Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit making noise

Options
  • 17-04-2008 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I got a pet rabbit last october, he's about a year old now. He sleeps in the bathroom off my room which is carpeted. He has his bed in there with his food and water etc. Before Christmas he was making a lot of noise digging at the carpet and making holes in the corners of it and waking me up at night. I covered these areas so he couldn't get at them and gave him loads of cardboard boxes and some toys to play with.

But what he's starting doing for the past few months is banging at the door to be left into the bedroom with me at like 3am and 6am. he comes in and hops up onto the bed with me and digs at the blankets and keeps me awake.

I got him neutered last week in the hope that he would calm down a little bit but he's the exact same all this week (minus the humping!) and i really can't get any sleep with him at all. There's nowhere else i can put him in the house cause he would just wake up everyone else.

just looking for any suggestions on how I could stop this behaviour?
    HELP! cause i need sleep!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

You could get a cage for him to sleep in. It's brilliant for him to have an area like that where he can be free roaming, but it's no harm to confine him to a cage for certain times, like when you need to sleep. He may still make noise at first, but with less space available to him the level of noise he can make will be limited.

It will probably take a bit longer for the neutering to have it's full effect, by the way, you can probably expect for him to settle down more over the next few months. If you were to confine him to a cage for a few months, you could very likely start leaving him out again once you have changed his habits enough that he doesn't wake you at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

hi carwash, ya his bed is actually a cage with a top piece that goes onto it. whenever i kept him in that he just used to make a lot of noise as well but i'll give it a go to see if the neutering has made an impact.

thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I know sleep deprivation isnt funny but he does sound like a lovely cheeky bun.

As Carwash said, if you define his night time area he might settle.

Carpet isnt the most ideal for rabbits, it harbours bacteria resembles grass in a way which is why is prob likes to dig at it.

There are a few things you could try during the day time.

Fill a box with peat moss (ideally in an area you dont mind being messed up).

Give him toys at night like plain brown paper bag filled with hay, kitchen roll insert filled with hay and veggies.
    There are bunny toys online too for chewing and shredding that will keep him occupied.

Also it sounds like he craves company if its possible a spayed female rabbit for company someone to snuggle up to at night.

The neutering can take 5 to 6 weeks approx to show its affects so if he carried on being naughty after that time he may be just lonley and need company of another bun.

Bless, he sounds so naughty though not so funny in the middle of the night I guess.

Advertisement