Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should hockey (field) umpires be paid?

Options
  • 14-04-2008 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Okay, I know I might be opening a can of worms but in my opinion they should be paid for umpiring matches, what other match officials go out week after week in all kinds of weather at their own expense to what seems to me to be a growing amount of abuse, backtalking and indiscipline by players.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Interzone

And who exactly would pay them?

Umpiring should be enjoyable and done on a volunteer basis. If they receive back talk they would deal with it easily if they were a decent umpire - a quick warning to the captain.

We should of course be thankful to these guys though for what they do, without them there would be no game.

Umpires at the top level do get expenses paid though - know of a fella who's been to many places in the world for free to umpire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Interzone wrote: »
    And who exactly would pay them?

I think umpires are paid in GAA and rugby. It's a nominal fee, collect €5 each off the home team or something...
    If they receive back talk they would deal with it easily if they were a decent umpire - a quick warning to the captain.

I think umpires get a lot of abuse not matter how much is said to the captain. I've played in games where goalies have had tantrums (throwing off of gear etc) and ones where the abuse to the umpire is after the game where no warning to the captain will do a thing. I remember on a couple of occassions about 6 people from a team approaching the umpire after the game to rant at her. Crazy stuff!

We wouldn't have the game without umpires, we must remember that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Awesomo-4000

At my club (galway), we pay the umpires €10 per game. I agree with tywy, they do get a lot of abuse and maybe thats the reason why clubs are finding it difficult to get umpires. Twice this season we had to get one of our players to not play and umpire instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

In an ideal world maybe, but think of how many matches happen each weekend?! In the Leinster ladies leagues there are approximately 70 matches played every Saturday. Where would the money come from to pay the umpires?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Lisapeep wrote: »
    In an ideal world maybe, but think of how many matches happen each weekend?! In the Leinster ladies leagues there are approximately 70 matches played every Saturday. Where would the money come from to pay the umpires?!
    From the players, of course, as an earlier poster mentioned, the players could be asked for a contribution. It happens in junior soccer, GAA etc. why not hockey?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 joker55

They should be paid of course. It should be somewhere around €20-€25 euro per game and each player should contribute €2 a man to have a decent umpire, its how they often do it in Australia.

It would be some compensation for the abuse they get...anyone see the club champs last weekend in Garvey...the bitching was unbelievable...and all teams were at it. There is no way a volunteer should be subject to that sort of abuse. As a player I would happily pay €2 for an umpire and as an umpire I would do more games if there was a small incentive.

The other issue is the ignorance of players towards the rules...calling for aerials thinking they have the right the take the ball, assuming every foot is a free etc.

Maybe we should do what they do in Holland - every 16 year old who plays the game must do the foundation umpire's course? Could this be a solution?

Advertisement