Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tupac Shakur

Options
  • 17-04-2008 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Nearly 12 years on, what are everybody's thoughts on 2pac?

-The Greatest to ever do it?

-Hypocrite?

-Average rapper?

-Misunderstood?

I personally think he's the greatest MC to ever do it, but prefer his politically conscious, gangsta flavoured albums like 2pacalypse Now and Strictly 4 my N.I.G.G.A.Z. than the all out extravagances of All Eyez on Me.

Anyone have any opinions either way........??

Can opened....

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Being a huge fan of rap and listening to everything from Sadat X to Lupe Fiasco, I still think 2Pac is one of the greatest ever to do it. He brought rap music into the spotlight and even though some of his verses were violent, he also managed to show a more socially aware side of the music. A few friends of mine were talking about this the other night, and we seemed to agree that 2Pacs music is continuing to live on the same way Bob Marleys has - you can just throw on a 2pac cd at anytime and the tunes still sound as good as when you first heard them.

All in all an absolute legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭2-ShortDa5foot5

DarkJager wrote: »
    Being a huge fan of rap and listening to everything from Sadat X to Lupe Fiasco, I still think 2Pac is one of the greatest ever to do it. He brought rap music into the spotlight and even though some of his verses were violent, he also managed to show a more socially aware side of the music. A few friends of mine were talking about this the other night, and we seemed to agree that 2Pacs music is continuing to live on the same way Bob Marleys has - you can just throw on a 2pac cd at anytime and the tunes still sound as good as when you first heard them.

All in all an absolute legend.

Ya man dats what we like 2 hear! :D

His life is so interesting and he had so many sides to him that I never get bored of him. I could listen to him all day and all night long, and alot of the music is deep and meaningful. I don't think anybody before or after him really measured up.

I'd say measuring up against 2Pac is all down to personal opinion on him. Some people prefer Biggie (i must be in a minority who cannot stand him) and others think he was a hypocrite. Then there are people who just really got what he was trying to do and appreciate him for that.

I personally think that there will never be another rapper who will match 2pac, because that whole "gangsta" era is gone. I've heard a lot lately, where some misguided blind deaf and dumb idiots seem to think Soulja Boy is the next 2Pac??? How in the fcuk could anybody compare those 2? 2Pac was deep, his beats were good, and he had something to say. Soulja Boy is just a pile of talentless, vapid, noise making ****.

DarkJager wrote: »
    I've heard a lot lately, where some misguided blind deaf and dumb idiots seem to think Soulja Boy is the next 2Pac??? How in the fcuk could anybody compare those 2? 2Pac was deep, his beats were good, and he had something to say. Soulja Boy is just a pile of talentless, vapid, noise making ****.

OH THANK YOU!! :D

Here's a few names; 50 Cent, Mims, Soulja Boy, Ja Rule.....

Let's face it, gangsta rap died with Biggie & Tupac. In fact, I think hip-hop's golden age was 1987-1997. I personally am still buying records from this era! Hip-Hop went commercial, and now it's all about who has the most blinged out video and the flyest clothes/rides/ girls etc etc etc....

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

What happened to the days when emcees were trying to get a message across? Don't get me wrong, I know the flashy macho nature has been present since the beginning, but at least it was balanced out with a political awareness and a desire to bring attention to issues!

Instead of artists like 2pac, Public Enemy and N.W.A., we have SOULJA BOY, P Diddy (The WORST) and 50 Cent.

UGH! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

2Pac is the most over rated rapper ever! And I'm not a Biggie fan boy.
    He was a far better actor than he was a rapper.
    He was an average rapper at best. People credit him with bringing rap music to the masses. That's a load of ****e. To the best of my memory, and I was listening to him when 2Pacalypse & Strictly 4... were released, he didn't have that many chart hits. People started latching on to him when California Love was released and then all his posthumous stuff.

I would have like to hear him work with some good producers. Would love to have heard him do something over a Primo banger.

Holla If Ya Hear Me is still a classic to me I have to admit.

• Advertisement

But why would you measure his success or talent as a rapper against how many chart hits he had?? He didn't need a number 1 single to get his message out. Thats the problem with these "rappers" nowadays, they're all bringing in the likes of Justin Timberlake to get their songs into the charts and its complete bullsh1t. Give me a 2Pac track anyday over the likes of 50 Cent...

I don't measure any rapper's talent against his chart success. If that was the case Rakim would never be mentioned.

I measure a rapper's talent against his "skillz", which 2Pac's will never be regard as great.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Four-Too

2pac made the World that bit more positive amidst some some suffering and hardship for a lot of people. I think it depends on your circumstances, if you've experienced poverty 2pac is your man for example. When I hear songs like Changes I feel like I've been touched by God. Ya feel me??

How can 2Pacs skills not be regarded as great?? Yeah he had a few songs about bling and bitches, but at the same time he had another side to him - which is sadly lacking in every single rapper around today. Its all about how much money they have and how many bitches they can get nowadays, nobody seems to have anything interesting to say anymore. That in my opinion, is what will always put 2Pac above everybody else...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

DarkJager wrote:
    but at the same time he had another side to him - which is sadly lacking in every single rapper around today. Its all about how much money they have and how many bitches they can get nowadays, nobody seems to have anything interesting to say anymore.

Holy sweeping generalisations Batman.

• Advertisement

Ay Cee wrote: »
    To the best of my memory, and I was listening to him when 2Pacalypse & Strictly 4... were released, he didn't have that many chart hits. People started latching on to him when California Love was released and then all his posthumous stuff.

I would have like to hear him work with some good producers. Would love to have heard him do something over a Primo banger.

Holla If Ya Hear Me is still a classic to me I have to admit.

Memory mustn't be that great so. :rolleyes:

Brenda's got a baby and Trapped from 2pacalypse Now were hits. Keep ya head up and I get around were hits from Strictly 4 my N.I.G.G.A.Z. Dear Mama, Me against The World, and Temptations were hits from Me Against The World. California Love as u have said was a hit from All Eyez on me. U seem to be forgetting tracks like I ain't mad at cha, How do u want it, Picture Me Rollin', Ambitionz az a ridah, and All about u among others which were all huge. From The Don Killuminati: The 7 day theory, how about Hail Mary? To live and die in L.A.? Krazy? Toss it up?

As regards his posthumous stuff, I will concede that besides the exception of tracks like Do for love and Changes. maybe a few others, it's mostly weak and monotonous.

As regards producers, ya I agree he could've worked with better. I still love a lot of the producers he did work with though. Bobcat who produced most of the Strictly.. album, Daz Dillinger who produced some of the best tracks on All Eyez, Dr. Dre obviously, Johnny J, again from All Eyez, Devante Swing of Jodeci, Easy Mo Bee, DJ Quik, etc etc...

Besides him having a number of mainstream hits, I also have to disagree with him lacking skills. I'd refer u back to Strictly 4 my N.I.G.G.A.Z. and All Eyez on Me for any doubts u might have on this! :)

His early stuff *might* have hit the charts over here at the time, not that I can remember but they certainly didn't make any sort of impression. All Eyez... was the last time I heard anything from him that was anyway decent.

All just personal opinion when all is said and done.

Makaveli wrote: »
    Holy sweeping generalisations Batman.

Well I assume from ur name that u are a fan? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Cocobells

I can see most here are casual listeners. Tupac's Last Real Album was R U Still Down from 1997, which was left in somewhat original format, although there was a lot remixed. everything after that was heavily remixed watered down and stripped of everything he worked for in his short time here, you can thank Amaru for that. they'd rather paint a picture that he was a saint rather then a thug.
    He accomplished an outstanding amount and left us with a wealth of material in 6 years, unmatched in any other genre by any other artist, upwards of 600 songs, over 100 still unreleased to this day, nobody can be compared to Tupac Shakur Ie: Biggie Eazy E, anyone period. they were completely different men with completely different legacy's so a comparison is ridiculous. I have been a huge fan and collector of his works for well over a 15 year period, spending upwards of 20k on material, ie music and footage. there is a wealth of new material to be seen and heard nearly everyday if you delve deep enough, fans don't rely on posthumous albums for our fix, the dirty bootleggers supply us with what we need.
    If you like hip-hop or even if you don't, nobody can deny that Tupac Shakur was one of the greatest musicians of our generation, and his music will live on forever.

Cocobells wrote: »
    I can see most here are casual listeners. Tupac's Last Real Album was R U Still Down from 1997, which was left in somewhat original format, although there was a lot remixed. everything after that was heavily remixed watered down and stripped of everything he worked for in his short time here, you can thank Amaru for that. they'd rather paint a picture that he was a saint rather then a thug.
    He accomplished an outstanding amount and left us with a wealth of material in 6 years, unmatched in any other genre by any other artist, upwards of 600 songs, over 100 still unreleased to this day, nobody can be compared to Tupac Shakur Ie: Biggie Eazy E, anyone period. they were completely different men with completely different legacy's so a comparison is ridiculous. I have been a huge fan and collector of his works for well over a 15 year period, spending upwards of 20k on material, ie music and footage. there is a wealth of new material to be seen and heard nearly everyday if you delve deep enough, fans don't rely on posthumous albums for our fix, the dirty bootleggers supply us with what we need.
    If you like hip-hop or even if you don't, nobody can deny that Tupac Shakur was one of the greatest musicians of our generation, and his music will live on forever.

Finally we have a real Tupac enthusiast. :) It's good to know there are people out there who know there is a deeper level to the man, and recognise his genius.

Nobody else has had an impact on the industry like him. And as for the posthumous releases I agree with you 100%. How can anybody compare the farce of Pac's Life and Until The End of Time with Strictly 4 my N.I.G.G.A.Z.? It's like comparing Ja Rule with Public Enemy! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 GhettoSoldier

Tupac = god

Tupac = god

That's the end of this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

He was excellent - did a lot for rap music and many other things - his memory stands for alot -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Au

i think he is over-rated.
    i dont even bother to listen to him much, 'cause there is so many better mcs in the world.

Au wrote: »
    i think he is over-rated.
    i dont even bother to listen to him much, 'cause there is so many better mcs in the world.

Good argument... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 GhettoSoldier

2pac made songs about struggle, the ghetto, that people all over the world could relate to

thats why hes the greatest

Keep Ya Head Up
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfXwmDGJAB8

Dear Mama
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNcloTmvTeA

My Block
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE1FqiDFDbA

Life Goes On
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W69SSLfRJho

Thugz Mansion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kExHaBkEYi8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

Tupac deserves credit for dieing at the right time in the right circumstances, which in turn brought his music to the masses. Not for being this demi-god rapper that people seem to see as.

In fairness he could tell a story, but so can most people, he didnt tell them amazingly well IMO, just had the right stage to do it on. There are alot better storytelling raps song than "Brendas gotta Baby" etc that people rally on about when refering to "The Great Pac".

His rap style was mainstream, simple and sold to the masses, fair play. It didnt build on the genre, it just built on the number of people who listened to the genre. People might of started listening to hiphop because they heard Tupac on the radio, but when they really get into it, and go through to the soul of it, the real stuff, the original, Rakim, Slick Rick early LL, Pimp C etc etc, I'd even go as far as early Oukast, they realise what Tupac was doing was fairly standard, that he never pushed the boundaries, ****, the lad rarely even rapped outside of the AB format.

IMO a great rapper does something that others dont, thus improving the depth of the genre, or developing a new style with the genre, Tupac didnt do this.

Pen1987 wrote: »
    Tupac deserves credit for dieing at the right time in the right circumstances, which in turn brought his music to the masses. Not for being this demi-god rapper that people seem to see as.

In fairness he could tell a story, but so can most people, he didnt tell them amazingly well IMO, just had the right stage to do it on. There are alot better storytelling raps song than "Brendas gotta Baby" etc that people rally on about when refering to "The Great Pac".

His rap style was mainstream, simple and sold to the masses, fair play. It didnt build on the genre, it just built on the number of people who listened to the genre. People might of started listening to hiphop because they heard Tupac on the radio, but when they really get into it, and go through to the soul of it, the real stuff, the original, Rakim, Slick Rick early LL, Pimp C etc etc, I'd even go as far as early Oukast, they realise what Tupac was doing was fairly standard, that he never pushed the boundaries, ****, the lad rarely even rapped outside of the AB format.

IMO a great rapper does something that others dont, thus improving the depth of the genre, or developing a new style with the genre, Tupac didnt do this.

I started listening to hip-hop after hearing 2pac. As a result I got into artists like N.W.A., Biggie, Public Enemy, Eric B & Rakim, KRS One, Royce Da 5'9", Redman, EPMD, Big L, Mos Def, Puff Daddy... (That last one was a joke ;))

Anyway, as regards his skills, I don't think it is fair to say he was average. I will agree that some of his stuff that entered the charts was weak, but to get the real Tupac u need to listen ho his albums in entirety. Ever heard Last Wordz featuring Ice Cube & Ice T? Holla if ya hear me? Only fear of death? Fake a*s b*tches? Maybe just my opinion but Keep ya head up is one of the greatest hip-hop tracks ever.

U need to delve deeper to find the best of Tupac IMO. Don't rate him solely on Brenda's got a baby and California Love.

Besides his skills, I think there was never anybody (and probably never will be again) with as much charisma as Tupac. I'm not saying being a star is a prerequisite for being a rapper, but that it adds to his appeal.

Believe me I've listened to his whole back catalogue. I was once a big fan, until I got into hiphop a bit deeper. Keep ya head up, Picture me rollin', still two of my favorite songs when I'm in the right mood.

What I'm saying is if you were a long time listener to hiphop who SOMEHOW had never heard a song by NWA, Royce, KRSONE, EPMD, Wu-Tang, LOTUG, Tupac, or any of the more modern artists I've mentioned earlier and someone sat you dwn and made you listen to ten songs of each artist, you wouldnt name Tupac as the best, or even in the top three.

An example of what I love about Hiphop
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=YFbLRZCExBk&feature=related

An example what epitomises Tupac to me
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=FWOsbGP5Ox4

Listen to them back to back, the LOTUG has that edge, its got something other genres dont have, the funk the head nodding need to listen more.
    The Tupac track is him trying to be edgy, but its still no where near that gritty dritty sound that the Wu, Rakim etc etc etc all accomplish... its sounds like pop music when compared!

In the Lords of The Underground track its hiphop because its fresh, its samples that are unrecognisable, scratching, stuff you can break to, hiphop culture, the rap-style is new, the rhythms of the lyrics are new and original...

In the Tupac track its Tupac rapping in pop tones (he doesnt even sound gritty) over a Roger Troutman song that Dre slightly sped up (Dre did **** all to the sample, its a joke)...

Listen the old version of Cali Love, its the same song with Tupac on it... wheres the originality! wheres the hiphop!
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=PNN3HtCIZXM

Believe me I've listened to his whole back catalogue. I was once a big fan, until I got into hiphop a bit deeper. Keep ya head up, Picture me rollin', still two of my favorite songs when I'm in the right mood.

What I'm saying is if you were a long time listener to hiphop who SOMEHOW had never heard a song by NWA, Royce, KRSONE, EPMD, Wu-Tang, LOTUG, Tupac, or any of the more modern artists I've mentioned earlier and someone sat you dwn and made you listen to ten songs of each artist, you wouldnt name Tupac as the best, or even in the top three.

Fair enough. It's all personal opinion at the end of the day!

Edit- Who are LOTUG? (Genuine question, not tryin 2b smart!!)

Post editted while you replied there boss... LOTUG link provided...

An example of what I love about Hiphop
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=YFbLRZCExBk&feature=related

An example what epitomises Tupac to me
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=FWOsbGP5Ox4

Listen to them back to back, the LOTUG has that edge, its got something other genres dont have, the funk the head nodding need to listen more.
    The Tupac track is him trying to be edgy, but its still no where near that gritty dritty sound that the Wu, Rakim etc etc etc all accomplish... its sounds like pop music when compared!

In the Lords of The Underground track its hiphop because its fresh, its samples that are unrecognisable, scratching, stuff you can break to, hiphop culture, the rap-style is new, the rhythms of the lyrics are new and original...

In the Tupac track its Tupac rapping in pop tones (he doesnt even sound gritty) over a Roger Troutman song that Dre slightly sped up (Dre did **** all to the sample, its a joke)...

Listen the old version of Cali Love, its the same song with Tupac on it... wheres the originality! wheres the hiphop!
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=PNN3HtCIZXM

Will check LOTUG out.

Don't think it's fair to give "California Love" as an example of 2pac's work though. I'm familiar with the original track, and personally don't like it either! I'll post up some links in a min that I think sum up 2pac, can't now cos I's in work and my internets restricted.... :rolleyes:

Not arguing ur point, ur obviously a man who knows his hip-hop and knows what he likes! Just feel these three justify 2pac's status a little better than California Love:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk2syhGCzkw

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=HfXwmDGJAB8

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=8k2GywV1QC8

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

Just coped this thread now and its a good discussion. IMO 2pac is up there with the best of all time. Have to say tho that since he died i have not bought any of his (not really his!) new albums which are just rehashed garbage. I'm sure if he had been around a lot of that stuff would not of come out in the same format. All eyes, makavelli and 2pacalypse are all great albums and stand as a testament to his rapping skills. Anyone stating that 2pac is garbage has no clue of what he did for rap/hip-hop music, how good his lyrics are and how it exposed it to wider audience. Having siad that i find his stuff a bit dated today, were as i can listen to BIG and still think it is the same as when i first heard it. My 2 cent anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Four-Too

Bull****, 2pac lives forwever...his music will be relevant as long as humans are living. He is supposed to be a prophet also. "Blasphemy", "Starin through my rearview", "Last motherf*cker breathin", "I wonder if heaven's got a ghetto", "Letter to my unborn child" and "Only God can judge me" are very much worth listening to and I'm surprised these haven't been mentioned yet.
    There never was, and there never will be, another rapper better than him.

Advertisement