Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Irish sentences using....

Options
  • 16-04-2008 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭

Ag, le, do agus ar. E.g. Is tuirse orm, Is maith liom. Looking for a few more say leaving cert level ones.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

níl aon pingin ruagdh agam:D
    i havent a red penny(im broke)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

"Is tuirse orm"

:D

Try "Níl Gaeilge ar bith agam"

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Ag, le, do agus ar. E.g. Is tuirse orm, Is maith liom. Looking for a few more say leaving cert level one's.

English isn't great either.. and it's sentences too by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

it's Tá tuirse orm.

if you get to know when to use Is and when to use Tá you'll be well on your way to better irish.

Is fear mé
    Tá mé fear ... X...

Tá ocras orm
    Is ocras orm ... X...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Anyone with a few more useful ones, if you can post the English that would be great too.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

Ag, le, do agus ar. E.g. Is tuirse orm, Is maith liom. Looking for a few more say leaving cert level ones.

Ag? As in ag rith, ag caoineadh, ag labhairt? Running, crying, speaking. Ag translates as "ing", but it can also mean "at", as in "at the door". Is this what you're looking for?

Le - in aice le, beside. Le mo dhearthair, with my brother. Plodaithe le daoine, packed with people. Dubh le daoine, crowded with people, in an idiomatic way.

Ta tuirse an domhain orm. Ta me tuirseach traochta. Nil fuinneamh ar bith agam. These are all possible alternative ways of saying I am tired, they translate as, I'm very tired, I'm exhausted, I've no energy at all.

If you're looking for good phrases in the oral, I'd go for "dearfainn", "is e mo thuairim", "is doigh liom go bhfuil", "n'fheadar", "nil chlu da lathaid agam", "nil a fhios agam faoi sin, caithfidh me a ra", or something like that. They mean, I would say, Its my opinion, I suppose that, Dunno, I haven't a clue, I don't know about that, I have to say.

In the essay, stuff like "Aointaim go huile is go hiomlan", "Is leir domsa", "Taibhsitear domsa", "Feictear domsa", "Ag dul in olcas ata cursai", are all good phrases to use. They mean, I agree totally, It's clear to me, It seems to me, It looks to me, Things are getting worse.

Apols for lack of fadas. Also there's a whole sticky thread on Irish phrases up the top, I'm sure there's loads with "ag" "le" "do", or whatevs.

Advertisement