Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

zipper prob

Options
  • 15-04-2008 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum but….

Does anyone know how to replace a zipper on a jacket/top that is broken. I bought a top recently and the metal part of it used to pull it down/up has broken off.
    I’m just wondering if there is a way to remove the rest of the zipper and put a new one on?..... or do I have to go to a tailor?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

jobless wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right forum but….

Does anyone know how to replace a zipper on a jacket/top that is broken. I bought a top recently and the metal part of it used to pull it down/up has broken off.
    I’m just wondering if there is a way to remove the rest of the zipper and put a new one on?..... or do I have to go to a tailor?

Depends on the zipper. If you want a quick fix get a little bit of fabric and thread it through the hole in the zipper carriage (bit that goes up and down) then sew it up. You could also go into your local hickeys and ask them and see what they tell you.

Putting in a zip can be tricky, especially if you have to rip a lot of stitches to get it out. If all else fails I think it costs around €20 to get a zip replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

12.50 I paid last week

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Replacing a zip can be tricky, depending on the garment.

If the handle of the zip has broken off, why not try threading something (piece of fabric, piece of wire) through the hole and using that to help close the zip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭hairymolly

dudara wrote: »
    Replacing a zip can be tricky, depending on the garment.

If the handle of the zip has broken off, why not try threading something (piece of fabric, piece of wire) through the hole and using that to help close the zip.

If you can get a key ring thin or large enough to fit, it should do the trick and save you money. Also if a metal zip sticks/jams keep rolling the lead of a pencil up and down the zip, it will do the trick, especially clothes that have been dry cleaned, for some reason some zips jam up after the cleaning.

Advertisement