Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with switching over to O2... help!!!

Options
  • 14-04-2008 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

This morning, I switched from Vodafone to O2.

I kept my number (vodafone) and registered the number with O2.

however, the handset I have been using is the Vodafone 810.

To my stupidity, I forgot about the changeover in settings.

Yip... its a huge problem, as the phone is Vodafone :( .. I now cant send any SMS &MMS, or even surf the web. EEeeeeK!!

I dont have a clue about changing the settings on this handset,(only time I ever did it was on a sharp GX-10... yip.. long time ago),

I've googled and googled.. I cant afford to purchase a new phone just yet, so Im hoping that someone here might have had a similar experience and share their knowledge with me..... please.

the O2 web doesnt (obviously) have the phone listed under the settings change tutorial.

Anyone..... (tumbleweed rools by!)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op relax!

First off you'll need the change service centre number, this will be in Messages->Settings or something similar.
    Vodafones is +35387699989 (from memory!)
    )2's should be +35386 (you can get this from 02.ie somewhere)

Next get the o2 settings for a standard Nokia and go through your phone.
    The menu may differ slightly but its not that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭trendkill

Entered the center number,

texts are working now so thanks, but unfortunately MMS isnt, trying to find the

MMS Center http:// ????????

and then the

WAP Gateway

After this, have to enter :

And set up the Network access point ??? :
    Access Point name .......
    PHONE IP ADDRESS
    Primary DNS:
    Secondary DNS:
    Authentication:
    username:
    password:

gonna have my work cut out

Okay, i went to this link

http://www.o2online.ie/Utilities/settings/default.do?wcmArea=/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Personal/Services/Messaging/Picture+messaging/Settings/

And I put my number in the number field, and selected the Motorola Razr for O2 to send the settings (as the 810 OS is done by the same crowd that do Motorolas).

the Message arrived to my phone, it asked me for a pin (not my Sim Pin, so i managed to get 1234 to work, it installed the settings automatically onto the phone, so MMS works perfectly now.

havent managed to get the internet to work, but hey,m I can live with that,

Cheers for the help.

*edit: .. on the same link you can send the GPRS settings to your phone to install automatically also, Internet working now, excellent.

Sorry for being of trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

O2 customer care would have walked you through all this if you had called them

Yeah your right bout that one, but men dont usually ask for directions lol....

but i just didnt want to be asking since its a Vodafone phone, I would have probably been told to buy a new one thats listed in the O2 phone settings list.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op did you get it working?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

trendkill wrote: »
    Yeah your right bout that one, but men dont usually ask for directions lol....

but i just didnt want to be asking since its a Vodafone phone, I would have probably been told to buy a new one thats listed in the O2 phone settings list.

Nah, they would love you all the more for coming from VFE

Thanks for the feedback guys, Just one question.

i know it shouldnt be going here, but the topic on the iphone is like 200 pages long and dont have time to check it right now (sorry guys)....

But the reason I switched to o2 was because I was planning on picking up an Iphone in a couple of weeks, however, I think Im gonna pick one up tomorrow....

the million dollar question, If i can get the iphone form an o2 shop without contract....... will an o2 speakeasy sim work with it??.... (without having to do various hacks etc..i.e will it work straight out of the box)

Was gonna get a contract o2.. but decided, Id hope the speakeasy sim would work straight out of the box as I have free texts. ?

Once again, apologies for asking the question here

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

trendkill wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback guys, Just one question.

i know it shouldnt be going here, but the topic on the iphone is like 200 pages long and dont have time to check it right now (sorry guys)....

But the reason I switched to o2 was because I was planning on picking up an Iphone in a couple of weeks, however, I think Im gonna pick one up tomorrow....

the million dollar question, If i can get the iphone form an o2 shop without contract....... will an o2 speakeasy sim work with it??.... (without having to do various hacks etc..i.e will it work straight out of the box)

Was gonna get a contract o2.. but decided, Id hope the speakeasy sim would work straight out of the box as I have free texts. ?

Once again, apologies for asking the question here

a speakeasy sim will work in a contract phone. it's locked to the network, not the type of user account. but what makes you think you can buy the iphone without a contract? afaik they only do it with a (really crap) contract

I can get the phone from a shop in cork, since I just switched to 02 speakeasy, I was just curious if it would work, or would it only work on the O2 pay monthly

So it will work with the pay as you go o2 sim straight out of the box

I wouldnt be using the gprs internet, as I've got the WEP access codes for all the eircom wi-fi spots in all my locals etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    a speakeasy sim will work in a contact phone. it's locked to the network, not the type of user account. but what makes you think you can buy the iphone without a contract? afaik they only do it with a (really crap) contract

dead right, iPhone only available with a contract. O2 would probably be in breach of their contract with Apple by selling them cntract free.

Also while a Speakeasy SIM will work, it will only work if the iPhone is unlocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Also while a Speakeasy SIM will work, it will only work if the iPhone is unlocked.

Not correct
    See the post above
    If its locked to O2, its locked to O2........ NOT O2 bill pay
    The lock is a network lock, not a service lock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

whisht wrote: »
    Not correct
    See the post above
    If its locked to O2, its locked to O2........ NOT O2 bill pay
    The lock is a network lock, not a service lock

I beg to differ. The iPhone is unique in that it is SIM locked not just network locked. I have tried it.

EDIT:

Just to be sure I tried it again there with 3 different O2 SIMs. It is DEFINITELY SIM locked if you buy from O2. Of course you can still unlock it then use Speakeasy SIM

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I beg to differ. The iPhone is unique in that it is SIM locked not just network locked. I have tried it.

EDIT:

Just to be sure I tried it again there with 3 different O2 SIMs. It is DEFINITELY SIM locked if you buy from O2. Of course you can still unlock it then use Speakeasy SIM

that would indeed be unique. what exactly do you mean? do you mean it will only accept that specific sim and no other, not even another o2 contract sim?

there are some phones can activate that as a security feature but i've never seen a phone that enforced it. what if the customer needed a replacement sim?

what happens when you put a speakeasy sim in?

Advertisement