you have nothing to worry about, your dog will be the same fella, what you are doing is responsible and will make life easier for you and the dog.

Advertisement