Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing your own?

Options
  • 14-04-2008 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

So who else is growing their own veg?

We (Mrs r3nu4l and myself) were moderately successful last year considering we hadn't really time to plan out the plots but this year is different.

So far we've planted, tomatoes, peas, corn, beetroot and red onions in seed trays.
    We have potatoes ready to go down as well, I spent last weekend preparing the plots and doing some other much needed garden work.

What about you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I gave the ol' veggy growing a bash for the first time last year. I planted radishes, carrots, rocket, peas & pumpkins. The radishes & rocket were a resounding success. The peas were OK. The soil turned out to be too heavy for carrots & pumpkins.

Lack of time & the pitiful weather meant that my patch ended up overgrown over the winter. I'm going to try building a raised bed this year with & see how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

In the community garden that I do some volunteer work for I have spuds, peas, onions, garlic and rhubarb planted. In the greenhouse I have basil, cauliflowers, cabbage, leeks, tomatoes, peppers, chillis, mini sweetcorn, rocket and mustard in and going so far. Now running out of space in the greenhouse. I have just bought two mini heaters for it today. So will give them a run tonight to see how they fare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Last year I had great success with broccolli, so this year I am trying broccolli, carrots, onions and rocket. The rocket is off to a flier - no sign of the rest yet though. Oh, and peas, they're just showing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I've got shallots, spring onions, rocket and lettuce planted outside in two raised beds (lots more planned). I built a small poly-shed a while back and in there I have a few seed trays with various herbs, lettuce, radish, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, turnips, mange tout, french beans and some other stuff I can't remember off-hand on the way. Two tomato plants got burnt by the frost a week ago so I have relocated them inside my garage on the window sill until the temperatures pick up. Some pepper and chili seeds planted and put in a warm spot to see what happens.

Going to give it a real go this year, as they say, variety is the spice of life!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I have just bought two mini heaters for it today. So will give them a run tonight to see how they fare.

Ever thought about building a heatsink in the greenhouse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I've actually never thought about heating (or cooling) the greenhouse. Last year, we did very well without it so I'll probably leave it the same this year. :)

Well, in total this is our plan for the year:
    Planted from seed:
    Tomatoes,
    Peas,
    Corn,
    Beetroot
    Red onions

To plant:
    Potatoes (from seed potatoes)
    Raspberries (from pre-grown bush)
    Chilli peppers (from pre-grown bush)

Recurring:
    Rhubarb
    Blueberries

We also have a window box that we plant herbs in, last year we planted coriander, chives, and parsley. we'll try a few more this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Minder wrote: »
    Ever thought about building a heatsink in the greenhouse?

Wow thats pretty damn cool. Dont think I could do it now as my green house is in place, but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

r3nu4l wrote: »
    So who else is growing their own veg?

We (Mrs r3nu4l and myself) were moderately successful last year considering we hadn't really time to plan out the plots but this year is different.

So far we've planted, tomatoes, peas, corn, beetroot and red onions in seed trays.
    We have potatoes ready to go down as well, I spent last weekend preparing the plots and doing some other much needed garden work.

What about you?

Sown in Polytunnel (in pots or cells) for planting outside later:
    10 March: Lettuce (6 varieties)
    12 March: Peas
    13 March :Cabbage, Kale, Kohl Rabi, Broccoli
    25 March: Beetroot, Turnip, Pak Choi, Spinach
    2 April: Parsley (2 varieties)
    12 April: Rocket
    14 April: Leeks
    In coming week or so: cucumber, courgettes and second or third sowings of most of above.

Sown inside (in hot press) for transplanting to Polytunnel later:
    9 March: Tomatoes, Aubergines, Peppers, Chillies

Sown or Planted Outside:
    11 March: Onions, shallots (from sets)
    12 March: Broad Beans
    13 March: Carrots
    17 March: Spring onions, radishes
    25 March: Potatoes.
    Remainder of April: Parsnips, more carrots, broad beans, spring onions and radishes.
    Early May: French beans, runner beans, borlotti beans, pumpkins
    Summer: successional sowings of most of above.

Still harvesting from sowings outside last year: carrots, parsnips, leeks, perpetual spinach, Swiss chard, parsley, spring onions, lettuce.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Planted on the windowsill - parsley, runner beans, courgettes, tomatoes (beefsteak and plum), basil (growing lovely), lettuce (which I've planted out under jamjars), some flowers. Chillis.

Planted outside - salad mix (several varieties), radishes, rocket, onion sets, garlic (rose), lots of herbs, watercress, Swiss chard, comfrey, rhubarb, and globe artichokes which have overwintered and look amazing.

Still to go - purple sprouting broccoli, French beans, more salad, more rocket, more radishes.

The new mini glasshouse is to be set up this weekend.

We manured heavily last year so I won't be doing any root vegetables this year. It's a small garden so I'm experimenting with interplanting - so far I have flower seeds between the oinion sets. Any other ideas?

Advertisement