Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Off?

Options
  • 14-04-2008 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Sorry if wrong section,

Well i wanna get a nice setup for my room, its awful at the moment.

I am looking for HD Lcd around 22-26" is there FULL HD options available in this size??

I will be using it with a pc with media player and 1TB of hard drive, and i will be getting a ps3 in the next month

So would anyone be able to reccomend a Tv, and what other cables would i need :confused:

Kind Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Full HD isn't available at that size. The general concencus is that there isn't a noticeable difference between full hd and hd ready on anything less that ~37 - 40".

You'd probably be better off going for a 32" if the room could take it. There'll be more selection and probably better models too. There shouldn't be a huge difference in price between a 26 and a 32... I'm not sure what to recommend you to buy. It's been a while since I looked at TV's of that size. The panasonic and sony's seem to get pretty good feedback tho. I'm sure someone else will help you out with that end of things.

Cablewise... A HDMI cable for your PS3 to avail of HD and also one for your PC. Do you have a HDMI or a DVI port on your graphics card? HDMI cable for the PS3 is about 30 bob and probably a bit less for the PC cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭billstraighten

Thanks for the reply,
    Hmm i'll get the measuring tape out to see if a 32" will fit nicely,

My pc only has S3 Graphics Unichrome Pro IGP whatever that is :confused:

It does however say it has DVB-T Analogue Tv :o

so if my pc doesnt have a HD graphics card, i assume i can just plug it in using s-video or A VGA cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

I see!

Does your graphics card have TV out? It'd probably be a black circular connector like this - http://images.planetamd64.com/picsfother2/Aopen%20Aeolus%206800GT%20(AGP)/Aeolos256ports.JPG or a DVI one like the white connection? Without the black one you won't be able to connect by s-video. Vga (the blue one) -> LCD TV might be an option. Not ideal tho, and not all TVs support it, still not HD capable. You could always buy a new graphics card and pop it in. Is your computer AGP or PCI-Express?

A new graphics card like this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=345393 will give you a HDMI port for your computer. Simply buy a cable and you have a HD connection between your computer and TV. This is important for playing HD rips etc... That's probably the best option if your computer only has a VGA port.

Hope this makes sense :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Full HD isn't available at that size.

Actually it is , 1920 x 1200 , in the apple cinema displays , which work fine with a PC and come with DVI inputs , also Dell Ultrasharps , again the same resolution and more versatile than the apple in the range of inputs.

Both of these come with 1 : 1 pixel mapping and are excellent small cinema displays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

To the OP , an S3 is not good enough to be feeding any kind of HD display , and while VGA is perfectly alright on a good card for connecting to a HDTV if the HDTV has a VGA input , it is analog and is not the best way to connect.

Forget about S-video on any kind of flatscreen , it looks absolutely brutal and you will not be able to make out small text on the screen.

Ideally you want a card with DVI or HDMI , the likes of an nvidia 8500 or 8600 , or an ati 2400 or 2600 can be had very cheap ( less than 100 , sometimes even as low as 50 ) and will do the job perfectly.

DVI and HDMI are pin for pin compatible and all thats needed is a DVI - HDMI cable , about 16 euro.

• Advertisement
Advertisement