Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I report this to the RSPCA?

Options
  • 17-04-2008 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

I drive past this house a few times every day as its not far from where I live and I see this little cocker spaniel tied with a short rope to a cavity block in the middle of the front garden. He does not have any food or water and is exposed to the current chilling winds.

The owner is an elderly gent who seems to live alone. The thing is I know the dog adores his owner and the elderly gent adores his dog - I saw that from the few times I saw them interacting together and he does take him in at night and take him for walks.

Its just I hate to see him tied up for so long every day when it is not strictly necessary as there is a high dog proof fence all around the front garden and much larger dogs were left wander about by previous tenants of this rented house? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Do you know the man?

I know people find it hard to take criticism on how they treat their pets, but maybe you could talk to him about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I was thinking of doing that - might be the best thing to do as a first step. No I don't know him as he is only living there a short time.;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd chat with him nicely and if that fails ring them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Are there people in the house or is he left alone in the garden with no one, as well as no water and no exercise?

The RSPCA won't be a lot of good to you if you're in Ireland ;) - it's the ISPCA you'd want!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If I were you I'd have a nice "neighbourly" chat with him (wile casually carrying your cap under your arm :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I'd say a friendly chat with him could do the trick. A gentle suggestion of even a kennel and some fresh water might be all he needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Charisma

Perhaps he is afraidthe dog will run if let loose. Id go to the DSPCA and get them to have a word. This poor dog will melt in the summer if its left with no water. The man probably doesnt realise that what he is doing is neglect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Keep it simple and report the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Probably best to report it but make it clear that you just want to make the man aware of the issues with his dog. He probably just needs someone to have a word with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Report it anonymously, if you have a chat with him first he'll know it was you.
    Neighbourly feuds can start from things like this.
    +1 on what Ruu said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I think you should report it, it's supposed to be the law that all animals must be provided with food, water & shelter. I don't think they'd take the dog off him unless it was starved or something so would probably just tell him to get a kennel and give him a dish of water etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Friendly chat with him first would be better.

We have the ISPCA in Ireland not the RSPCA-thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Yeah i'd ask the ispca to do the talking to him, most of the time its just ignorance rather than bad intentions and if the explain the law and reasons for the law he should sort it out, fair play for having the dogs interest at heart..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 crazy mam

hi, i think if the owner of the dog is an elderly man, he might just be afraid he'll run off, but on the other hand the poor dog needs water ,food and shelter, can his owner give him that ? i say contact the ispca and ask there advice, there friendly and will answer any questions.

Advertisement