Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 Pre-Pay Data - Cost-saving Options?

Options
  • 17-04-2008 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭

I've just moved to O2 Experience (SpeakEasy) last weekend, and I am still gobsmacked by their data charges. Apparently they are 0.01/kb, which results in something like a quick check on e-mail costing anything from 40c (to view the list of mails) to €1.00 (where I might open one of them to read it). I am coming from three where I had unlimited data and used to checking mail perhaps 10 times a day!

I was wondering if there is any cheaper way to do this. Are there any data add-ons for pre-pay? I see on the website there is the notion of subscribing to certain websites - is this an option for yahoo.com (my mail is with yahoo)?

Finally, let me say it again, I am astounded at the cost of data - €10.24 a Mb - and this from a network that trumpets itself with data-heavy phones and apps such as the iPhone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 niai

there are add-ons but thy are 15 for 1gb or 35 for 10gb wich i will not pay

if it was 15 unlimted then i would buy it even 20 i would thing bout it but 35 is to much i am looking for a good network for my iphone i used to be with 3 and thy are grate for data but i cant use them cos no 3g

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Personal/Price+plans/Pay+monthly/Add+ons

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

niai wrote: »
    there are add-ons but thy are 15 for 1gb or 35 for 10gb wich i will not pay

if it was 15 unlimted then i would buy it even 20 i would thing bout it but 35 is to much i am looking for a good network for my iphone i used to be with 3 and thy are grate for data but i cant use them cos no 3g

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Personal/Price+plans/Pay+monthly/Add+ons
    I think the OP was looking for prepay data options. At the moment, there are very little options for people apart from moving to three.. Altho hopefully meteor will see that there is a market for those kind of users when they get their 3G network going later on in the year and offer attractive packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Genghis

Thanks guys - you have confirmed my opinion on 02 being desperately poor value. I think Meteor are the same at the moment, though?

Just to confirm it is pre-pay options. I would pay that e15 if I could for 1GB, even if it compares poorly to three data.

Having just come from three I am not really too enthusiastic about going back there. Datas good value, but there really aren't any other merits.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Yeah, meteor are still ridiculously expensive for prepay data, but still the cheapest option when you use their ISP access point. Works out at 0.48c per kb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Well vodafone have a mb for euro 2.00 using .isp or 50mb for a euro for a 24hr-period via live!ap... Both are better than O2's truly ridiculous options! For prepay that is...
    Using opera mini or yahoo go 3 or even the built in email client I cant even tell how "much" I pay to check my email...
    o2 are obviously completely focussed on getting people to sign contracts: just look at their prepay handset range! It has got to be the most pathetic range of mobiles anywhere in Europe!
    I used to be with them on prepay around the time the k800 came out on contract - when I hinted that I might move to billpay if I get the k for a good price, they hounded me... They were calling at all hours with new, amended offers (I should add that I had spent a LOT with them on speakeasy...they "liked" me...lol)...

yeah, why they ever had the n95 on speakeasy???? Using google maps or gps at a cent/kb data ???hahahahahahaha

• Advertisement
Advertisement