Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching: CAO or postgrad?

Options
  • 16-04-2008 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I am currently studying Arts (French, Spanish, Chinese, Greek and Roman) in UCC but I'm not feeling fully satisfied there. I like the college and it's nearby but I'm not motivated and there isn't much definite structure.

Primary teaching has always been at the back of my mind but, although I got the points to do it, my languages won out in the end.

I have reapplied to the CAO but amn't positive that I want to move from Cork.
    I'm a language person and would love to use them in my future career but would hate secondary teaching.

I can't decide whether or not to complete my Arts degree before doing the B.Ed. I've heard the acceptance rate for the postgrad is only 25%ish and don't want to regret leaving it until after.

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to get the postgrad and is it a better idea to just use my Leaving?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

The places on the postgrad course were increased this year, so there's a better chance of you getting a place if you do choose to apply.

When attending interview for the postgrad primary teaching course, 100 marks go for the English interview and 40 marks go for the Irish interview. It is a requirement to pass the Irish interview to get offered a place. You can't compensate with marks from the English interview.

The best thing you can do if you want to do the postgrad is, most obviously first of all, get a degree. Second of all, improve your Irish if needs be. Thirdly, try and get some experience in the classroom by subbing somewhere.

There are 4 colleges that do this course, 1 in Limerick and 3 in Dublin. The course lasts 18 months.

Your other option is to drop out of your current course and try and get into the B. Ed. course starting September/October. This will last 3 years (4 years to get an honours degree from Marino and Froebel, 3 for a pass degree from them).

Your choices are Limerick or Dublin. While you may not want to move away from home right now, this option may be the easier one to get into (depending on your points on the CAO, I'll presume they're high enough). The CAO option is certainly the quicker one by a year (I'll presume you're in first year in UCC).

I hope this was of help to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

You say you're a language person, why not consider becoming a language teacher at second level? You say you hate it, how do you know? I have taught at both levels, thought I'd hate secondary, it's where I'm at now.

Advertisement