Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Barry Hall Incident

Options
  • 13-04-2008 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭

In case anyone hasn't seen it here's Barry Hall laying out Brent Staker in yesterday's Swans/Eagles game -

The absolute scumbag.

A ban is meaningless now seeing as he broke his wrist anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rayobri

Absolutely shocking. I thought he had calmed down a small bit. The guy has no brain whatsoever. He nailed Tadhg Kennelly, his own team mate during the last compromise rules.. kidney shot at the throw in.

A nice holiday and a huge fine is the only way to hurt a guy like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=446581
    Staker's parents angry at Hall's hit

The father of West Coast Eagles star Brent Staker has described Sydney Swans' Barry Hall as "a weak mongrel" for king-hitting his son during an AFL match in Sydney.

Alan Staker, speaking from his Broken Hill home, said he was waiting to see whether the AFL stood by its resolution to deal harshly with players who attacked the heads of their rivals.

Staker was knocked unconscious when he was punched in the jaw in the first quarter of Saturday night's game at ANZ Stadium in Sydney.

Hall has apologised for the incident and says he will accept any punishment coming to him.

Alan Staker, a veteran of 300 games in the far western NSW town, said he would be outraged if Hall was suspended for only "a few" matches.

"I thought it was pretty weak ... if it was a fight fair enough, but not to be king hit when there's nothing in it and you're not expecting it," he told ABC radio in Perth.

"My disappointment is in the AFL ... they spruik about players not being allowed to go anywhere near the head now and penalising them if they do.

"So let's see what they do. He deserves a fair sentence for a fairly weak act."

Asked how he felt about Hall, Staker said: "He's a weak mongrel."

Brent Staker's mother Rosemary said she was not watching the match and felt "sick in the stomach" when a friend told her what had happened.

"Brent remembers absolutely nothing," she said.

"He said from the time he got hit to the time he realised he was on the bench he can't recall a thing.

"The doctors stayed with him all the time and also back at the motel and checked him right through the night.

"They're going to do x-rays in Perth and take it from there."

Rosemary Staker said the AFL must use the incident to set an example and curb on-field violence, as "the parents of hundreds of kids won't want them to play football because of this".

"For someone who's been playing as long as he (Hall) has, and who's supposed to be one of the heroes of the game, he is pretty weak," she said.

"No young lad out there trying to win games for his club or with his teammates deserves this."

Hard to argue with anything they said. Two days later and it still angers me every time I watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

absolute a ss hole Barry Hall. Fair play to Beau Waters at 1/4 time too confronting Hall. Its nearly a shame that he is out injured now as it seems like the suspension is frivolous, hopefully he will get a long time and serve as a case for others.

Breaking News: 7 weeks for Barry Hall

Absolute joke. Just nicely coincides with a healing broken wrist :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Unpleasant incident alright. He seemed to flip out with no provocation.

Twas one hell of a punch. :eek:

Remember seeing him at the mixed rules game in Galway a couple of years ago...scary guy.

• Advertisement

Looks like Bazza is in another spot of trouble after his attempted right hook on Shane Wakelin last night. Wakelin says there was no contact made but the fact that the intent was there will interest the match review panel. Paul Roos wasn't too impressed after the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Apart from being a thug, he must be REALLY stupid. If he'd caught the guy all hell would've broken loose.

Will there be any repurcussions as it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

It looks like the Swans have taken the correct action and suspended Hall indefinitely, not that they had too many options after he was charged by the match review panel anyway.
    That guy seriously needs to wake up, he has a great talent that he's wasting.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/articles/2008/07/07/1215282720416.html

I say keep him banned and locked up like a caged animal then unleash him on the Irish come October! :D

I dunno, I reckon Ciaran Whelan could take him! Maybe the whole thing could be decided with a scrap between the two!

• Advertisement

You could see he was getting pretty frustrated with the way the game was going, but it'd be a real shame if he's going to miss big chunks of the season because he can't hold his temper.
    I'm still not sure about the whole video evidence thing though, in this sport or any other. High profile players, and indeed teams, are under more scrutiny than others & on just about a weekly basis, you'd see similar transgressions going unpunished in "lesser" games.
    I know it goes with the territory & all that, but it IS an uneven playing field.:confused:

big b wrote: »
    you'd see similar transgressions going unpunished in "lesser" games.

Funny you should mention that, didn't a guy get a jail sentence recently for an on-field incident? Think the team he was playing against pressed charges against him. He was giving out as now he'll have a criminal record.

I'll see if I can find a link....

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

I read about that recently too, a guy was given a two month jail sentence for an off-the-ball punch. I think this was the article you were talking about.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23961945-661,00.html

Funny you should mention that, didn't a guy get a jail sentence recently for an on-field incident? Think the team he was playing against pressed charges against him. He was giving out as now he'll have a criminal record.

I'll see if I can find a link....
    Traq wrote: »
    I read about that recently too, a guy was given a two month jail sentence for an off-the-ball punch. I think this was the article you were talking about.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23961945-661,00.html

Well, that blows my case out of the water! I guess cos all the AFL games are televised there's less chance of getting away with stuff. Can't help still thinking the high profile players attract more scrutiny though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 teamstephanie

ok so barry cant play for the rest of the year, but any team would be mad not to want him on their side. he may have anger issues, but he sure can kick a ball, and he's fast.
    i agree maybe a spell away from the game is good for him, but i would be very disappointed if he never played again. i have been to many games sydney games- and i'm not a sydney supporter- and i've met barry, he is a brillant player, and a very pleasent and friendly man.

afl needs tough men, all the new rule changes, have made the players softies, and generally the only time you see biffo or passion for the game is off-the-ball.. go to a game between two old school teams ie-victorian teams- and watch the forwards when the ball is in defence at the other end of the ground, and theres generally some biffo.

barry did go over board, he has been punished, he's injured, he's probalby embarressed, i recken he'll come back next year, in a different team- i'm guessing west coast or freo, and he'll be brillant?

ok so barry cant play for the rest of the year, but any team would be mad not to want him on their side. he may have anger issues, but he sure can kick a ball, and he's fast.
    i agree maybe a spell away from the game is good for him, but i would be very disappointed if he never played again. i have been to many games sydney games- and i'm not a sydney supporter- and i've met barry, he is a brillant player, and a very pleasent and friendly man.

afl needs tough men, all the new rule changes, have made the players softies, and generally the only time you see biffo or passion for the game is off-the-ball.. go to a game between two old school teams ie-victorian teams- and watch the forwards when the ball is in defence at the other end of the ground, and theres generally some biffo.

barry did go over board, he has been punished, he's injured, he's probalby embarressed, i recken he'll come back next year, in a different team- i'm guessing west coast or freo, and he'll be brillant?

You're right, he is an extreemly talented player. But as you said youself, he has serious anger issues. Whatever he's like off the pitch, he is an absolute animal on it.

I disagree with you about loads of teams wanting him too. What use is it have a guy as talented as him, when he's banned half the season? Think of it from the clubs POV. It'd be more disruptive than anything else, having a player coming in and out of the team every few weeks. There may be a few teams willing to give him a chance if he shows serious change...like anger managament therapy or something.

The Hall situation isn't too much different to the Cousins one. They both have a serious issue to deal with and are both in their 30s. How many clubs have said they wouldn't touch Cousins? Quite a few. I expect the same reaction to Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

I dunno, I reckon Ciaran Whelan could take him! Maybe the whole thing could be decided with a scrap between the two!
    You aren't serious?!He'd destroy Whelan with both his hands behind his back.

No, wasn't serious at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

Alright grand thought there was something mentally wrong with you.

• Advertisement

hunter164 wrote: »
    Alright grand thought there was something mentally wrong with you.

Well a lot of people DO think that...and there may be something to it...but thats a seperate issue!

Advertisement