Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem setting up wireless?

Options
  • 19-04-2008 9:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I think I've a very basic problem but due to my technical ignorance I wonder if anyone could tell me the solution:

For the last 3 - 4 years I've always used my desktop at home for broadband, as it was a desktop I never had a need for wireless, as such I've always used a Netopia Cayman 3300 series modem, which doesn't have wireless capabilities.

Yesterday I went on a bit of a spending spree and picked up a new laptop (with wireless capabilties) together with a wireless adapter for an Xbox 360. I told the guy in the laptop shop that I wanted to set-up wireless in my apartment and the modem I currently have cannot do this. He recommended that I buy a SMCWEBT-G Wireless to Ethernet Bridge. Not being too technically savy I took his word for it and bought same.

I took everything home and realised I didn't know how the Wireless to Ethernet Bridge would work with the Modem I have. I've tried connecting the Bridge to my modem via the Ethernet output from the modem however this doesn't seem to work as neither the laptop or xbox picks up any wireless connect.

Do I just need to go out and get a wireless router instead of the bridge or is there an easier solution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

hi there,

Unfortunately the sales dude sold you the wrong piece of equipment.

Exchange the bridge for a wireless AP (access point) is what you need. Can't go wrong with Linksys brand...either a WAP54G or a WRT54G(wireless router but will act as AP also). Remember not to double up on IP address of modem and wireless AP. WAP54G is default 192.168.1.245 and WRT54G is 192.168.1.1 Also, you can only have one DHCP server on your network...best to stick with the modem one.

Advantage of the wireless AP is that you can position it better for best reception

Advertisement