Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's it like living in Castleconnell?

Options
  • 15-04-2008 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

There's a nice development there that seems interesting.

What's the town like?

For driving into the city, and to Shannon, does it look likely anytime soon that the roads will be in place?

Simon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Castleconnell is great (I'm in Castlerock).

Distance to the city is perfect - not too far away that its hard to get to, but far enough away that its nice and quiet in the evenings.

Driving into the city is fine - you can go in the Dublin road through Castletroy, or take the bypass and go in via the Tipperary Road.

Shannon can be reached easily through O'Briens Bridge and Sixmilebridge (avoiding traffic in Limerick)

Not sure when the new road to Shannon is open, but I wouldn't use it anyway (the scenic route is easier) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I'm not from Castleconnell myself but I always think it looks like a real nice place to live!
    As Mr. E says it's the perfect distance from the city which is great if you work or go to school/college in Limerick.
    The roads are grand and the new train service is starting in september which will be very handy for commuters!

What I love about Castleconnell is the main street. It always looks nice.
    It always seems like a nice place to spend a summer evening, sitting outside the pub sipping on a pint of bulmers. :p

OK I have to be completely honest here. I was checking out the scenic route to shannon earlier in the week for a flight I needed to take tonight. I hadn't taken it before...

Seemed easy on the map, but I made a balls of it and got to the airport a bit later than expected (made the flight though!!).

Road was shite too (as far as sixmilebridge).

Do people in Clare think its hilarious to switch signposts the wrong way?

Just FYI. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭simon333

Ya, I was told yesterday about the bad state of the road to the Bridge, so that route is kind of out of the equation now.

There's a couple of things I'm not sure about for Castleconnell. The right turn onto the current main Dublin road, seems like you could be waiting to turn for quite a while in the mornings? Also, someone hinted to me that Castleconnell has its fair share of, how do I say it, dodgy people (no insult to you Mr E!). Are there any major social problems? To give context, I've been living in Castletroy for a few years.

No offense taken :)

I've had no problem in Castleconnell with dodgy people (I haven't been looking though... I don't know what you mean by dodgy people?!?)

Dublin Road is no problem. I just turn left to go to petrol station in Daly's Cross and turn around (adds 45 seconds to your journey). Thats if the road is very busy - you can very easily turn right if you get a gap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

Living in Castlerock, Castleconnell also & finding it a good location and very quiet.

We have been here for six months. Its not too hard to get onto the dublin road, as traffic is very slow on the road in the morning anyway!

The new road should be ready within a year.

Theres dodgy folk everywhere. Havent had any problems and nothing that i'd be worried about here.

Its been all good so far!

Howdy neighbour :)
    What part of Castlerock are you in?

Hey, Mr E, a follow-up question for you!

If you're not at home when a postal package comes for you, can you pick it up at Castleconnell post office, or do you have to go into town?

Castleconnell PO, Simon. I've picked up a few packages there in the last few years.

Sound, thanks.

I'm asking because I'm in Castletroy right now, and you have to go to the fecking Dock Road to collect packages :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 FixYa

Hi Guys,
    Is this post still live?
    I am looking to buy a house as well in Castlerock (Castleconnell) and wondering if there are schools and cresche and how good are they.
    Is this area good for family? Is there many empty or unfinished houses that may result in a scene of anti-social behaviour?
    I did like the area as such as it looks like nice and quiet.

Not sure about creches, but there is a national school (primary) in the village.

No real anti-social behaviour in unfinished houses (bar the odd occasional kids messing about). The people living near the unfinished houses have no problem scaring them away. It's not a big issue. There aren't too many unfinished houses to be honest. Drive down the back the next time you're there and you can see for yourself.

The estate itself is very family friendly - lots of kids around, and several green areas for them to play. There are speed ramps too, which is great for peace of mind (especially where kids are involved).

I've been there for over 6 years, and I'm on the residents committee, so feel free to ask anything (here or by PM).

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

simon333 wrote: »
    Ya, I was told yesterday about the bad state of the road to the Bridge, so that route is kind of out of the equation now.

There's a couple of things I'm not sure about for Castleconnell. The right turn onto the current main Dublin road, seems like you could be waiting to turn for quite a while in the mornings? Also, someone hinted to me that Castleconnell has its fair share of, how do I say it, dodgy people (no insult to you Mr E!). Are there any major social problems? To give context, I've been living in Castletroy for a few years.

I agree about the dodgy people.I went to school with lots of people from Castleconnell and there were loads of scobes down there with the same accent and look as you would find in the city. Pity really as there's more than enough of them inside in the city. However it is a nice scenic village with the river etc. Easy access to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Holy zombie thread from 4 years ago!

Castleconnell is still Castleconnell. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Can some one name a town the size of castleconnell, within 20k, heck even 30k of limerick that doesent have scobes???............to single out or knock c'connell for this offence i think would be unfair and shortsighted:rolleyes: to say the least.....

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭conor05

Can some one name a town the size of castleconnell, within 20k, heck even 30k of limerick that doesent have scobes???............to single out or knock c'connell for this offence i think would be unfair and shortsighted:rolleyes: to say the least.....

Never really come across any scobes in Adare.

Very nice area to live in but expensive.

Decent hurling team too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

conor05 wrote: »

Decent hurling team too.
    Killaloe probably qualifies for the above criteria too. Not sure about the hurling team though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Decent hurling team too.

Took 6 years to come up with that one???

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Derbhoy

Decent hurling team too.

Stay out of Scandalous Park and St Patrick's Villas !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Castleconnell will become very popular if and when the proposed cycle way to the city is completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

zulutango wrote: »
    Castleconnell will become very popular if and when the proposed cycle way to the city is completed.

I just Googled this do you think it will happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I just Googled this do you think it will happen?

I've no idea. I hope it does though. It would be a huge boon to the city and Castleconnell. The route along the Shannon is particularly beautiful and I'd say it would be an overnight success with tourists going by the success of the Mayo and Waterford greenways.

Advertisement