Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfering in the RDF

Options
  • 13-04-2008 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭

I'm gonna do my best to write this without it sounding like a PI,

Basically, I'm feeling slightly disillusioned with my unit in the RDF and I'm wondering if transfering to a different unit is allowed.

I joined the unit filled with enthusiasm and hoping to get a little discipline et al. But I was a bit sad to find it a bit different to what I'd hoped. Essentially my unit consists of people who constantly whine to the sergeant about having to drill as they are so hungover and calling the NCO's by their name and not their rank.They are a lovely bunch of people sure, but if I didn't join the RDF to mess around, I do enough of that outside of it.

I know I took an oath which I'm taking seriously but aside from two other recruits who I joined with, noone in the unit seems to take anything seriously except for the PDF and RDF sergeants and the RDF CQ.

As is evident from my posts on Boards, I am most certainly not someone who takes everything too seriously but the attitudes of my unit are a bit depressing to me.

Does anyone have any advice here? Should I just loosen up and go with the flow or would I be better off transfering, if so how would I break it to the sergeant. He's a good 'un but isn't around that often.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

You are unlikely to find any Unit which is the way you want it (Outside of the PDF) so I say go with the flow.

You havent even been to recruit camp yet and to put in for a transfer now would cause alot of headaches. Wait until after your Recruit Camp then decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

You are unlikely to find any Unit which is the way you want it (Outside of the PDF) so I say go with the flow.

You havent even been to recruit camp yet and to put in for a transfer now would cause alot of headaches. Wait until after your Recruit Camp then decide.

Yeah, I should have put that in.

Obviously I would wait until I was a 3star private before doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

You are in Infantry yes?

Then transfer if you want to the day you go back after the holidays.

Say that you cant make it on the training night because of work/college/something believeable or else you paperwork will get "lost".

Then again you will miss out on some sweet courses that I have heard the Infantry get to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Hey jams

Stay with your unit, if other nco's/pte's in your unit cannot conduct themselves in a military manner thats, the the cs's problem.
    Another way to look at it is the indiscipline/Bs/etc.etc stops with you as a private. The best nco's/officer's lead by example.... 2/3 years down the road you'll have your chance to lead.
    Most Rdf units can be like that but if you think about it your company commander was once like you a recruit who was determined to do the job right. He learned the right way to do the job, he rose up through the ranks to become the "boss".
    You might not think you can make a differance in your unit but you can....but only if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Thanks folks, good advice.

I'm not in the infantry but I'd rather not say which corps I'm in. Give them some privacy and that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

medic's;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Join the 2nd Air Defence we're a great Unit:D

Advertisement