Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sat Signal

Options
  • 12-04-2008 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭

I think I know the answer to this one, but no harm getting some expert opionions. Just called over to the in-laws house, they have no signal on the sky box.

Some work was done recently so the cable from dish was left outside uncovered. So I think the cable has got water in it.

The dish looks fine, i.e. hasnt moved and I'm going to bring the box over to my own house now to check it.

Would water in the cable result in a 0 signal/no signal lock etc etc ?

thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

syboit wrote: »
    Would water in the cable result in a 0 signal/no signal lock etc etc ?

thanks...

Yes a serious probelm

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

thanks Tony,

I had another look at the dish and where the cable goes into the lnb looks dodgy aswell, like rust/gunge around the connection :-(. reckon a new cable at least is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I'd clean up the connection and if you get it working seal it with amalgamating tape. If its air spaced cable though the water may travel quite a bit so replacement may be needed as you say.

thanks Tony,

I had another look at the dish and where the cable goes into the lnb looks dodgy aswell, like rust/gunge around the connection :-(. reckon a new cable at least is needed.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

So, I re-visited this last night with a brand new lenght of cable and some tape. But I still get no signal. I also put on one of those sat finders to see if the allignment was wrong (but it just beeped constantly , no matter where the dish was!!).

So does it sound like the lnb is busted ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Try hooking up the box at someone elses house to check if its not the box thats fried.

• Advertisement

barnicles wrote: »
    Try hooking up the box at someone elses house to check if its not the box thats fried.

Yeah, Ive done that, connected the box in my own house and its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

So, I re-visited this last night with a brand new lenght of cable and some tape. But I still get no signal. I also put on one of those sat finders to see if the allignment was wrong (but it just beeped constantly , no matter where the dish was!!).

So does it sound like the lnb is busted ?

Have you made sure you cut back the cable properly before you put on the f connector??
    None of the outer braiding or foil should be in contact with the inner copper centre.

Advertisement