Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless network for dial up

Options
  • 17-04-2008 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

i want to set up a wireless network for my 2 computers at home. i only have a dial up connection but i'd like if they could share this. anyone able to tell me what i'd need to do this? (the desktop runs XP and the laptop is Vista, also the laptop has wifi).

Is there anyway of setting up the network so that the desktop wouldn't have to be turned on in order to connect the laptop to the internet? The desktop would be the host/server (whatever it's called!) if I had to connect one computer in order to connect the other

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

AFAIK you can not share the internet connection on one PC without it being switched on.
    A different possibility is to source one of the dailup-wifi modems that Avaya/Orinoco used to make.
    Will look up the details for you later but the where something-1000. You can find them on ebay and I might even have a few of them knocking about...

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

This will do what you want.

http://www.alwaysonwireless.com/wiflyer.html

according to this, http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061126164842AAlwLkc you'll get a better deal if you buy it from amazon.com

with this you'd only have to have the computer that you are accessing the internet from turned on. With any other method you'll need to have the computer with the modem turned on.

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭annieobrien8

I had read about the wiflyer and was very interested in it. Neither amazon or wiflyer themselves actually have it for sale at the moment. Thanks for the link though Brian, one of the crowds listed at that website actually have it! http://www.retractacable.com The only thing that worries me is that there is one on ebay at the moment and the seller said it didnt work with Vista. Does anybody know if that's true?

Thanks also Mayhem I was curious to know if dial up wifi modems actually exist/existed! Do you know if they are difficult to set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

They're called the Orinoco RG-1000 and are relatively easy to setup.
    More here.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

I had read about the wiflyer and was very interested in it. Neither amazon or wiflyer themselves actually have it for sale at the moment. Thanks for the link though Brian, one of the crowds listed at that website actually have it! http://www.retractacable.com The only thing that worries me is that there is one on ebay at the moment and the seller said it didnt work with Vista. Does anybody know if that's true?

Thanks also Mayhem I was curious to know if dial up wifi modems actually exist/existed! Do you know if they are difficult to set up?
    Hi annieobrien8,

The Wiflyer is exactly what you need and you are finding it hard to find because they don’t make them anymore.

I have one! I bought it some time ago to use in a commercial application, tested it once, and it has been sitting on my shelf every since (along with all my other impulse purchases)! :o

I assumed that I would find another use for it at some point but still waiting…

If you were interested I might be able to post it to Tipp early next week if we can come to an agreement? I paid €140 for it at the time, and it’s effectively brand new. You will need a plug adapter for it though and they are very easy and cheap to get.

Not sure about Vista, I can’t image why it wouldn’t work, it should work with anything. Heck it worked perfectly with a Handheld scanner which was running windows mobile 2003. The OS really shouldn’t matter. The version I have is 802.11B.

PM if interested..

• Advertisement

Just in case anybody is interested, after a day of headaches I managed to set up a network between the two computers! It seems to be running fairly well at the moment but the laptop crashed twice (I'm talking about the blue death screens here!) on the first night of using the network, something which it never did before.

Its nice to be wireless, even if it is slow dial up!

When I get a Wiflyer I'll update ye on how good or bad that is!

Just got the Wiflyer. it really was easy to set up, very pleasantly surprised. it was literally as simple as:

1. Plug phone line and power cord into the Wiflyer
    2. Set the laptop to search for wireless networks
    3. Connect to Wiflyer network
    4. Load the webpage listed in the quickstart guide
    5. Fill in the number to dial along with username and password and hit dial!

So far speed seems to be about the same as it used to be through a phone wire :)

Advertisement