Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3g iphone confirmed for June..sort of

Options
  • 11-04-2008 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

Been reading macrumours the last few days and there is a lot of news on the iphone front but this article seems to confirm it all. Interesting read and macrumours are a reliable source. Only question is when will it be released after the June announcement? Also they mention nothing of an upgraded camera or mms ( no signs of it in the 2.0 beta either). The chipset now has the possibility for 5mp camera though so I wonder will apple give the people what they want. Better camera, mms and some changes to the sms app.

And I'm still waiting on my iphone to ship..eek!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

I wouldn't have any problems buying an iPhone now. I have mine only a week also.

Its inevitable now that the 3g iPhone will be announced in June. I stress the word announced. The original iPhone was announced months before its release. An announcement in june would mean the phone wouldn't be out until autumn in america, at the earliest. I wouldn't expect to see it on sale in Ireland until Christmas, at the earliest.

Personally edge speeds don't bother me all, and currently the iPhone is my only source of net access outside of work!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Its not the 3g bit that would entice me.. its a better camera. I think the thickness of the iphone is nice. I prefer it to hold over my ipod touch which i think is too slim for the size of it. Maybe just me though. And it could go both ways really. They sort of announced one the last time by saying there would be one but they didn't have the right chips yet. So it could be announced and sold straight away with a 2week pre-order or somehing like a lot of their hardware. Or then again it could be a long time. I don't think o2 will move quickly on it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Camera quality would be the deciding factor for me too.

However, bearing in mind how long it takes for phones to become available here plus the fact that O2 have a monopoly on it, i won't be expecting it any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

I don't think O2 will push a 3G one too quickly as they have only released the current one and they don't really push 3G technology to the same extent as Vodafone. Also look how long it takes them to bring a phone out with all the testing they do. You're looking at months generally.
    However I am still undecided whether to ditch my N95 and pick 1 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Nokia are rumoured to be launching a touch screen phone this summer

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/04/09/nokias-touchscreen-tube-out-in-the-wilds/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

richieg wrote: »
    I don't think O2 will push a 3G one too quickly as they have only released the current one and they don't really push 3G technology to the same extent as Vodafone. Also look how long it takes them to bring a phone out with all the testing they do. You're looking at months generally.

not up to o2 as to whether or not this gets launched.

tbh anyone who takes a contract with o2 for an iphone likes to be raped in the wallet.

there will be a revision made to the iphone and i think as soon as it's announced it will be on sale, all the signs point to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

richieg wrote: »

aw jeez the N95 is a million times better than that yoke.

also the 3G iphone will probably come with a whole stack of new anti-unlocking and anti-jailbreaking features. and i'm guessing the battery will be actually sandwiched between some of the layers on the logic board. to defeat those evil third party battery replacements for once and for all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

jcrowbar wrote: »
    Its inevitable now that the 3g iPhone will be announced in June. I stress the word announced. The original iPhone was announced months before its release. An announcement in june would mean the phone wouldn't be out until autumn in america, at the earliest. I wouldn't expect to see it on sale in Ireland until Christmas, at the earliest.

The new model will ship worldwide very soon after it's announcement. You can't compare the upcoming iPhone release schedule with that of the current model. Apple used the original announcement to build hype and awareness over the following months. There was nothing to loose from that strategy; unlike now. The second Apple announces a new iPhone, sales of the original will drop to almost zero. They, and their partners, will not sustain that for any great length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

towel401 wrote: »
    aw jeez the N95 is a million times better than that yoke.

also the 3G iphone will probably come with a whole stack of new anti-unlocking and anti-jailbreaking features. and i'm guessing the battery will be actually sandwiched between some of the layers on the logic board. to defeat those evil third party battery replacements for once and for all

It runs the exact same firmware as the current iphone!... and with pwnage and 2.0 already hacked before its released I wouldn't worry there.

Advertisement