Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I do this?

Options
  • 12-04-2008 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

I've only a single hdmi out on my receiver but need 2 at least. Can I get a hdmi hub with one hdmi in from the receiver and two out to the lcd?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

HDMI switches , which are not cheap by the way , usually come in the form of multiple inputs , and 1 output ,

What exactly do you want to do ? A bit more detail would help. are you trying to run more than one screen of a single receiver ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

I want to have different picture settings for different sources on the TV. One for SKY, one for blu-ray/hddvd.

My setup is Sky/PS3/HDDVD into receiver via HDMI and out via single HDMI to TV (AV5). I was thinking if I could get second HDMI into TV (AV6) I could have different settings on each AV and switch between them depending on the source. I've quite a bit of processing set for SD (SKY) but don't want this applied to HD.

I know component is a way, but then I wondered about the idea of a HDMI switch. Was hoping it might be similar to a LAN switch but many-in/one-out wouldn't work.

The settings on the TV are per input only , you cannot do anything about that , regardless of what switching you are using.

So for instance , on HDMI 1 , the settings on the TV are for whatever signal comes in through that socket , theres no way to change that. A switch will not help you there.
    likewise with all the other inputs.

The same thing goes for the amp , no switch is going to change picture settings , and the output is just one output regardless.

On your receiver though , you may be able to set picture settings for each input , but that will depend entirely on the receiver , for instance I have an Onkyo , and HDMI is just passed through , there is no adjustment possible whatsoever to the HDMI signal , the only inputs that can be adjusted are the analog ones and even that menu is hidden.

To adjust any HDMI picture signal the amp/receiver would have to process the HDMI stream , apply the changes and then re-process to a HDMI stream to pass to the TV , something that would take a major piece of DSP circuitry and seriously compromise the quality , as far as I know there is no system that does that. Most will just pass through the HDMI untainted from the source , just separating out the audio channels for sound.

What model is your receiver by the way ?

It's an Onkyo 805. My thinking was to have three inputs into amp and one out into switch and then two outputs from switch into TV HDMI1 and HDMI2. The set picture settings for each HDMI.

54306.jpg

Then switch inputs depending on which source I'm watching. Looks like it doesn't go both ways though. Many-in/one-out only, would need one with two out.

No , what you want to do there is not possible , not as far as I know anyway , all Switches I have seen are multi in and 1 out.

The onkyo passes all the inputs straight through , so theres no picture setting adjustment available in the amp unless you feed in component.

I have SkyHD myself and find absolutely no difference in picture quality between SD and HD over HDMI , how have you got the box set up ? Try a single set of settings on your TV for both and see what happens , also try taking the box off auto and just set it to 1080i permanently ! There should'nt be any need for radically different settings for SD from Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

you can get a QED distribution amp. or a geffen one.

as most of you know, i work in a tv store. we have 3 of them for our displays. one is QED 1 in 8 out, the other a Geffen 1 in 4 out and then a smaller QED 1 in 4 out.

im sure they make a 1 in 2 out as well.

they arent switches as such... all outputs are active all the time. they would work in your situation though (in theory anyway)

adam

Arnt those about 500 euro ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

I've got a Lindy HDMI Splitter for splitting between PJ and LCD. I have heard reports that this has problems with Onkyo amps though, I've no experience with Onkyo gear so can't comment personally.

Only cost me a bargain €45 plus post from flea bay.

The other option you have is to get yourself a receiver with two HDMI outs, something like a Onkyo 905, Denon 4308 or Marantaz 7002. Although with a nice new receiver like the 805, an upgrade would be quite excessive.

Also have you considered running the Sky through component to your TV, 1080i is carried easily over component and would save you buying any new equipment (except for maybe a new cable). It would have the added benefit of freeing up a HDMI port on the receiver.

Lindy HDMI Splitter

Yes they do have problems with Onkyos , you actually get a little flyer in with the manual telling you this , more or less ,

Its the one that says if the TV is off then audio may not play , or be interrupted and that " this is not a fault" , so the issue is that without a properly terminated signal path over HDMI the amp may not play audio at all , and the splitter kicks that particular "feature" of the amp in and output is disturbed.

The QED or Geffen units may get around this though , I dont know for sure.

• Advertisement

mathias wrote: »
    Yes they do have problems with Onkyos , you actually get a little flyer in with the manual telling you this , more or less ,

Its the one that says if the TV is off then audio may not play , or be interrupted and that " this is not a fault" , so the issue is that without a properly terminated signal path over HDMI the amp may not play audio at all , and the splitter kicks that particular "feature" of the amp in and output is disturbed.

The QED or Geffen units may get around this though , I dont know for sure.

I had a little trouble getting it set up, the HDMI had to be connected to everything before it would properly sync. Without being plugged into both the PJ and LCD it wouldn't work. At the minute I've only got it passing 1080i video direct from PS3.

I'd imagine QED and Geffen have sorted this short coming.

I'm seeing some splitters with 2-out but I think component might be the best option. I'm using optical for sky sound at the moment. If I use component will sound still be by the optical connection. I haven't looked, is there an assignation in the receiver? Would you know mathias?

My Sky HD is through component and sound through optical. You don't even need to to change the settings on your Sky box, it outputs video through component when you just plug one in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

the 1in 8out is about 500 quid alright... wont be able to check the other prices until monday though

adam

If I use component will sound still be by the optical connection.

You can assign one digital input to each video input , I think you can indeed assign the one digital input to an analog and a HDMI at the same time.

You cannot assign 1 digital input to two hdmi's though , or to two analogs , but that shouldnt be a problem , you just want a component and a HDMI to have the same digital sound input , which can be done.

Entirely my fault but I'm not quite following you there Mathias. Will I need Sky > Component > Amp > Component > LCD or Sky > HDMI > Amp (as it is now) > extra Component > LCD to give me the new AV input on the LCD? Thanks.

You have 4 digital sound inputs.

If the sky box is connected via hdmi , to get surround you also need to connect an optical cable from the sky box to the amp because sky does not do surround over HDMI.

You then must assign the optical sound input to the HDMI that the sky box is connected too ,
    Using the menu for the amp , first you must name the HDMI , call it cable/sat , then you must go to the menus for the digital sound inputs and select the sound input you have the sky box connected to, and assign that to Cable/sat.

Now , you can also assign that input to one of the component connections as well if you like , but you cannot assign 2 sound inputs to one HDMI.
    For example you cant assign two optical sound inputs to one HDMI input.

So for instance , you could connect up the sky box to the amp using both HDMI and component , some people like to do this because they like to set the TV up differently for SD and HD .
    If you do that , you can assign the same digital sound input to say , HDMI 1 and component 1 so that the surround works with both inputs.

I hope thats cleared it up.

Advertisement