Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly question time..

Options
  • 18-04-2008 7:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Do our dogs know when we're sick?.

Basically I'm just out of hospital after two operations last week, the day I got out of hospital I wanted my room to myself with no disturbance as I knew I'd be pretty tired.

Well my dog, Jericho (you've all seen his pix by now I'm sure), lay outside the bedroom door all day and wouldn't move.

Then all week he's following me around the house & won't leave my side, he's off his food and looking sad :(

Of course I'm off work all week and feeling pretty rotten also.

Some friends have suggested that dogs pick up on stuff like this, ie owners being sick (and worse I guess!).

Stupid Q.. Could this be whats up with Jericho?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

They do seem to really pick up on how we're feeling, especially when you're not well. My CKC Spaniel would be with my mam at home all day, always a bit hyper and getting under her feet. But when my mam got quite sick having chemo the dog followed her constantly from room to room, just sitting quietly beside her. Normally her favourite place to lie was by the fire or in the sun (anywhere warm really!!) but on days that Mam wasnt well enough to get up the dog would just lie outside her bedroom door and refuse to move. She was such a faithful pup :)

Hope you're feeling better soon, least you have someone taking care of you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Dogs can read us like a book. They usually know when you're in a bad mood before you do and they certainly know when you're out of sorts.

The romantic view is that they feel for us, are faithful, are sad, want to comfort us, etc.

The not so romantic view is that their routine has been disturbed, so they are disturbed as well. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Mairt wrote: »
    Do our dogs know when we're sick?.

Basically I'm just out of hospital after two operations last week, the day I got out of hospital I wanted my room to myself with no disturbance as I knew I'd be pretty tired.

Well my dog, Jericho (you've all seen his pix by now I'm sure), lay outside the bedroom door all day and wouldn't move.

Then all week he's following me around the house & won't leave my side, he's off his food and looking sad :(

Of course I'm off work all week and feeling pretty rotten also.

Some friends have suggested that dogs pick up on stuff like this, ie owners being sick (and worse I guess!).

Stupid Q.. Could this be whats up with Jericho?.
    maybe its a Paranormal thing about dogs.I guess ye might get some answers on the Paranormal forums (only joking):p:p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

I was in agony with my wisdom tooth all week and finally had it taken out yesterday.

All week my 7 month old pug Missey kept licking the side of my face where I was in pain. She never does this.

And when I came home from the dentist she just curled up on my lap and started snoozing off!! She is such an energetic dog and never curls up and sleeps on someone unless she just had a massive run (which she didnt as I was too traumatised from the tooth pulling :eek: )!

I think she sensed I was in so much paing and was trying to comfort me in her own way, it was very cute though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just for the boards info.

I wasn't happy with 'Richo so I took him along to the Vet's for a check up, and lucky I did.

He had a very high temp. and a bad chest infection, plus his bowels were packed up a little :o

Poor fella, while I was feeling sorry for myself he's been sick and down the dumps all week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

peasant wrote: »
    Dogs can read us like a book. They usually know when you're in a bad mood before you do and they certainly know when you're out of sorts.

The romantic view is that they feel for us, are faithful, are sad, want to comfort us, etc.

The not so romantic view is that their routine has been disturbed, so they are disturbed as well. :D

+1 the fact that you are at home and not in work during the day, the fact that the dogs days don't play out as they usually do is enough to get them upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

Actually they do and studies have been carried out using dogs to id people who are unknowingly ill with Cancer or similar illnesses and have been shown to be somewhat successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

cobweb wrote: »
    Actually they do and studies have been carried out using dogs to id people who are unknowingly ill with Cancer or similar illnesses and have been shown to be somewhat successful.

Yes, but that's actually because dogs can literally smell cancer.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/01/0112_060112_dog_cancer.html

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

peasant wrote: »
    Yes, but that's actually because dogs can literally smell cancer.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/01/0112_060112_dog_cancer.html

yeah i wa sgoing to mention the cancer link wasnt sure whether to, i saw this myself as a friend developed cancer, he didnt know but my dog went nuts around him and we eventually discovered why the dog was growling/barking and sniffing incestantly at my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

yeah i wa sgoing to mention the cancer link wasnt sure whether to, i saw this myself as a friend developed cancer, he didnt know but my dog went nuts around him and we eventually discovered why the dog was growling/barking and sniffing incestantly at my friend

:eek: wow, I did not realise that! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

now thats interesting:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

i saw a programme on tv not so long ago who service dog barked madly if there was something wrong with the man he has angina and onetime he had a attack the dog barked out of character it transpired that the dog could sense a attack coming on and the person to medication to prevent the attack. He brings it dog into his office and the dog went passed his colleague and started to bark. Needless to say the person went to the doctor and found out that he was on the verge of a massive heart attack which the dog prevented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No paranormal in this case! As the OP has said, the dog was feeling unwell!

Advertisement