Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What size run ?

Options
  • 17-04-2008 7:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭

I am thinking about getting 2 labradore pups this summer ( 1 ideally, but i dont want him to be lonley while myself and wife are at work and son is at school)

What size run would be suitable for 2 dogs ? fenced and concrete i presume ? I dont really want to go down the elec collor road and dont want them to have access to the road while noone is there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Would you consider rescue pup? Getting two pups can cause more problems not always but sometimes. It all depends how long you are gone during the day if you are gone more than 3 or 4 hours a day then pups are not a good idea. A young adult dog that is used to being left for a few hours each day might be a better option.

Its not the size of the run that matters (obviously it cant be tiny) its how long they spend in it at a time as well.

For one lab sized adult dog something like smallest size 8 by 6 but larger is better. cilldara.ie do dog runs concrete base is best.

Do consider getting an adult dog because it really wouldnt be fair for young pups,no matter how many are together to be left for more than a few hours a day. An alternative is a dog walker to come in during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

For a single dog 4mt by 3 mts is ample and 8 by 6 is very big for 2. 6 by 4 would do.
    Don't get in to the nonsense about it being unfair to leave a pup for more that 3 hours. We've debated this many times before and it's clear the dog does not suffer if it's done right.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Ceolta

Hi, make sure you do have another surface for the dogs to lie on as concrete can favour arthritis and rheuma. Ideally have a flat-roofed dog house where they can either lie in or on top.

I do agree of getting an older (or two) rescue dog though instead of two pups.

Roisin;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I'd say make the run as big as possible, it really depends on your garden and how long the dogs will be spending in it.

as for getting pups while your working, it isn't usually a good idea since pups need consistent training, house training etc. If you're working full time, it'll also be difficult to get pups out most days socializing them and 2 young labs will need A LOT of exercise. Have you considered rescue dogs at all? There are plenty of young dogs looking for homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I'd say make the run as big as possible, it really depends on your garden and how long the dogs will be spending in it.

as for getting pups while your working, it isn't usually a good idea since pups need consistent training, house training etc. If you're working full time, it'll also be difficult to get pups out most days socializing them and 2 young labs will need A LOT of exercise. Have you considered rescue dogs at all? There are plenty of young dogs looking for homes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement