Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trying to identify these ducks

Options
  • 18-04-2008 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help me identify these ducks. They've been flying round my place for the last week. Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭stevensi

Hi,

These are shelduck...I believe they are our largest ducks found here. They are found mainly in coastal areas. Funnily enough i saw a pair last night in Sandymount beach in dublin last evening

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

stevensi wrote: »
    Hi,

These are shelduck...I believe they are our largest ducks found here. They are found mainly in coastal areas. Funnily enough i saw a pair last night in Sandymount beach in dublin last evening

Regards

I was on the number 3 bus last friday and thought I saw one too but it was dusk so I assumed it was an oyster catcher... nice to think I am not going mad now...:)

At a distant i can see how you could assume that. I've seen that pair of shelduck there for a few weeks now.

A great area around there for birds...a lot of waders (which is not my strongest point) but i also managed to see my first wheatear, reed bunting, meadow pipit and great northern diver there over the last week...

Where were the reed bunting? I used to see them along the canal many moons ago but I have to travel to Ballinafagh to see them now...:(

• Advertisement

I saw a single male by the sign that says the irishtown nature reserve sign...it was a real treat as i'd never seen one before. I was lucky to get so close it before it flew off. Lots of Linnets about also.

Whereabouts on the canal used you see them...

I used to see them on the stretch along side where the Charlemount Clinic is and up further at the 9th lock. There was lots of bull rushes along the "naller" years back but much of it was cleared to allow the boats to run again...

Advertisement