Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving In France

Options
  • 11-04-2008 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭

Well I'm just after booking myself on a ferry to France in a few weeks :)

Has anyone got any tips on driving in France (i've been there many times but never drove there myself).
    Things I remember include

- Speed limit drops from 130 - 110 km/h on motorways when raining/wet/snow etc
    - I'll be driving on the right ;)
    - People indicate, and use the overtaking lane appropriately :)
    - Motorway's are often tolled.
    - Heavy fines for foreigners speeding.

What is their stance on using headlights for general driving?, I use them all the time here (not the fogs! :mad:)

Also, is there a cheap procedure for modifying my lights for night-driving so I don't blind other road users?, I probably wont be doing much (if any) night time driving but I'd like to be prepared.

Finally, what's the procedure regarding insurance?, Do I need to get a Green Card(or something like that, could be called something else), or just notify my company (will there be an extra charge?).

Thanks,
    Cionád

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

Just ring your insurance company and inform them of your intention to travel.

As far as lights go, AFAIK, you can buy Stick on tape (Beam deflectors) to block the beam from blinding oncoming drivers, or there is (or was, not sure if its still available) a yellow translucent paint that can be painted on the headlights to reduce the glare.

P.S. bring the spare set of keys and AA membership would'nt be a bad idea either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

The only things I'd add are:

Bring a hi-viz jacket with you in the car, not in the boot.
    Make sure you have a breakdown triangle and first aid kit too.
    Fit reflector adjustment stickers - 10.99 in Halfords.

As regards the driving bit:

Don't panic when cars come VERY close to you before overtaking. It's a national sport. Hold a steady pace (at a suitably high speed, inside the law of course) and let them make their move. Expect them to pull in right in front of you too.

Keep your wits about you if you're driving into cities, and try to visualise where you're going so you can keep lane changes to a minimum. Personally, I'd park outside the big cities and take a bus/train in and out.

If you're using a GPS (recommended), make sure the maps are up to date, but be prepared for a bit of route-finding. It seems that many changes don't make it onto the mapping updates in time, at least that's what I've found with my Garmin.

Depending on where you're going and for what purposes - Formula1 are a cheap and cheerful motel chain that will cost less for a room than B&B for one person here at this time of year.

Take a break every now and then at the excellent roadside facilities you'll find about France.

Motorways can be expensive enough, but they sure take a lot of pressure off....Be sensible about using them though - 2 weeks driving/travelling around France could add as much as your ferry costs if you're putting up the mileage.

Get AA European breakdown assistance - It'll be provided by the French AA equivalent, who actually have vans patrolling and waiting around the motorway and primary routes waiting for calls. Never used them, but would have been glad if they'd been needed. It can cost extra if your car is over 8 years old, but it's worth it I reckon for the peace of mind.

Make sure you've a credit card with a good few quid on it in case of repairs/tyres/emergency expenses. Even a simple breakdown could cost you a fair bit in extras...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

you lucky git. I did this a few years back great trip - probably the best holiday we had. We did Paris, Euro Disney, then headed south to Nice and caught the monaco GP, from there over to north italy, switzerland (Geneva) and back.

As for driving there...
    Stay alert.
    Don't daudle - they are fairly impatient

You should be able to adjust your lights yourself - check the owners manual, else the lenses may have markings on them you just black this out.

the french are way way better drivers than your used to here in Ireland.

Enjoy -

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Bring a set of spare bulbs. It is a requirement for driving in France. Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

thanks guys,

RobAMerc that sounds like a great trip, in time i'll be able to do similar. :) I can only go for a week this time, but plan to go back in September for 2 or 3 more weeks, so this time I'll probably be staying around the Brittany area.

I got a quote there from the AA for cover for 7 days and it works out at 200 euro which I think is a bit steep. The car has never broken down before so I tihnk i might jus gamble with that one. [98 Almera] Tight budget!

I'll pick up the beam reflectors, bulbs, a warning triangle & first-aid. Notify the insurance (bound to be messy with Quinn!). Probably wont be using many of the toll motorways cause they start south of Nantes iirc, and Nantes will probably by the most south i'll venture. Will try to borrow GPS too to make things easier.

Thanks again! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

If you do happen to break down on a motorway in France it'll cost you an arm and a leg to get the car removed if you've no breakdown cover. Maybe try to avoid them completely if you're not keen on paying for cover?

Don't forget your licence and fill the boot on the way back!

Spit62500 wrote: »
    If you do happen to break down on a motorway in France it'll cost you an arm and a leg to get the car removed if you've no breakdown cover. Maybe try to avoid them completely if you're not keen on paying for cover?

Don't forget your licence and fill the boot on the way back!

Yea I know its a bit of a gamble, but i'll have the credit card to bail me out of those situations should they arise :) Also I'd prefer to use the more scenic routes to the motorway anyway.

The rear suspension will be put to the test on the return journey I can assure you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ioshmearse

I drove in Languedoc-Rouissilon last year for the first time - one noticeable difference was lane discipline as you mentioned, the outside lane is for overtaking only (as it should be here) and if you are in the outside lane travelling at or near the speed limit drivers, will drive up your ar.. until you move out of the way, no flashing lights just hanging on the bumper of the car in front until it moves in. Then they pull back into the mid/inner lane, sooo close to any car behind as gildub points out,

And yes, they do use indicators.

Guide books dont recommend using services car parks of peages to sleep but I had to take a quick nap and pulled into a busy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

You may want to get this checked as it's been a few years since I lived there (I lived in Paris for 5 years, but that was12 years ago and so it may have changed), but be careful on roundabouts as some of them you have priority if you're on them (like here) but on some smaller ones, you actually have priority if you're joining the roundabout (so you have to stop to let people on !!!!). Hahaha, got to love that.

If you can manage the general Irish lack of understanding of roundabouts then you'll be fine (try the one on the old N4 near Kilcock to see what I mean about that).

The same happens on some of the smaller roads in towns in that people joining from the right have priority.

Just be careful and watch what everybody else is doing and you'll be OK.

The yellow headlight thing was phased out a few years ago and you don't see many cars driving around with them any more.

I think that somebody else mentioned that you can buy beam benders in Halfords before you go (or pay twice as much for them on the ferry).

In general you'll be fine, the French will recognise that you're not local and so won't consider you fair game, they'll probably leave you well alone.

BTW, I was back there last year and fuel was a fierce price - think diesel was around euro1.45 a litre, but absolutely everything else is cheaper.

I was back last year and drove from Calais to Paris, Paris to Saint Malo, St Malo to Calais and had no problems at all.

Try checking something like the AA or RAC webpages, they've probably got decent advice and I think that the ferry companys had some tips on their pages last time I looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭AdrianC

My only tip would be for the end of your trip: finish on an almost empty tank of fuel, allowing at least an extra 20 bottles of wine to be safely loaded.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

last time I checked diesel was cheaper than here...petrol is dearer.

Driving is generally fine - as mentioned the outside lane is for overtaking - go out, overtake (one or two cars) and get back in.

French are supposedly getting stricter this year on safety and drinking. Look at the maps and check the fixed camera locations so when you see the guys ahead slowing down you'll understand (they are usually preceded by signs).

You are alo supposed to carry a copy of your registration docs. Green cards seem to depend on the company...some years we have been issued with them and other years not.

Having been caught in a petrol strike on our first year we now keep a half tank. Filling up is cheaper at hypermarkets that Total etc.

French drivers are generally fine but be careful at roundabouts and remember to look left...

However don't worry - French roads are better and seem to have less muppets and slow moving vehicles (unless its an Operation Escargot).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I drove down to spain from calais last year on a bike. Nice trip,the roads in general are fantastic. If your not using motorways and visiting a lot of smallish towns I recommend checking out the fuel card system they use over there,basically money taken form your current account. I got caught out a couple of times where the assistant in the petrol station finished at six and after that you have to use the card,which I hadn't got.I probably could have used my credit card,but in a strange deserted village in the dark I wasn't sticking my card in anything. Even though I saw very few sights I was very taken with France in general,going back this year for a couple of trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭skibum

We have brought the car on 4 of the last 5 trips to France, I love driving over there, they have great lane disipline, no hogging the left lane. The French treat round abouts like a game of chicken :p, just play by their rules!

Get a satnav, they are cheap now and will take a lot of pressure off your driving, and cut down on the "discussions"that you will have over your map reading skills!!

Regarding insurance we have used this crowd for the last 4 years: http://www.jlt.ie/ last year it cost us approx €100 euro for a 1 year family multi-trip policy that also had continental motor breakdown assistance (through europ assistance). Going to renew it soon as we are going for a week in May. looking forward to trying out the "new" Irish Feries ship, Oscar Wilde, have heard good reports from friends who just came back from a booze cruise.

Main thing is to relax and don't worry about driving on the "wrong" side of the road, after the first few KM's and junctions it will be second nature.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

This could be urban legend as I can't remember where I heard it.

On the motorways, they record your time between toll stations and if you reach the next one too quickly then it's an automatic speeding fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭skibum

stevec wrote: »
    This could be urban legend as I can't remember where I heard it.

On the motorways, they record your time between toll stations and if you reach the next one too quickly then it's an automatic speeding fine.

That is no urban legend, when you enter a toll road the ticket has the time it was issued on it, the cops sometimes will pull you over after you leave the toll road and do a quick calculation of your average speed. I have only seen this twice, but watch out for mobile speed traps through villages, saw a good few in Brittany last year. Thsy take no bull****, it's an on the spot fine.

Great advice there guys

Just checked on theAA.ie website and Diesel is on average 1.17 over there, and its the petrol that is dearer(1.32) :)

The average speed trick is to take a break, fill up at a rest station, at least once between each toll booth. ;) I'll be sticking to the limit though, not worth the risk of messing up the holiday!

I'm taking the Oscar Wilde too, bound to be better than that Normandy rubbish it's replacing! It's funny their 'new' ship was built 20 years ago. :eek:

I've been meaning to get a SatNav so might just get it before I go (cause i'd never be using it in Ireland really).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

dubtom wrote: »
    I probably could have used my credit card.

In my experience it was fuel card or nothing, unless it was an attended petrol station.

Well I'm back (if anyone cares!),

Summary:It was fantastic driving on a dual carriageway where the overtaking lane was used purely for overtaking! They pull in after nearly every car they pass, even if just for a second or two, none of this "im overtaking now so ill stick myself in the overtaking lane for 5 minutes while I gradually make the distance between the cars". It means the faster vehicles can overtake faster and so on.

I must say they are not great with roundabouts though, indicating even less than the Irish! But with just about 1300 miles done in the week not one near miss, not one time did I need to flash someone or did something crazy happen. In contrast, I had to flash about 6 cars on the way up to Dublin from Rosslare this morning hogging the overtaking lane for no reason, and also had to move into the hard shoulder as a car overtook another on the opposite side on a blind bend and over a double white line! I felt at home :p

The Nissan held up well (151k miles now!), didn't bother with the breakdown cover in the end - the quote was 175 euro for 8 days!!

Diesel was 138.9, Petrol 149.9 in Supermarchés, and on the motorway diesel was 143.9, Petrol 156.9 on average.

20 bottles of wine, check!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Cionád wrote: »
    20 bottles of wine, check!

Glad you remembered the most important bit:D.

Advertisement