Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] Source code?

Options
  • 15-04-2008 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭

Seems to be getting a lot of attention. The EVE source code was leaked onto a certain unmentionable site. Article here. CCP appear to be banning people who download the code via logging the ips. Very strange altogether.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

My advice to people on this would not to let your curiosity get the better of you. Don't even search for the file on TPB.

Now from what i've heard and read so far it appears the guy uncovered the source for the client, thus most of the stuff in the game is done server side so it gave no real power to this player. A lot of people believe this is Kugustman (sp?) but i'm not seeing any proof for this theory. Anyway, best to stay away from the file. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

apperently ccp are hosting the torrents for the source code so they can ban anyone that touchs it somewhat clever plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Savage Munky

Why the hell are they banning ip's if the source code is so inconsequential?

Bizmark sux tbh. At eve. (staying on topic)

The whole source code thing is very :apples: tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Why the hell are they banning ip's if the source code is so inconsequential?

Bizmark sux tbh. At eve. (staying on topic)

The whole source code thing is very :apples: tbh...

I think them hosting it on torrent and banning the peoples that d/l is entrapment Apples, like in that film with Sean Connery and yer one with the slity eyes. What say j00?

Yesh, it could bee...

Man if Cat Z is at the other end of that download, I'd be ridin that torrent all the way to her informationsuperhighway! :D

But srsly. Why whip out the banhammer when its no big deal? :confused:

• Advertisement

CCP just seem to ban people when the **** hits the fan. Even some indie site said that too, it's kinda their rep.

Or maybe it is a big deal and CCP ain't sayin' and are pretending it ain't no thang :itsamystery:

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaahooters

from what ive found out, the dude decompiled his eve client, messed around a bit ad found out he can control his own pc through eve, and others once the have ftp setup, and as this is a violation to the eula he got baned, then other ppl started doin it, and as its a violation of the eula they got baned too.

Ah what do indie sites know n'anyways. I betcha that article went something like "LoL Drama!". The end.

Sounds odd to me though. Banning accounts is one thing (effective enough), banning by ip is another (not so effective). I'd say most people playing eve don't have fixed internet ip addresses, so banning their ip's isn't necessarily going to achieve anything. Anyone worth their salt who's interested in meddling with the source code isn't going to be hindered by a simple ip -> account ban. I doubt they'd even get caught that way in the first place.

The source of banhammer accusations can only be the Eve-O forums... A greater hive of scum and villainy, you will not find. It makes Boreds.ie look humane, happy-go-lucky and quite gay (in a not ******-like-bizmark's-enterprise way).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Well here is the problem with all games, that little part when you install a game that asks do you agree with the terms and conditions and EULA etc, when you tick agree your throwing away any real right to the code/game you ever had. They can ban you on a whim if they want, and its all legal. :pac:

CCP wrote:
    We are aware that an individual claims to have access to the source code of the EVE client, but this access is not a security risk to CCP or our customers in any way. The Python scripting language that is used by the client can be easily decompiled to generate readable code, and we have designed our server-side systems with that understanding. Therefore, there is no reason to believe that the code was leaked by an employee and our internal investigations confirm that.

Access to the source code for the EVE client exposes no security vulnerabilities, has no privacy protection issues, and poses no threat to our customers billing information. The server-side interface used by the client is carefully protected to ensure that no abusive or unwanted information is transmitted to or from the EVE system.

Nothing the EVE client can do can affect the game state, a manipulated EVE client cannot affect the server, no advantageous or disadvantageous information can be transmitted to other EVE users by altering the EVE client. The EVE client is signed with a security certificate registered to CCP. Hashes are available on our web site for those who wish to ensure the integrity of EVE client download files they may have received from a source other than direct download from CCP’s web site.

Finally, there have been no mass bannings, as reported in some news articles, though we do remove all message board posts regarding violations of our EULA and Terms of Service as per standard policy and procedures. We consider any alterations of the client software, including decompilation, or discussions thereof, to represent such a violation.!

v0v

• Advertisement

A very good point R0ot.

I think CCP like to play the PR fiddle more than most though, and wielding the Banhammer is bad for PR - except when its clearly necessary. I suppose banning those people who are downloading the source code torrent seems pretty reasonable, but banning by logging the ip's that downloaded the torrent, to eve accounts that run the game seems like a very hit and miss way of doing it.

Why not just ban accounts using modified clients as they crop up? That seems like a much simpler way of doing things and is much more effective to boot.

If kaahooters is right, then they did that with the original offender, and they will no doubt keep doing that to any other modified clients. But the torrent thing just seems like a big scare tactic to stop people (lawd! the chancers!) from tryin it.

I also have to wonder how this hasn't happened before now, if the client source code is so easily de-compile-able?

CCP almost definitely isn't telling us everything - nothing new there - just more PR to reassure the masses. :D But its so cliché at this point that anyone who doesn't have an iota of concern about it is an awful fuppet altogether!

So to recap on a grand boring post:
    Source Code:
    Should you be bothered? A bit, yea.
    Should you be Bizmark-Stylee The-Sky-is-going-to-fall-on-our-Heads with added perma-worrylines-indented-in-your-head worrying? Meh, no. :D

how did that ****tard get an account?

Sir please get off the internets and go back to your doom thank you.

Moar epic fail from Captain Retard :rolleyes:

kthxbai!

Why must you be mean to me? :(

Advertisement