Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portarlington Road speed limit

Options
  • 15-04-2008 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

From Tullamore to Portarlington:

Why is the max speed limit on this very good road only 80km/hour? I'm not advocating excessive use of speed but imho the majority of the road that is presently 80km/hour could be safely driven at 100km/hour.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,077 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

completely agree.......

compare that road to the port - portlaoise road that is 100 km/hr...

doesnt make sense.....

a result of a stupid law that allows local authorities set their own speed limits. The only bad stretch of that road is a little bit between cloneygown and geashill, all the rest is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Kildare is the very same. There is no road in Kildare that I can think of apart from the Naas road that is over 50mph, yet a lot of roads could very easily be 60mph. The main Naas - Newbridge road is to all intensive purposes a two lane dual carraigeway and it is only 50mph. Its pathetic. They think by lowering the speed limit its going to make people drive slower. Its not. All it means is that they are going to generate more revenue from speeding fines on roads that are well below the speed limit they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I think the limit is derived from the new mph to kmh laws set this time last year (last year?), and with it, all N-roads having a 100kph limit, and all R-roads having an 80kph limit. Local authorities can apply special limits in certain circumstances, but I *think* must be applied for via the NRA.

I never adhere to the 80kph limit, as it was mentioned shortly after when that law came out (making frontpage news on the Tullamore Tribune) that Gardai were looking for the limit o be increased, citing that it is useless and uneconomical to patrol the best road out of Tullamore with the slowest national limit and enforce the lower limit.

I myself have been 'gunned' by cop radar a few times, whilst doing 60-65 on that stretch, and I didn't even bat an eyelid. I think they are only concerned with the 'real' speedsters.

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

its crazy having such a low speed limit on that road! look at the daingean road in tullamore(cappincur road) and that is 80kph i think, and its all bumps and bends! not a good straight patch on it!

It would make sense to reduce the speed limit on that road, and increase it on the portarlington road!

60 kph on the portlaoise road, and that is never adhered to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Seanie M wrote: »
    I myself have been 'gunned' by cop radar a few times, whilst doing 60-65 on that stretch, and I didn't even bat an eyelid. I think they are only concerned with the 'real' speedsters.

Seanie.

60 - 65 would not be exceeding the speed limit. If your clock said 65kph then you were probably only going 58kph or just slightly above 60kph.

Unless you are talking in miles per hour?

Anyway, it its annoying. I hate more so where the old N roads like the N4/N6 that now have motorways etc have had their 100kph speed reduced to 80kph! For the most part, these are wide roads with wide hard shoulders. safe for years to be 100kph and then on a technicality they are reduced to 80kph and its not for safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Saruman wrote: »
    60 - 65 would not be exceeding the speed limit. If your clock said 65kph then you were probably only going 58kph or just slightly above 60kph.

Unless you are talking in miles per hour?

Aye, mph, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

port wrote: »
    From Tullamore to Portarlington:

Why is the max speed limit on this very good road only 80km/hour? I'm not advocating excessive use of speed but imho the majority of the road that is presently 80km/hour could be safely driven at 100km/hour.

and do ye realise how many serious accidents are on this road?? frikkin loads, people sppeding & overtaking, one lady & child died on this stretch not too long ago.

if the speed limit was brought in line other straight stretches of roads around the country then maybe people wouldn't speed...or speed as much! god i could rant away bout speeding here and that...but will we leeave that for another day?!?;P

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

I'm not advocating excessive speed but i think it would possibly be a safer road if the 80 km/hr route were in actual fact 100 km/hr,imo majority of traffic would be content to travel up to 100km/hr on a good safe road with the exception of where it may not be safer e.g turn offs after a bend,which could be highlighted better so as to forewarn traffic that a vehicle may be stopped waiting to turn.
    Again I'm not advocating speed but I think aforementioned would let traffic move swiftly and safely with less overtaking necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

sydthebeat wrote: »
    completely agree.......

compare that road to the port - portlaoise road that is 100 km/hr...

doesnt make sense.....

a result of a stupid law that allows local authorities set their own speed limits. The only bad stretch of that road is a little bit between cloneygown and geashill, all the rest is perfect.
    Thats roads only been changed recently,used to be a great spot for the guards catchin people....those w*nkers!!!

• Advertisement

port wrote: »
    I'm not advocating excessive speed but i think it would possibly be a safer road if the 80 km/hr route were in actual fact 100 km/hr,imo majority of traffic would be content to travel up to 100km/hr on a good safe road with the exception of where it may not be safer e.g turn offs after a bend,which could be highlighted better so as to forewarn traffic that a vehicle may be stopped waiting to turn.
    Again I'm not advocating speed but I think aforementioned would let traffic move swiftly and safely with less overtaking necessary.

so you haven't noticed that even though it is 80 km most people are going faster anyway? To be honest i'm fed up of irish drivers, constantly speeding, paying no attention to the road - trying to bully other drivers into speeding & overtaking on corners... i see it all the time on my way home from work - and im so tired of it - people if you wanna kill yerselves on the road grand! But leave me out of it! If its 80, there is a reason.
    Solid white lines, regardless of how wide and inviting the road is all the way around the cormer means dont overtake - ! sooooooooo many bad drivers.Its awful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 pnd82

I never drive at 80kmh on that road and i never will generally keep it around 100kmh.
    Accident that claimed life of a woman and her child was nothing to do with speeding

pnd82 wrote: »
    Accident that claimed life of a woman and her child was nothing to do with speeding

thats right, it was human error wasn't it?

I never drive at 80kmh on that road and i never will generally keep it around 100kmh.
    clearly one of those bad drivers i was talking about. Leave for work earlier. Coz if you do get into an accident i dont want me or my family dying - as we dont speed and are generally relaxed drivers, why should anybody else be in an accident just coz you act like a twat on the road?
    Maybe when you have enough speeding points clocked up you can explain to a judge why you know better than everybody else -

well, i hate to even say anything about this poor lady & child, but had they been travelling at 60 rather than 100, perhaps their fate would have been differant.

Even Trying to make excuses for your self is incredible.
    Leave early enough to gt where you are going on time - with time to spare even or accept that you are late and just get there without killing us good, educated drivers..

Whats the saying...."better to be late than to be DEAD on time!"

Advertisement