Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SatNav for Ireland

Options
  • 19-04-2008 2:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

Evening, Im thinking about getting a satnav for Irish Roads. Ive only ever seen a Garmen in action, cant remember what model it was but pretty impressive piece of kit.
    Seems hard to decide between one of those or a Tomtom. Im not after anything to fancy if ya know what i mean. Both of these look good -
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=339301
    or
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=339583
    Both seem reasonably priced but i dont know which one, if any i should go for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There is another thread similar to this one where the originator gave web links to models instead of just stating the models he/she is interested in and nobody has answered.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055276006

Just state the two models in plain text and make it easy for people to see what you're looking for. What you're asking people to do is link to the first website, return, link to the second website, return and then press the 'reply' button, that's a bit of a turnoff for most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

One is a Garmin nuvi 250w europe and the other was a Tomtom One V3. The only reason i picked those too is that they seem to be the 2 big name brands in satnav and both seemed inexpensive.

Sorry if my first post seemed lazy. User opinions is what im after, Ive read reviews but id like to hear what drivers in Ireland have found to be the best for around the 200 euro mark.
    I dont need anything to fancy, just one that will get me where i need to go on Irish roads. I presume both Garmin and TomTom update there maps regualry?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

The TomTom V3 is a budget edition released for the Xmas market and doesn't have the features the V2 had. I think they have re-released the V2 and you can get it as the Travel Edition in the Green box. I got one and love it.

Can't comment on Garmin but I would highly recommend the TT V2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

There's a Garmin vs TomTom thread further up.

I wouldn't go for the One, if you decide on TomTom - I'd go for the Go, which has a facility where you can make changes on the maps, for instance where the one-way system has reversed the way traffic flows down a street. You can also, if you want, accept others' changes to the maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

personally,
    I'd go for the garmin,
    I've had the tomtom and found it to be FAR inferior !!!
    I have the 250W Europe version and its far better in mapping than tomtom IMHO !

I had to return 2 tomtom units because their own "home" software kept screwing up the unit.
    Garmin is my advice !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have had Garmin units now for several years and have had no problems with them. On some threads people say that the Garmin (Navteq) maps are better for Ireland, especially rural areas, than the Tom Tom (Tele Atlas) maps.

Opinions vary of the worth of the widescreen Garmins, personally I prefer the normal size (i.e. the 250, not the 250W), mainly because the non-widescreen is more suited for pedestrian use, it occupies less space in the pocket and it doesn't look like a widescreen TV when you take it out to check your location when out and about in a city you're not familiar with.

Its hard to decide what to go for, id rather stay away from the wide screen ones, dont fancy leaving it in the car. What are the differences in reguards to showing the likes of petrol stations, restaurants speed cameras etc, on TomTom's and Garmins?
    Is one better than the other?

luckat wrote: »
    There's a Garmin vs TomTom thread further up.

I wouldn't go for the One, if you decide on TomTom - I'd go for the Go, which has a facility where you can make changes on the maps, for instance where the one-way system has reversed the way traffic flows down a street. You can also, if you want, accept others' changes to the maps.

Map changes are available on the One aswell.

I read in another thread the Garmin dont have free updates to their maps but TomTom do, confusing seen as alot of people say Garmin maps are better for Ireland:confused:
    Also i take it the Nuvi 250 doesnt let you use coordinates to plan a route?

Just heard there selling tomtom ones in tescos which says uk maps included. Is it just a matter of downloading the Irish ones?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sp1derman78

kinkstr wrote: »
    Just heard there selling tomtom ones in tescos which says uk maps included. Is it just a matter of downloading the Irish ones?

It will actually be UK and Ireland maps on it.
    See example from Tesco UK site
    http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-0909.aspx

TomTom site
    http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps.php?ID=395&Category=0&Lid=1

Cool thanks boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭mackey087

kinkstr wrote: »
    Evening, Im thinking about getting a satnav for Irish Roads. Ive only ever seen a Garmen in action, cant remember what model it was but pretty impressive piece of kit.
    Seems hard to decide between one of those or a Tomtom. Im not after anything to fancy if ya know what i mean. Both of these look good -
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=339301
    or
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=339583
    Both seem reasonably priced but i dont know which one, if any i should go for.

yeah i'm sure you have seen a german in action! if you have a sat nav why do you still get lost?

mackey087 wrote: »
    yeah i'm sure you have seen a german in action! if you have a sat nav why do you still get lost?

Havent got my hands on it yet vic:pac:
    Lads whats the deal with updating the maps on say either a tomtom one or a garmin nuvi250, will i have to pay for the updates?

you will have to pay for updates on both if you actually download the latest maps, but TomTom will allow you to get free updates that other users add to their site for free and you can make changes if you see errors and also upload them for others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sp1derman78

A TomTom unit will come with a 'Latest Map Guarantee'. See detail from TomTom site below.

Also there is TomTom Mapshare. Visit http://www.tomtom.com/page/mapshare and see details below.

Latest Map Guarantee

At TomTom we do our utmost best to ensure that the map that comes preloaded on your device is the most up-to-date version available. But because roads change and maps become outdated, TomTom regularly releases new maps.

This means there’s a small chance that a newer map has been released since the production of your TomTom. But don’t worry. With TomTom’s latest map guarantee, if the map preloaded on your device is not the latest version, you can download it FREE at TomTom HOME.

Check within 30 days

Latest map guarantee means that if a newer map is released during 30 days from when you first start using your device, you’re entitled to one free map download.

You can check as often as you wish during your 30 day guarantee to see if a newer map has been released.

How do I check I’ve got the latest map release?

You can check this in TomTom HOME 2.
    Map share

Daily updates with Map Share technology
    TomTom’s unique Map Share technology enhances your navigation experience, because you can now make instant changes directly on your map. You can also receive similar changes made by the entire TomTom community.
    Enabling Map Share gives you:
    • instantly improved maps every day on your TomTom device
    • entry into the world’s largest navigation community
    • the ability to share improvements daily with other TomTom users
    • full control over improvements that are uploaded and downloaded
    • the best and most accurate maps available – always.

Advertisement