Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yukon DSAS Directional Sound Amplifier

Options
  • 17-04-2008 11:10am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone any thoughts on this, or some of the smaller units available. I was thinking of making a purchases to boost recordings at source and not electronically afterwards.

http://www.tomsgadgets.com/products/details.aspx?pc=MIC70-49

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

surely all this will do is give you a larger range to record rather than boost a small local range and you'll just end up thinking a dog barking half a mile away is someone talking?

delivers the sounds emanating from the subject under observation while discriminating against sound from outside the selected area

I'd lvoe to see how that works out in the real world

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

iamhunted wrote: »
    surely all this will do is give you a larger range to record rather than boost a small local range and you'll just end up thinking a dog barking half a mile away is someone talking?

Well taking a recording home and boosting it/filtering it is much the same no? at least the source would be clearer and you could eliminate the "barking" at source.

It does mention that it can direct where it will record, maybe it has a hood on it to boost/concentrate on the sound waves coming from a certain direction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Looks pretty cool, very sensitive and the idea of posting the reception of sound rather than trying to boost the volume of a recording after is definitely the right one. On the other hand it does seem to be very very directional, would a uni-directional not be better?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

maybe stevemu unidirectional would be the way to go,
    you are correct though, its the principle more then the particular bit of kit that I'm most interested.

I also checked Iamhunted, it does not have a parabolic dish, so I don't know how it operates as claimed, i was wondering if anyone has ever used one.

• Advertisement

i dont know enouigh about how they do the recording. I assume they boost the field of recording - ie, between the mic and the furthest range of the mic - so they would record everything in between. say this was 300 feet - then you have 300 feets worth of sound. they say you can hone in on what you ywant but they dont explain just how you do that - theres no way of selecting anything outside of pointing the mic (though im probably wrong on that)

So basically you get a lot of sound from a large area which will make it hard to work out what is from where.

If you use a smaller range mic and amplify it then you get only the sound from that small area. Amplifying the sound isnt always necessary, depending in the mics and recording gear you use - but even if it is necessary its not going to badly effect the finished sample. At least though you'll know the sound was from the immediate area though rather than a sound somewhere between here and 300 ft away.

Again - Im only guessing on that (going by the info on the page) and I assume the take of filtering the sound is sales talk.

a good quality mic and a good quality recording device would probaly give good result. good mics are expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

look a nice peice of epuipment,,,,the only thing i would be worried is that does it do what it says on the tin,,,i would be intrested in how it goes stoner ,keep me informed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lotsapockets

You can produce a simple directional microphone by fitting a normal mic inside of a tight tube then insulating the tube and sealing the one end of the tube closest to the microphone. You could even mount the microphone on a slide inside the tube to obtain a degree of focus. The closer to the open end of the tube, the wider the coverage of the mic. Though as with most things for best results use quality equipment.

Advertisement