Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing your thesis...

Options
  • 13-04-2008 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

Guys when doing your thesis what sort of angle should you be approaching it from? Comparing one thing against the other?/answering a question?

Lecturer just said its a collection of data thats put into your own words!Ok i get that but should u actually be trying to prove something or just talking about a topic in general? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

What subject area are you in?

Generally, in Arts anyway, it's considered more beneficial to have some kind of argument, that way you can demonstrate you've evaluated sources etc. critically, rather than just rewriting what other people have said. You can just write it as a big story, but (so my supervisor says) you get a better grade with less graft if you have some kind of argument or contention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Timmy_d

Im studying I.T

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Any theses I have marked have involved some form of practical component, i.e. a software development project - does yours? (I lecture in IT, btw)

If, so, the thesis will explain what you did, how you did it and what the results were. This is your "argument".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Timmy_d

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Any theses I have marked have involved some form of practical component, i.e. a software development project - does yours? (I lecture in IT, btw)

If, so, the thesis will explain what you did, how you did it and what the results were. This is your "argument".

Well lecturer said practical side was optional but id say it would be beneficial and would prob learn more...opnet modeler(network simulation software)was mentioned so could possibly do something in that...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Timmy_d wrote: »
    Well lecturer said practical side was optional but id say it would be beneficial and would prob learn more...opnet modeler(network simulation software)was mentioned so could possibly do something in that...

Without question you would learn more by doing a practical element.

If that is the case, then your library will have copies of previous years student's theses - I always make a point of telling my students to go look at these first, to give you an idea of what they entail and the standard required.

Also, your school will have a documented procedure on writing theses that should give the general structure and tips on how to write/reference.

The theses will therefore explain all about the software project, what you did and what your findings were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

as an it student also... our theses are known as final year projects where first we pretty much had to develop something and then write a big ass report on how you did it

Advertisement