Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC wireless problem

Options
  • 18-04-2008 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

I took advice here last week and got myself a linksys router for home. I work with macs but I have a pc at home (games etc.) .I set up the router no problem and when I brought my mac laptop home had no bother with wireless. However I cant seem to connect with any of the other pc laptops of my wife and kids.could someone please tell me how to do this ? as far as pcs go I am a total idiot.:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Do you mean "connect" in the sense of sharing files over the network?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

Sorry, I meant connect the other pcs to the internet using the linksys router.
    A little elaboration. I have one of those Medion pcs from Lidl which has an internal modem. I also have wireless broadband coming in to a reciever on the wall outside. This connects to my computer through a small box which says power over ethernet. I connected my new linksys router to this box and then on to my computer. For some reason I was still able to connect to the internet from my computer however other pcs about the house could see the linksys but not connect to the internet. I rang Linksys and was told the router had to be connected to the modem before connecting to the computer. I tried explaining that it was an internal modem but to no avail. The guy I spoke to had very poor english. Could anyone please elighten me???

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Hi Foley,

Hmmmmm, ok...just need to clarify a few things first.

What's the model # of the linksys?

Which wirelesss provider are you with and do you have a static public IP address from them?

Briefly explain how the POE (power over ethernet) is wired to your linksys

Are you connecting the other machines via wireless or wired to the linksys?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Foleyart wrote: »
    For some reason I was still able to connect to the internet from my computer however other pcs about the house could see the linksys but not connect to the internet. I rang Linksys and was told the router had to be connected to the modem before connecting to the computer. I tried explaining that it was an internal modem but to no avail. The guy I spoke to had very poor english. Could anyone please elighten me???

Saw a similiar issue before:

In the router setup, try setting the Wireless to "B+G mode".
    It might be set to "G-only mode" at the moment.

Advertisement