Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia E65 buy or not buy?

Options
  • 19-04-2008 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

i'm in the market for a new phone.
    i currently have a Sony Ericsson K750i
    i was thinking of getting the Nokia E65. done a quick Google. but there were VERY mixed reviews. If i don't buy this phone it'll be the E51. I need the wi-fi especially because i'm constantly checking emails etc.

so what i need is feedback from owners of the E65

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I got rid of my Nokia e65 and got a Nokia e51. I know one other person who did the same and another one who's considering it.

The Nokia e51 is more stable and also has HSDPA.

Buy it, buy it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

so forget the E65 all together? can ya jus mention a few problems ya had? i was looking at one on adverts.ie (both E65 and E51)
    a friend of mine has the E51. seems good not a great GUI he says

Differences between the two that I can see. .

The e51 is a candybar shape while the e65 is the slide up. The e51 feels lighter and feels less clunky in my pocket.

The e65 in built browser used to crash quiet a bit. The e51 does not suffer from this.

The e51 has more internal memory.

The e51 keypad does feel a little different to begin with, with a worry of the keys being too small for menu / contacts / etc. This has faded away though, no complaints here from my chubby fingers.

HSDPA on the e51 is a must.

I think the screen might be bigger on e65, I'm not really sure as I've not had both side by side .. but I got rid of e65 the day before I got the e51 and I'm happy with e51 and glad I changed.

Not to say the e65 is a crap phone though, it's far from it. I just prefer the e51 for the reasons above.

Can the E51 open documents attatched to emails? hmm i think i'd rather the E51 at this stage but as you pointed out i found the key pad to be fumbly and messy with what appears to be 3 buttons where i feel should only be two if you get me.

The e51 can open documents attached to emails just like the e65.

• Advertisement

ok,
    just my k750i has seen better days. its slowly dieing lol so was needing something simple to use but efficient. i checked reviews on both E51 and E65 and E51 now has me.. thanks. :D

Of course if you're only after calls / texts / Mp3 / camera I'd suggest K810i ;)

random wrote: »
    Of course if you're only after calls / texts / Mp3 / camera I'd suggest K810i ;)

Thought about it but, again the keypad was a turn off in it. k800i would have been nice but heard of many breaking. i need the WLAN capabilities of the nokia E series. Last thing i'll ask is the battery. I'm a b*stard for phone calls etc. constantly on the phone or the phone is always on. so can the E51 handle it like the SE k750i can? because i get approx a day and half- 2days between charges
    which is revolutionary compared to my old motorola E1000 which lasted 3hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭SQDD

I can't comment on the e51 as I haven't used it, however I've had an e65 since last christmas and am very happy with it - (asides for some strange reason, 2 days ago the buttons on the right hand side of the outer case won't work when it's open - infuriating for texting, will be bringing it back to the shop asap) - asides that recent issue, it's a fine phone, the built in browser is crap, make sure you download opera mini for it which is infinitely times better, altho web browsing is certainly not a nice an the iphone.. if you have gmail there's an app you can use with the phone, and if you have pop or imap (eg on gmail), you can set that up too which is fairly handy. It's a very sleek looking phone, I use the voip fequently on it for calling the states (I've it set up with voipbuster) and the call quality is perfect, as if you're ringing from a landline. As regards using it as an office phone.. the screen is fairly small so you'll be squinting at pdf or word docs, to be honest i think it's madness using phones for looking at documents. It's grand for checking the e-mail but blackberries are far far better if you're looking to frequently use e-mail. From reading the above, it looks like the e51 is a newer device so i assume it has all the jazz the e65 has.. Regarding storage it takes micro sd, i've a 1 gig in it, can't really see any use for it.. i've never used the camera and i certainly won't be using it as an mp3 player.. hope you found my mini review useful!

@SQDD, Your review was quite useful to me. I do tend to listen to some music on my phone too and occasionally i may need to take a few snap shots here and there so the memory can be handy.
    I heard about problems with it switching on and off. it looks pretty slick. What do the buttons on the side have to do with texting if i may ask?

• Advertisement

Oh right, I don't mean the right hand of the phone, i mean the right hand of the cover buttons - the right button, the mute button, contacts, the clear, the right selector and the red phone buttons.. it only happened 2 days ago so i'll be dropping it back to the shop for them to fix it soon, it's infuriating when texting as i have to close the phone so the clear button and previous button will work, obviously it's some sort of internal physical problem where a connection isn't being made.. eh as for music, while don't get me wrong i love the phone, i've proper bluetooth earphones and they sound desperate with it, it doesn't have bluetooth 2.0 A2DP, i wasn't pleased at all about that - for mp3s it sounds like fm radio tuned to 99.8fm when the station is actually on 100.0 fm if that makes sense It comes with one earphone - so unless you have a stereo pair from another nokia you're out of luck, although you can buy 3.5mm regular earphone adaptors from ebay.. I can't comment on the camera, haven't had any problems turning it on and off, to be honest i never turn it off, just leave it on all the time (I can't turn it off as I won't get calendar reminders) and when the batteries low leave it plugged in overnight..

so sound quality is a bit of a sham? well not to worry. still have my good ol mp3 player nearby. Seems like a good phone. Are you on 3? the one i'm getting is locked to 3 but i plan to unlock it to work with my sim.

Whats the story with battery? this is crucial to me

I'm on meteor bill, the battery's grand, no complaints

ugh still undecided! still don't know which to buy i have both phones on offer to me!

**update**
    looks like i'll be buying a phone by the end of the week. I just smashed my k750i out of frustration. It gave up all hope, started freezin up and dropping the signal every few seconds.. anger managment 101 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

congo_90 wrote: »
    **update**
    looks like i'll be buying a phone by the end of the week. I just smashed my k750i out of frustration. It gave up all hope, started freezin up and dropping the signal every few seconds.. anger managment 101 lol

get an old Nokia 3210 or 5110

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I Had both. get the e51. Far better. and looks the dogs bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

I've had an E65 for almost exactly one year. I loved it when I first got it and it did everything I wanted it to but for the past 2 months it seems to be getting slower and slower. When I get a text now it takes about 1 min to actually see the text and menus are slow to react to button presses. The screen hasnt done so well either: a few light scratches and kinda dirty behind and its been no more abused than any other phone I've ever had. Battery is ok-I charge it about every 2 days.
    I wouldnt buy it again if I had the chance though. Think I'm gonna go back to a 6230i.

I'm temporarily using an old 3200 for now. So looks more like an E51 for me..

Advertisement