Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sun Beds

Options
  • 16-04-2008 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

Wasn't sure where to post this.

Does anyone know how many minutes a week would be considered "safe" under a sunbed i know 0 minutes ideally but in general whats the rule of thumb?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

At this stage it's generally considered none at all.

The problem is you are talking about the long term effects such as skin cancer so by the time something starts to show you've been using them too long.

There's a fair bit of information here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Cupcakes

Whats your skin tone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 corkfun

ntlbell wrote: »
    Wasn't sure where to post this.

Does anyone know how many minutes a week would be considered "safe" under a sunbed i know 0 minutes ideally but in general whats the rule of thumb?
    IMO
    0 minutes,
    I'm surprised people still use them.
    but i suppose, we are all going to die, might as well pick how.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Gillo wrote: »
    At this stage it's generally considered none at all.

The problem is you are talking about the long term effects such as skin cancer so by the time something starts to show you've been using them too long.

There's a fair bit of information here.

I've never used them before it will be a "once off"

Cupcakes wrote: »
    Whats your skin tone?

I'll say nicley irishly pale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Does the sun tan you?

If it doesn't there's not point in going on a sunbed because no tan will develop.

As stated before there is no "safe" amount of time on a sunbed so you really just have to weigh up the risks for yourself. You should also use the shortest amount of time for your skintone. If you're fair that's 3-4 minutes a session.

You also say a "once off" do you mean a once off set of sessions or just once. If it's just once it won't really bring up much of a colour either. Short sessions every other day is what brings up the colour.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Does the sun tan you?

If it doesn't there's not point in going on a sunbed because no tan will develop.

As stated before there is no "safe" amount of time on a sunbed so you really just have to weigh up the risks for yourself. You should also use the shortest amount of time for your skintone. If you're fair that's 3-4 minutes a session.

You also say a "once off" do you mean a once off set of sessions or just once. If it's just once it won't really bring up much of a colour either. Short sessions every other day is what brings up the colour.

Well I'll have access to it for two weeks and I'll never have access to it again so it's a once of time.

I was thiniking maybe 6 sessions of 5 mins over the two weeks

then i started reading the internets and i dont want to go near it.

internets ruin everything.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

LOL!

Knowledge is power and all that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

kizzyr wrote: »

Whats wrong with hairy legs :mad:

• Advertisement

Whats wrong with hairy legs :mad:

Shaving or waxing your legs isn't a risk to your life though is it? Work away at the sunbeds if you want, its your life, your skin etc etc however leaving aside the melanoma issue (and I'd trade having that for being pale anyday) excessive exposure ages your skin so much.
    If you don't like being pale that much why don't you opt for a decent fake tan? I know lots of people have gone down the tango route which is horrible but you can apply a little and look good.

kizzyr wrote: »
    Shaving or waxing your legs isn't a risk to your life though is it? Work away at the sunbeds if you want, its your life, your skin etc etc however leaving aside the melanoma issue (and I'd trade having that for being pale anyday) excessive exposure ages your skin so much.
    If you don't like being pale that much why don't you opt for a decent fake tan? I know lots of people have gone down the tango route which is horrible but you can apply a little and look good.

sorry I forgot a smiley face, i was joking and i had just read your post about your legs.

I have never used a sun bed I have no real interest in going around tanned up in a miami vice suit i just thought it might be fun for a change and wanted to do it safely.

sorry I forgot a smiley face, i was joking and i had just read your post about your legs.

I have never used a sun bed I have no real interest in going around tanned up in a miami vice suit i just thought it might be fun for a change and wanted to do it safely.[/QUOTE]

Then I think you'll have to fake it:) BTW my legs are lovely:D and they're pale too! TBH I think I'm leading a one woman revolt against tanning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

There are some less biased answers in the other sun bed thread on the first page of this forum.

Advertisement