Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loud music in neighbouring apartment

Options
  • 14-04-2008 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

:mad:Hi,

Does anyone know what can be done about neighbours who play loud music as crazy hours? I am renting an apartment on the 3 rd Floor of a 7 floor block. On previous weekends, I have heard some base coming up through the floor. Took a walk around the block but could not really figure out where it was coming from.

However, on Saturday night the music was very very loud. Discovered it was the apartment under mine 2 floors down. I knocked on their door at about 1.30am to see if they would be amenable to turning it down & was greeted by some not so friendly Russians who were not interested in turning it down. The apt is across the road from a Garda Station so over I went, only to be told that there was very little that they could do as it is a ‘domestic incident’. The Sergeant took my number & said he would call if anyone became available to visit the apt. I received a call from the Gardai at around 2.30am but at this stage the music had stopped. But…at approx 4.30am the rave started once more. I went back over to the Garda Station & 2 gardai accompanied me back to the apartment block. When they knocked at the door the music was turned up, which annoyed the Garda enough to make him nearly bang the door down. We got the desired result in that after their visit the music was switched off.

What I would like to know is what can be done about noisy neighbours – apart from calling the Gardai as a last resort? Our management agreement states that ‘parties’ & ‘loud music’ are not allowed – but can this be enforced. The rent in the block goes from EUR 900 – EUR 1300 so I would have expected ‘nice’ neighbours. How stupid was I!

All info greatly appreciated,
    Tom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ITGirl33

Hi Tom
    Get on to the Management Company. I had a similar problem and I got onto Wyse who are our managing agents for the company. They said to write a letter giving all details and times. Apparently the complaint has to be in writing in case it goes to court in the future. In the aprtment rules it says no loud noise etc. wyse said that's derived from the lease agreement of the complex which all owners sign when they buy in a complex, so the apartment owners were in breach of agreement.
    They sent a letter to the tenants and the landlord. It seems to have done the trick and Wyse even called me back to say the landlord had spoken to their tenants and they apologized on their behalf.
    if the tenants have more parties I can go to the PRTB. http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/NoisePollution/
    hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 GenericUser

Hello Tom,

I had the same problem myself a few years back. Very loud music and shouting at 2am thru 8am on weeknights. After several irate letters which had little or no effect, I downloaded the noise pollution regulations from the web somewhere. Basically you can take someone to the district court for breaking the noise pollution laws. You dont even need a solicitor for it. You can just send your forms in with a small fee to the district court. Usually it goes to arbitration or some such.
    Anyways, Im not suggesting you go this far.
    Make a note of the times of the music (and if you recognise the artist this helps too), the intensity etc. Then forward a well written letter, along with details of the noise, along with the noise regulations to the neighbour. Explain as nicely as you can the impact of having a district court judgement made against them to their future lives.
    After doing this, my neighbours were as quiet as a mouse.
    This might seem a bit extreme, but after several weeks of sleepless nights or interupted sleep , it was well worth it.
    It seems you are at the end of your tether, having called the gardai and what not, so I'd say give it a go.
    So long as they dont call your bluff, you should be ok!

:mad:Hi,

Does anyone know what can be done about neighbours who play loud music as crazy hours? I am renting an apartment on the 3 rd Floor of a 7 floor block. On previous weekends, I have heard some base coming up through the floor. Took a walk around the block but could not really figure out where it was coming from.

However, on Saturday night the music was very very loud. Discovered it was the apartment under mine 2 floors down. I knocked on their door at about 1.30am to see if they would be amenable to turning it down & was greeted by some not so friendly Russians who were not interested in turning it down. The apt is across the road from a Garda Station so over I went, only to be told that there was very little that they could do as it is a ‘domestic incident’. The Sergeant took my number & said he would call if anyone became available to visit the apt. I received a call from the Gardai at around 2.30am but at this stage the music had stopped. But…at approx 4.30am the rave started once more. I went back over to the Garda Station & 2 gardai accompanied me back to the apartment block. When they knocked at the door the music was turned up, which annoyed the Garda enough to make him nearly bang the door down. We got the desired result in that after their visit the music was switched off.

What I would like to know is what can be done about noisy neighbours – apart from calling the Gardai as a last resort? Our management agreement states that ‘parties’ & ‘loud music’ are not allowed – but can this be enforced. The rent in the block goes from EUR 900 – EUR 1300 so I would have expected ‘nice’ neighbours. How stupid was I!

All info greatly appreciated,
    Tom.

Advertisement