Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving an old blackcurrant bush

Options
  • 18-04-2008 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I'm looking for some advice as to whether this will be possible at all without killing the plant?

Its pretty old (probably 20+ years) and has reasonably big roots (by my judgement anyway).

I have to rejig the garden and would prefer not to just cut it down, although I know I could replace it with something newer which would produce more fruit etc.

Any advice or tips in how I might do this?

For example, can the roots be safely cut as they get less "woody" rather than chase them out across the lawn?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Blackcurrant bushes are one of the easiest fruit to grow. They are also inexpensive to buy and simple to propogate (take off a branch stick it in the corner of the garden and forget about it, it will root in about eight weeks) They also grow quite quickly but can be easily controlled. If you really want to move the plant, this is not the best time of the year. It should be done in early March or October. You are less likely to get a dry spell following movement which is what usually kills the plant. Usually dig a pretty large hole that will take nearly all the roots , add some organic material and keep watered for 3 or four weeks.
    However I would get rid of it and plant a new one, it will be easier and more sucessful at this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mazza

Thanks for the advice, Shawnee.

I suspect you're probably right in saying its better just to replace it esp re fruit production. I've had a go at moving it anyway figuring there's nothing to lose, so will see how it goes...

Regards,

Mazza

Advertisement