Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer and Video Games Magazine

Options
  • 14-04-2008 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭

If there's anyone who hasn't thrown out their CVG magazines from about 1995-1996, and would like to give them a new home, you might let me know here. I'd appreciate it. I'd post this in the Wanted Adverts but I doubt the right people would see it there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

I started collecting C&VG around early 96, id love to help you out but I wanna hang on to 'em, along with lots of other mags I keep.

Was brilliant back in the day, got a bit s****y towards the end of its life but the days of Tom Guise, Paul Davies, Ed Lomas etc. were great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Yes, I can understand you keeping them. It was a good magazine for a few years there, but quite bad before and after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Started in 1981 I believe and ran until the people who own Gamesmaster took over.

There was a 5 year period there in the mid 90's where I would never miss an issue, best magazine around at the time.

Think im gonna get my boxes of old mags back out for a look over again one of the days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

You can buy a DVD of the scans online if you have a root (won't tell you where).

I bought the Zzap64 set and I was very happy with the result.

Thanks. I might do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I think I still have issue 2 lying about somewhere.

It came with a free gift to help you find your place on screen when typing in the code from the magazine into your Vic-20.... it was a bit naff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Used to love this back in the early 90s
    Their Super Metroid review was the only one of it that I read at the time, and was what taught me to base someone's opinion of a game on the review text, rather than just the score...

What was the name of the agony aunt type section? Ask Yob or something like that:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I used to get them back in the 80's, I had, at one stage, a nearly complete collection from 85 up to 90 or so, I remeber the cool comic they used to run, with a massive droid called "Big Red", that seemed to accidentally crush orphanages, a lot!
    But, somehow, I always drifted back to Crash again and again, especially after C&VG had that dreadful revamp, they never seemed to be a force for good those things.

The period about 1991 - 1993 was the worst I know of. Bad covers, huge pages on bad paper, bad design, bad writing, and a "pull out" handheld magazine called Go, with some of the worst screenshots ever. Quite a thin magazine pverall too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

By which time I think I was reading a nice mag called Megatech that did an excellent preview of an amazing system called the MEGACD!!!
    It's fun to look back at some of these old mags to see what was red hot back in the day, when the new RARE game was something to look forward to rather than something to fear, when games came on carts and nothing was more amazing, and now more laughable, than to see the magazines writers figure out what the new console from Nintendo/Sony, codenamed Playstation, was going to look like, virtual goggles and all!
    I tell you, the best set of predictions since Buck Rodgers thought we'd all be dressed in tinfoil!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I started collecting C&VG around early 96, id love to help you out but I wanna hang on to 'em, along with lots of other mags I keep.

Was brilliant back in the day, got a bit s****y towards the end of its life but the days of Tom Guise, Paul Davies, Ed Lomas etc. were great

Yeah I started reading around the end of that era in '98 - twas a quality publication back then. Steadily went downhill though, and I moved over to Arcade in 2000 I think... which died about a year later :(

I've only ever bought Edge since then, but not regularly (too damn expensive!) and not in a good few years (too lazy/internet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Ed Lomas was some legend, CVG were the orginal ISS PRO lovers!

A bump here, if you don't mind, as I'm still looking out for old magazine junk locally. Postage from the UK is becoming impossible. It's gone up, and continues to go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

tman wrote: »
    Used to love this back in the early 90s
    Their Super Metroid review was the only one of it that I read at the time, and was what taught me to base someone's opinion of a game on the review text, rather than just the score...

What was the name of the agony aunt type section? Ask Yob or something like that:p

mean yob, he always insulted the readers. He also featured in Mean Machines Sega, I think. Which was another excellent mag. I think it had the some of the same writers, Tom Guise if I recall correctly. Yar those truly were the days.

I have a ton of old Edge mags my missus is trying to get me to sell on, they number from the 50/60 odd to the present, not sure If I want to sell them though, the old issues still make great reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aburky

I just googled this thread...

A guy at work has been having a clearout and has found issues 1, 2 & 3 of CVG. Anyone know if they worth sticking on fleabay?

Advertisement