Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting veg - frost?

Options
  • 16-04-2008 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

I've planted parsnips and beetroot over the last couple of days. However with the frost (a light but very definite frost on the car first thing this morning) we've had over the last couple of nights i'm a bit concerned the seeds will be damaged...

Can anyone comment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

pburns wrote: »
    I've planted parsnips and beetroot over the last couple of days. However with the frost (a light but very definite frost on the car first thing this morning) we've had over the last couple of nights i'm a bit concerned the seeds will be damaged...

Can anyone comment?

It's highly unlikely your seeds will be affected by a light frost. They will not have germinated yet and the main trouble for plants is frost on the green shoots. At this time of year seeds sown outside can take quite a long time to germinate. My beetroot seeds were sown in pots in a polytunnel on 25 March but did not germinate until a fortnight later. And parsnips can be notoriously slow - between a fortnight and three weeks. If this cool/cold spell continues and you are worried about future frosts you could cover the area with some horticultural fleece which is available from Garden Centres and DIY Stores.

Advertisement