Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I start Chemistry now??

Options
  • 16-04-2008 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

almost at the end of 5th year and ive kinda done a double take! am wondering would i be able to pick up chemistry at higher and get a C?? am i being mad or is it possible?really dont want to start 5th year again but i dont want this to come back on me later on?? any advice really appreciated im confuzed?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

when i read this i thought you were in 6th year for a second :P

but yeah of course! but you'd to start NOW NOW and do alot of work over the summer cause if u just jump into class without any of the basics you wont have a clue wat's going on#

have you talked to the chemistry teacher about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lorr3

to be honest no havnt told anyone yet think most i know in the class wil think im crazy! most seem v.stressed over it. I wont be able to switch to the class so it would be mostly off my own bat + whatever help i can get
    am really undecicded about what i want to do and am only realising now that chem might not have been so good to leave out?? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

You could always get grinds over the summer! Sure I'm in fifth year and switched to Biology last week! It'll be a lot of work, but it's doable!

kind of noticin that now loads of my year changin their minds! guidance before makin subject choice was non existant so there is a logic! kind of upsettin at the same time have enough on my plate would put the work in but just very very woried that it would be a waste?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

Well it really depends on what you're thinking of doing after school - not too many courses have chemistry as a specific subject requirement. If you're worried about putting in a lot of extra work, and it being a waste, just check the requirements for any courses you might be vaguely interested in doing first, maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

lorr3 wrote: »
    kind of noticin that now loads of my year changin their minds! guidance before makin subject choice was non existant so there is a logic! kind of upsettin at the same time have enough on my plate would put the work in but just very very woried that it would be a waste?

what subject are u doing instead of chemistry?
    and why do you want to do chemistry?

chem is on when i have bus org. am gettin on really well am lookin at an A (fingers crossed) cant afford to lose those points but now have been lookin at veterinary and its getting more and more appealing. Have been known to change my mind more than once :) but this has been niglin at me for a while now. know it has been silly to waste time thinkin if it is what i want but am scared really.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

lorr3 wrote: »
    chem is on when i have bus org. am gettin on really well am lookin at an A (fingers crossed) cant afford to lose those points but now have been lookin at veterinary and its getting more and more appealing. Have been known to change my mind more than once :) but this has been niglin at me for a while now. know it has been silly to waste time thinkin if it is what i want but am scared really.

It is possible but you have to ask yourself how much you want veterinary as you have said yourself you have been known to change your mind. It might be an idea to get some work experience in a vet's practice, or observe in one and see if you like it before you dive head first into the chemistry course.

Having said that I had a girl in my LC class who took up chemistry and joined the 6th year group and came out with a C2 after one year. Her situation was slightly different, she had her place in college on a science course deferred for the year and was doing a full time PLC in the school and took up chemistry as an extra so she would have a good grounding when she started her degree. She had to do a good bit of work herself as I was half way through the course and I didn't have time to go back over everything with her.

The other thing is are you taking this as an 8th subject and if so will you be able to handle the workload?

ya i guess so. am really not sure just wanted to c wat other people thought thats all. thanks for all advice anyways.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

just make sure you actaully do work over the summer, DONT PUT IT OFF

you wont get anything done that way,

get a grind or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I switched to physics from economics about 6 weeks ago and I find it grand. If you put in the work you shouldn't have any problems. I certainly amn't having any problems, and my teacher is helping me out a lunch time, so I'm sure the chemistry teacher might do the same for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 paperglue1234

im in a similar position with history, i have found history impossible to actually sit down and learn cause of the long course ect.. and im seriously contemplating making the move to home ec, the subject i should have done in the first place, i did for junior cert and got an a so i have the bare basics, is it too late to move?? iv been getting fairly poor results in history essays, even though i find the subject interesting, but i feel i would do much better in home ec, anyone got any advice??:confused::confused::confused:thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

im in a similar position with history, i have found history impossible to actually sit down and learn cause of the long course ect.. and im seriously contemplating making the move to home ec, the subject i should have done in the first place, i did for junior cert and got an a so i have the bare basics, is it too late to move?? iv been getting fairly poor results in history essays, even though i find the subject interesting, but i feel i would do much better in home ec, anyone got any advice??:confused::confused::confused:thx

Dictatorship&Democracy (blue book) - there are definitely a lot of boring parts in that e.g. french goverment, trotsky and stalin etc.

We are doing American History, Montgomery bus boycott, Vietnam War, Moon Landings.

The first two are extremely interesting but the moonlandings is incredibly boring.

Some parts of history are boring!!!! But just read the book, read over chapters, do all the short questions to sharpen you up and it will sink in.

CRAM CRAM CRAM coming up to tests!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

you might have problems switching to home economics. Aside from trying to catch up on the theory ( and I believe it's a fairly long course), there is a coursework element which has to be completed early on in Leaving Cert year - November. From what I understand it's based on cookery practicals which I assume are completed in fifth year. This is what happens in the school I work in anyway. You would probably need to talk to your home economics teacher as soon as possible to see if you can switch. Sticking with history might be the easier option

Advertisement