Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone got linux running on iMac G3?

Options
  • 16-04-2008 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

anyone got linux running on iMac G3?

tried to get Xubuntu 6.06 installed last night, using alternate install cd. had problems trying to setup new partitions on harddisk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

i was trying to install mandrive 2005 last night on my old imac too, but no joy. if i figure it out i'll post it up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

simonw wrote: »
    i was trying to install mandrive 2005 last night on my old imac too, but no joy. if i figure it out i'll post it up
    Try using a more up-to-date release. Bugs are usually ironed out in newer releases. I didn't realise Mandriva provided PPC images of the distro.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

i was just using that because i thought it was the most up to date release on ppc, but i could've been following old links.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

got Xubuntu 6.10 to install. runs pretty well - need to get sound working & 3 USB modem...

installed Debian 4 (r3??) & Xubuntu 7.04 on the iMac last night. still having the same issues with no sound & getting 3 usb modem to work :confused:

• Advertisement

ambasite wrote: »
    installed Debian 4 (r3??) & Xubuntu 7.04 on the iMac last night. still having the same issues with no sound & getting 3 usb modem to work :confused:
    I know the 3 modem works fine on x86 hardware; not sure about PPC.

Anyway, this should fix the sound. Open a terminal (don't use Gnome but it should be either under Applications --> Utilities or Other --> Admin). Type the following:
    sudo modprobe snd-powermac

You'll be prompted to enter your password. Try playing some audio (ensuring the volume is turned up!). If it's working, you now need to have this module loaded every time you boot the machine. To do this, again in the terminal, do:
    sudo snd-powermac >> /etc/modules

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ethernet wrote: »
    sudo snd-powermac >> /etc/modules

Needs to be:
    sudo [B]echo[/B] snd-powermac >> /etc/modules

...no?

Thanks, oscarBravo. My bad. Didn't want to have OP cracking open vim or emacs :D

ethernet wrote: »
    Thanks, oscarBravo. My bad. Didn't want to have OP cracking open vim or emacs :D

:D the nano editor does just fine.

Advertisement