Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths HL Q9

Options
  • 12-04-2008 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭

So I'm kind of struggling at the optional question, question 8. I'll need to put in a lot of work into it to get to grips with it completely.
    I was looking at the question 9 though, probability, and to be honest it doesn't look too challenging. Like I'd be fairly confident in getting 100% in the b parts without putting in one second of extra study. Would it be worth trying to learn the other parts of Q9 myself?

And also, does anyone know any websites that go through this question? I can't find any anywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Question 9 is a great question! I covered this one Saturday afternoon but I like probability so it wasn't much work!
    You'll need to get your hands on the old edition of Text and Tests 5 which covers this topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

alan4cult wrote: »
    You'll need to get your hands on the old edition of Text and Tests 5 which covers this topic.

It can be pretty difficult to get your hands on but i found that one of those 'cramming' books covers both q8 and q9. it was like shortcuts to success or rapid revision or one of those, just go into your local book seller and look through them until you find it. I think it might be shortcuts to success but im not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

alan4cult wrote: »
    Question 9 is a great question! I covered this one Saturday afternoon but I like probability so it wasn't much work!

Yeah I like probability too, which is why I want to study question 9. I got an A in my class probability test, sooo much better than any other chapter.
    sd123 wrote: »
    It can be pretty difficult to get your hands on but i found that one of those 'cramming' books covers both q8 and q9. it was like shortcuts to success or rapid revision or one of those, just go into your local book seller and look through them until you find it. I think it might be shortcuts to success but im not sure.

Ah cool, I'll have a look for that. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Text & Tests, (by O D Morris), LC Mathematics (by Oliver Murphy) and LC mathematics (Aidan Roantree) all have supplementary booklets covering question 9 and question 10.

I have seen them all and they're good, so I suggest you get the one corresponding to your own text. I haven't seen the revision book referred to above, but I imagine that a regular text is better, since it doesn't assume you're revising, and has exercise sets that are structured for first learning rather than revision.

And if you get stuck, you can always seek help on boards.ie!

Text & Tests, (by O D Morris), LC Mathematics (by Oliver Murphy) and LC mathematics (Aidan Roantree) all have supplementary booklets covering question 9 and question 10.

I have seen them all and they're good, so I suggest you get the one corresponding to your own text. I haven't seen the revision book referred to above, but I imagine that a regular text is better, since it doesn't assume you're revising, and has exercise sets that are structured for first learning rather than revision.

And if you get stuck, you can always seek help on boards.ie!

Ah cool. We have text & tests, so I guess I'll look for that one. Is it just like a miniature booklet of some sort?
    I presume available in shops like Eason's etc?

• Advertisement

Yes, you should be able to get it somewhere like Eason's, but, having said that, the options other than Q8 are so unpopular that tyhey mightn't keep it in stock. Often it's the smaller bookshops that are more amenable to ordering something in if they don't have it.

I should clarify one thing: in the case of text and tests, the early editions of the book covered Q 8, 9 and 10. The later version only covers Q8, and I was told (by someone I trust!) that the Further Stats and the Groups had come out as booklets (of the same material). When I refered earlier to having seen all the versions, I meant (in the case of T&T) that I'd seen the material, but it was actually in the first edition of the book.

I can't seem to find any contact details for Celtic Press on the web, but any bookshop that stocks their books will presumably be able to contact them to order it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

Yes, you should be able to get it somewhere like Eason's, but, having said that, the options other than Q8 are so unpopular that tyhey mightn't keep it in stock. Often it's the smaller bookshops that are more amenable to ordering something in if they don't have it.

I should clarify one thing: in the case of text and tests, the early editions of the book covered Q 8, 9 and 10. The later version only covers Q8, and I was told (by someone I trust!) that the Further Stats and the Groups had come out as booklets (of the same material). When I refered earlier to having seen all the versions, I meant (in the case of T&T) that I'd seen the material, but it was actually in the first edition of the book.

I can't seem to find any contact details for Celtic Press on the web, but any bookshop that stocks their books will presumably be able to contact them to order it.

i just had a look of my T&T 5 9 further calculus abd series m i didnt see further probability there is only probability

i don't think Q8 is that bad..maybe it just me ..good luck =)

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Hm i have one of those revision book, Revise Wise in maths and it covers Q9. They do examples and some main rules.. if you really want it you can always reffer to that ;)
    Btw the old texts and tests should also have a probability option, our teacher was talking about it a while ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

in our school you arent given an option on ur "option" you're just told to do Q8, i was jst wondering why is that??! Text and tests 5, the newer 1, only covers chapter 8 as well, its crazy. Why do they call it the option question then not actually give an option in the book??! No wonder Q8 is so popular!!! :mad:

in our school you arent given an option on ur "option" you're just told to do Q8, i was jst wondering why is that??! Text and tests 5, the newer 1, only covers chapter 8 as well, its crazy. Why do they call it the option question then not actually give an option in the book??! No wonder Q8 is so popular!!! :mad:

Same for my school, and practically all schools. Something like 95% of students do Q8, 5% do Q9 and the rest do one of the other two. I don't know why tbh. Maybe because the maths syllabus is so big, generally teachers think it'd be just easier to teach just one.
    There's more material available on Q8 which is why I guess most teachers choose that one to teach.

• Advertisement

Mark200 wrote: »
    I was looking at the question 9 though, probability, and to be honest it doesn't look too challenging. Like I'd be fairly confident in getting 100% in the b parts without putting in one second of extra study. Would it be worth trying to learn the other parts of Q9 myself?

Im totally of the same opinion as you mark, i was looking at some of the question 9s earlier and i honestly would be confident in getting 25 marks out of 50 without ever studying the chapter!!! :D However as our teacher refuses to dedicate class time to it ive gotten an old copy of T&T5 to do it myself. It looks basic enough, but does anyone know if everything's done in this section or has the course changed since these books were written?? Thanks

The present courses at Higher and Ordinary level were introduced in September 1992 and first examined in June 1994. (c.f page 3 of the last chief examiner's report: http://www.examinations.ie/archive/examiners_reports/cer_2005/LCMathematics.pdf)

So, assuming the book you're looking at was published around then, it's the right stuff. (It couldn't be anything else, really, since text&tests 5 from the old course in the eighties is completely different, and doesn't even have a chapter on this topic.)

Im totally of the same opinion as you mark, i was looking at some of the question 9s earlier and i honestly would be confident in getting 25 marks out of 50 without ever studying the chapter!!! :D However as our teacher refuses to dedicate class time to it ive gotten an old copy of T&T5 to do it myself. It looks basic enough, but does anyone know if everything's done in this section or has the course changed since these books were written?? Thanks

Did you just get it off a friend or something?
    I was in town today so I just had a look in Eason's on O' Connell street, but they didn't have it. I haven't had a chance to look anywhere else yet, I just happened to be passing Eason's.

Mark200 wrote: »
    Did you just get it off a friend or something?
    I was in town today so I just had a look in Eason's on O' Connell street, but they didn't have it. I haven't had a chance to look anywhere else yet, I just happened to be passing Eason's.

You'll never get it in easons, its too old your best bet is trying around the school. i got one off the maths teacher, she had a whole pile of them.

Advertisement